Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walcott or Chesterfield?
I've got a couple of days free next week (Tuesday and Wednesday) and have been looking to get out and try somewhere new for the ice and I'll have a couple first timers tagging along to try and spark their interest in the ice.

I'm up in Rexburg and so most of my fishing has been fairly close. I'm hoping to get into some nice Rainbows. Any advice? I

'm thinking either Walcott or Chesterfield but I haven't been to either for the hard deck so any info would be great. Also if anybody is planning on being out either of those days I wouldn't be opposed to meeting up. Always fun to meet more BFTers out on the hard deck. Good luck out there y'all![fishon]
[signature]
Heard the ice was kinda iffy at Walcott, but the fish are over 20 inches. Call the park office. Good is at greys landing at salmon falls creek res. nice trout and a few walleye.
[signature]
The great thing about Chesterfield is to be there early in the morning and if the fish are not biting by 11:00 call it quits. Then you are only about 1.25-1.5 hours from Deep or Devil and you can salvage your day. By the way the time frame is set up to set up not driving. Lava Hot Springs is near by to end the day and welcome evening.

OC
[signature]
Walcott is sketchy at best ,was out there today and there is a lot of open water. the river is just about ice free above Gifford springs and most of the north side is free of ice. There is some ice that is still fish able on the south side but who knows for how long. did find a cool pressure ridge tho. If it was me look more towards chesterfield the magic valley has been loosing its ice fast a local pond i have been fishing after work went from 11 inches 2 weeks ago to 5 inches yesterday [frown]

[Image: pressureridge2-_zps9cacf08b.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the pic. I really enjoy seeing things like that. You made my day.
[signature]
Wow! That is a calendar quality picture right there! Awesome! That's crazy that Walcott is already so open... Would it be worth it to try to shore fish at all? Chesterfield is definitely more of a safe bet but I wouldn't have the first idea where to go on the ice.
[signature]
Thanks Guys, Its Sad to see the ice go just been getting to warm during the day. Im sure someone will give you some ideas on Chesterfield I know when we fished it we did pretty good just out from the boat ramp. Im going to try to find some ice at walcott Sunday I will let you know what i find but the area im looking at is hard to get down too ya have about 25 to 30 feet of rock face But it does get a lot of shade
[signature]
Fishing was good from 9 to 11 then was slow landed 5 between 2 and 4 pounds ice was 7 to 8 inches and loaded with sand, ordered new auger blades 3 other groups out there with just about the same success. pm me if you want to know where But i would still look at chesterfield.
[signature]