Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grass Carp
In the new 2014 regs, which I have been reviewing, Grass Carp are listed on the species of sensitive fish that if caught must be immediately released.

Ummm......?

Are they not a non native nuisance species? People around Lake Michigan probably wouldn't immediately release one, nor condone it.

Also, from some of the reports I have heard of or seen regarding the biomass of fish in the Colorado drainage, there is a really healthy population of flannelmouth suckers, and decent numbers of blue heads. Couldn't a small harvest be feasible? If the populations are healthy, is the ban just to please the more liberal folk? They are never going to be a popular species or heavily targeted, but they are far from endangered.

Just wondering.
[signature]
I don't find GRASS CARP that common here. In fact I have yet to see one. There are tons of common carp and mirror, but no grass carp.
[signature]
Grass carp are just put in community ponds to control the weeds. They want them left in there to control things. Also they get very large not sure if you can tie a weed fly to catch them.
[signature]
I see they are in put them in Salem as you said to control vegetation. I know they can be caught on a fly, just haven't come across any yet. [Wink] I have caught them before, just not here in Utah. May have to check out the community ponds[Smile]
[signature]
There's tons in Salem Pond. Real fun to catch. Never caught one on a fly rod though.
[signature]
Isn't it hard cap right now?
[signature]
I would imagine so. And I don't believe ice fishing is allowed. I haven't fished there in a couple years. But used to catch the Grass Carp on bread all the time.
[signature]
One day we saw some large grass carp eating pollen off the surface of the water at Salem Pond. We threw a small topwater plug with a yellow belly at them, and they ate it right up. I bet you could tie a fly that they would eat. We used to make bread imitating flies to catch common carp at places where people fed the ducks.
[signature]
My grandma lives in Salem right near Salem Pond. There is a lot of grass carp in Salem Pond. They were purchased by the city residents to control the moss on the pond. If they are caught. They do have to be immediately released. As for the ice on Salem Pond. I've only seen it freeze once in my life in the last 35 years, and it was just a skim of ice. The pond is fed from severval springs. Currently the pond has open water. I have caught grass carp before on the pond using bread. They are a blast! Most of the carp are pushing 15-20 lbs, and around 3-4 feet long!
[signature]
[quote Duckbutter]In the new 2014 regs, which I have been reviewing, Grass Carp are listed on the species of sensitive fish that if caught must be immediately released.

Ummm......?

Are they not a non native nuisance species? People around Lake Michigan probably wouldn't immediately release one, nor condone it.

Also, from some of the reports I have heard of or seen regarding the biomass of fish in the Colorado drainage, there is a really healthy population of flannelmouth suckers, and decent numbers of blue heads. Couldn't a small harvest be feasible? If the populations are healthy, is the ban just to please the more liberal folk? They are never going to be a popular species or heavily targeted, but they are far from endangered.

Just wondering.[/quote]

So, back to the original post, as I original said, they are not that common. Seem to be located in one pond ( on purpose and sterile). So, that explains the concern on the fishes part. At least "this" case makes sense.[Smile]
[signature]
kill em all .. the grass is what makes the fishin good. gunnersville the harris chain in fla lake Conroe it texas all wiped out by grass carp...we don't have weeds here.. if you think that we have a weed problem then you must go to other parts of the country weeds give life....who cares if you cant fish it like you think you should there are other ways to get em in the grass..
[signature]
Grass Carp are used to help control over vegetated community ponds. They DO help somewhat with the problem
Grass Carp are only placed in ponds that need their help. Their populations are easy to control because they are sterile.
The DWR is doing the right thing by using these fish in community ponds that have vegetation problems.
Requiring their immediate release helps protect these fish, which also makes sense.
[signature]
[quote Duckbutter]
Also, from some of the reports I have heard of or seen regarding the biomass of fish in the Colorado drainage, there is a really healthy population of flannelmouth suckers, and decent numbers of blue heads. Couldn't a small harvest be feasible? If the populations are healthy, is the ban just to please the more liberal folk? They are never going to be a popular species or heavily targeted, but they are far from endangered. [/quote]

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
[signature]