Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Kayote!
Every couple of weeks I head out to Myton to do some duck hunting. I was thinking about driving the extra half hour to try some ice fishing at Pelican. Do you know if it has frozen yet? If so, I know that the action dies down there pretty fast. How long does the catching typically stay good through the ice? I'm looking to pick up a couple of species (for IFG's contest) that would be harder to get down this way.

-Jack
[signature]
I was also wondering if you knew if Starvation ever freezes hard enough for safe fishing.
[signature]
I just saw that you were on.

BUMP
[signature]
Drove by Starvation on Saturday and the air temp was 47 degrees and the reservoir seemed it wasnt even thinking of ice yet. I have ice fished on starvation, and the last few years when I have drove out there late in the winter (feb) i have seen people ice fishing on it.
[signature]
I don't know about Pelican, but as far as Starvation goes, it does freeze in the back bays every year. The main lake areas have not frozen to my security level in years. Keep in mind that Bullock now has 20ish inch Tiger Muskie in it. It should be frozen within the next couple of weeks. Pelican has been so low this year that I can't imagine it not being frozen, but I'll have to make a trip out to find out. Starvation is still open water as far as what you can see from Hwy 40. I have not made a trip to Knight Hollow yet. When I do, I'll let you know what it looks like.
[signature]
Shrimpboy,

Pelican has about 6 inches of ice. However, they are filling it so the edges are soft. Had to use a board to get on the ice last weekend. Fishing was fantastic. Pelican is always best right after ice up. I have found the last few years that you can always catch fish at Pelican, but you just have to work harder at it sometimes. Fishing is hot right now though. Get out there and do some catching, Good Luck.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I've never fished Pelican through the ice. Do you stay near the reeds or go out and find structure in the middle? Is it safe to get to the water from the highway on the east? Any ducks around? I know that they usually keep a place open for themselves in the middle.

-Jack
[signature]
I don't usually fish along the highway, but a lot of people do. Fishing can be good anywhere on the lake depending on the day. When I go, I almost always start from the piece of DWR ground on the north side of the lake. I go from the end of the point out maybe a couple hundred feet. I usually start in about 3 feet of water. If I don't get bit, I'll move a couple hundred feet south. I'll continue this until I find fish or hit the boat ramp (LOL). I usually use a 1/16 ounce jig through the ice tipped with a meal worm. I often attach a bare hook dropper also and put on another rmealworm. I only do this if it's slow, because if it's fast you'll go through a bazillion worms with the double rig. If I want to catch largemouth at Pelican, I use a 1/4 oz chartreuse jig with a mealworm. I've found if I'm catching lots of bluegill, I need to move to get big bass. I'll keep going deeper until I start hitting bass. Here's another tip for fun at the Pel. Buy the two pole stamp. I use a rod holder and set my drag very loose on one rig. I put a whole night crawler on a #2 baitholder with a split shot. I'll just leave this on the bottom while I fish for gills and bass with another rig. The whole crawler will pick up big largemouth, big bullheads and the occaisional monster channel cat. It seems to always produce some extra fish. Trust me on the chartruese jigs for bass. I don't know why, but I have been killing them for years on this color through the ice. It also works at Steinaker. One thing to keep in mind for bluegill. I know it's common sense, but if you see anglers congregating in one area, go there. Bluegill school under the ice, and sometimes it's WFO on bluegill in just that area. Good luck to you my friend.

Good Fishing, Kayote

Big Al and K2 at Pelican.

[Image: l25742.jpg]
[signature]