Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wasteland Weturn 1-27-14
[#0000FF]Met up with WH2 Monday for what we thought might be our final jaunt on Willard this winter. Weather forecast for coming week looks bad for safe ice conditions. Already going downhill.

We got on the ice...carefully...about 7:30 and had first holes drilled long before the sun climbed over the mountains and through the clouds. Air temp 22, with no wind. Frost formations on any little patches of snow and along the numerous new cracks in the ice. Some made purty l'il frost flowers. It stayed cold enough all day that they stayed intact at least until I left about 3. Air temp just over freezing.

Another cold morning...for fishing too. WH2 only brought a hand auger...for the 10" ice. He set up and stayed pretty much in one spot until late morning. I moved around a lot...drilling several sets of holes. We both saw fish moving through our zone but they all had lockjaw. Nary a sniff.

Curt announced on our walkie talkies that the best bite over the weekend had begun between 10 and 10:30. At 10:10 I had my first good bite and rassled a chunky kitty up to the hole. Unfortunately, he had rolled in my line and came into the hole tail first. As I was trying to coax it up out of the hole it did a roll and power dive...cutting the line on the sharp edges of a pectoral fin spine. Score: fish 1, TD zip.

After another half hour of seeing little...and catching less...WH2 and I decided to join Mike4Cobra further out on the ice. He had stopped by briefly to chat, on his way out to a couple of spots he had GPSed. He had texted Curt that he was at least getting bites and that was good enough for us. Bites is better than no bites.

Shortly after we joined Mike he began catching fish. First a couple of nice perch...including one toad over 12 inches. Then he got beat up by a cookie cutter kitty. But he won and I grabbed it with my custom made fish grabber to pull it up through the hole.

Then Curt scored a couple of perch. But I still remained fishless. Only the memory of a catfish lost. Wondered if this would be a rare skunk day.

When action stopped and there were no more fish marks coming through on our sonars we elected to relocate to a spot that had produced for Mike and Curt on Saturday. Good move. Curt picked up several more perch...including a footlong that was his biggest...at least before I left about 2:30.

I finally got on the board too. First with our solo crappie...about a 10 incher. Then, with a 13 inch plus perch...our largest. I caught both fish after announcing I was going to leave...even having all my gear except my sonar loaded in the sled. Then, noticing marks on the screen I dropped down for the crappie about 1:30...and the perch just after 2. We observed that my leaving seemed to bring the fish in. So, to help out my fishing buddies, I did leave at about 2:30. But I noticed they were both still there as I drove off about 3:30. I hope I brought them more luck by my departure.

Great day on the ice guys...even if the fishing was slow (as usual). I think we all agreed that catching even a few fish on Willard is more rewarding than covering the ice with fish on some other lakes. At least none of us had to drive home smelling skunk.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Very nice report, thanks TD, WH2 and Mike4cobra.

Cool setup and pics.

Gotta like those chairs with the rest for the coffee.

AllFish
[signature]
I'm glad you guys decided to join me out there. Even if the fishing was slow the conversations were good. I think you cried wolf too many times on leaving, the fish weren't buying it anymore. See you on soft water[fishon]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry I couldn't help more.

I've heard the statement "wearing out his welcome". I guess I wore out my leaving.

I agree on good conversations. I might get a bit thick with 3 die-hard fishermen sharing the same area but another applicable saying is "misery loves company". And that was what I said to Curt as we decided to join you.

Hope the soft water comes soon this year. Be a good chance to test our theory on early season on low water...if it remains a bit clear.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That last pic was beautiful!

As for the frost flowers. that is surface hoar at it's finest. Luckily willard will never avalanche, no matter how much new snow falls on the surface hoar.

Great little outing though man, way better than where I went on Sunday!
I always find that when I am about to ditch a spot for better waters the fish suddenly turn on.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks fer the kindly comments. Glad you liked the pics. You guys do pretty good your ownselves.

The "getting ready to leave" tactic is a proven one. Just about like trying to take a bite of a sandwich or taking care of a call of nature. That's when those diabolical fishies decide to bite.

Another pic of the shoreline from a different angle. I actually like this one better because it shows off the mountains better. You will also notice that there is little snow between the ice and the parking area. Makes for some "tough sledding" when pulling a heavy sled with a power auger.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#484848]Hey, at least you got some with some shoulders.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[#484848]Custom made fish grabber? Is it a long one?[/#484848]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#484848]Hey, at least you got some with some shoulders.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[#484848]Custom made fish grabber? Is it a long one?[/#484848][/quote]

[#0000ff]I am attaching some explanatory pics. Basically, I just modified a 20 inch "reach tool/grabber" to make it more efficient for latching on to fish...in the hole or laying on the ice. It has proven effective both for saving lines in the ice hole and for picking up fish scattered around on the ice...especially for an old dude with a complaining back.

I also added some bent clothes hanger wire to use either on a belt...or to hang on your chair for easy access. The gripping modifications were accomplished by running some 3/4" machine screws down through the tough plastic gripper ends. You could use longer screws or even thin sharp nails. The main idea is to have them slanted slightly backward to improve the hold on a struggling fish. So far it has worked on some nice sized trout and catfish. Not sure about pike but it will hold a pretty good load.

Prior to this model, I was using (and still do) some cheapy reaching tools from Harbor Freight...under $2. They are longer and not quite as strong. But I used a heat gun (from Harbor Freight) to bend the thin tips inward...overlapping. These also have saved some decent sized fish from escaping at the hole. And they have picked up a grundle of fishsicles from the ice. Also useful for picking up various items dropped by clumsy old guys. Here's some photo links from an old post.
[/#0000ff]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=44387"]36 INCH GRIPPERS.jpg[/url] (136 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=44388"]MODIFIED & ORIGINAL.jpg[/url] (351 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=44389"]OVERBITE.jpg[/url] (337 KB)
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#000000][#484848]I like the black and yellow one ....... A friend of mine, who is wheelchair bound, has a good nylon one that he has fixed up the grippers with some small pieces of bandsaw blades ...... He doesn't recall where he got the nice nylon one at, but I would like to find one.[/#484848] [/#000000]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I got two of those Pick Stix from Amazon. They have a big selection of different reachers-grabbers in their online store.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#484848]Thanks TD ...... I'll order the 26 inch Pick Stix in the morning.[/#484848]
[signature]
Those edges doesn't look as bad as this pictures [laugh]. This was one great death trap.
[inline "Yuba , utah lake ect 01 28 2014 010.JPG"]
[signature]
I was reading you post yesterday when my puter went down, after many hours of trouble shooting, I finally just got it up and running.
Enjoyed getting out there with you and Mike again, good times, and when your catching a few fat fish it makes it all the better. No big numbers caught but it was the largest number I have ever been a part of catching at Willard during the Winter. I believe it was 9 total, that actually made it to the top of the hard deck. Hopefully the catching isn't over yet at Willard but the rain today and predictions of more to come, has me worried about how the ice will hold up. Here are a couple of my pics.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry about the computer. Glad you were able to do some CPR and get it breathing again. I wondered why you hadn't chimed in.

I was thinking that your perch catch was possibly your personal best...especially through the ice. I wonder if the perch will get in a good spawn this year. That big lady jumbo I filleted was stuffed with eggs that were getting loose...ready to spawn. But I have fears that with the shallow water and lack of flooded vegetation or structure that the spawn might not produce much for future fun.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So - mind my asking? Where do you get on the lake, and do you have to pay the parking fee?

Sounds like a challenging ice adventure, but you guys seem to have some hot spots, and the hot hand to wrassle up them footballs!

chunky monkies!

Thanks for the report Pat - I'm still doing my Elmer Fudd "when weading yaw titawl"
[#0000ff]Thank you vewy much. Heh, heh, heh. Anybody seen dat wascally wabbit?

You can't get on the ice at the ramp. Open water in the channel. You can unload your gear next to the grassy area and then park in the lot. Or...as we did...you can park in front of the fish cleaning station and watercraft rental building and launch from the Eagle Beach area. You are still subject to daily use fees...but haven't seen any rangers checking.

If you choose the former, you have to drag the sled across the grass, down the rocky rubble shoreline, through the brush and weeds and look for a place to get on safely. A longer drag and tough duty coming back in.

The latter is much shorter and there was more snow on the ground to make the sled drag easier. I suspect that there will be even more snow now. It is probably still not a good idea to go straight out from the fish cleaning park area. There was a big pressure break in the ice on Monday. Better to angle out to the point and look for ice piled up on shore...as in my pic. That is good thick ice but you need cleats to navigate the slick slanted surface.

This current storm might change everything.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I finally found out that my modem had gone bad and it was just a matter of driving South a bit and getting a new one, then setting it up again. It took some time and when dealing with Comcast I also lost my phone but when I was finished I got a nice upgrade and it only cost me a little gas to drive down and get the new one.
Yes that was my personal best for perch out of Willard, I also threw back that little one that you called a jumbo if it were caught at the View[Wink]. There is a spot South of Eagle beach, where the trees are, before Freeway bay, that has a lot of stickups from the last drought, 10 years ago, that might be the the only spawning area left but I agree, it won't be like when the lake is full. A lot of stickups along the South dike are out of the water now but I guess the water might come up a little before they spawn, even though it is unlikely. I guess we can keep our fingers crossed.
[signature]
Pat gave you some good info John but I will add the DNR/State Parks are checking and have been giving tickets, especially on the weekends, so don't take any chances, it is not worth the fine.
[signature]
Curt, that was a nice catch, looks like the fewer numbers of Willard might be worth it considering the size... Nice job... J
[signature]
So very true Jeff and there is always a chance to catch a walleye or wiper, plus there is less fish to filet for the same amount of meat. Of those five I brought home, it was like 10 to 15 of the View's 9" perch.
[signature]