Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry / Current Creek Report
Went to the Berry this a.m. and fished Mud Creek. 5-6 inches of ice for the first few hundred yards. 25-30 people there. Fished in 16 feet of water. I caught (4) 17 - 19 inch cuts. My son caught (1) 19 inch cut and a real fat 17 inch bow, which he kept (the bow that is) Others were catching fish also. It was pretty slow, so we left at 9:30 and drove to Current Creek Res. The road is packed until you get to the last 4 miles from the dam. 4 wheel drive is needed to finish the trip. I drove most of the way in 2 wheel drive. 1/2 of the lake is capped. 3 inches of ice at the dam. Not too strong. 3 others were fishing so we decided to try it. The ice cracks and pops when you go out. We fished 20 yards from the dam in 22 feet of water. The first group of 3 fishermen went home at 1:00 or there abouts with 55 fish being caught. We stayed till 2:30 after fishing there for 3 hours. I caught 35 and my son caught 8. Thats the Vexlar for you. Most were 10 inches. I took home (2) 17 inchers and (2) 14 inchers (all cuts). They would come in groups and bite for a while and then leave. Seems the longer we stayed, the better it got. If we'd stayed till dark, I'd have caught over 50. I landed 5 in less than a minute on one wave. Wax worms and nite crawlers on anything was the ticket. Good day of fishing all in all. Between my son and I, we landed 49 combined between the two lakes.

We need a good cold snap and things would really harden up.

Chicken Creek W. has ice, Chicken Creek E. is half and half, Ladders is "nada" as well as the rest of the lake. The bay closest to the highway at Soldier Creek is iced over. A friend said he saw a guy out on the ice last weekend in that bay. It was empty today.

If you go to mud creek, don't venture past where you see tracks in the snow. People were cutting holes in 2.5 inches of ice at the east end (about 1/2 way across the ice). It seemed strong, no cracking, but I moved back to the 5 inch stuff. The closer you fished to the North bank, the better the luck was running.
[signature]
Nice to see you made it up! I agree, one good cold snap and everything should ice over. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report .I might go check it out . How was the snow up there ? I missed out on going anywhere today but there is always tomorrow .
[signature]
My uncle says that they plow the current creek road all the way up to the dam. Is that true? Could they just not be doing it yet because the lake isn't totally frozen over?
[signature]
There was about 6 inches of snow up at strawberry and about the same at current creek. 1 inch or less on the ice at both lakes. I heard the road is plowed, but it wasn't yesterday. Seems like it was good till you got to the Wild Life land and then it got a little worse. At the end of the wild life land, it was not plowed. Snowmobiles and atvs had been through and a few 4 wheel drive vehicles. A special doe hunt is going on which started saturday. Lots of road hunters. They will have the road packed down real good in a short while. The biggest problem is the hills. They will ice over and then you will not get up them in 2 wheel drive.
[signature]
Hey Kevin,

As requested, I sent you an email. Did you receive it?
[signature]
It seemed to me, after driving by Strawberry that it is only a few days and to drop a couple of degrees in air temp before good ice fishing will be on at the berry. I had one of those doe tags, but didnt go up Current Creek, but talked to some people that said they saw people on Current creek ice fishing. We did our hunting up Red Creek and it looked like solid ice, with some soft spots around the edges. Saturday there was 2 groups of people fishing that pond.
[signature]
Kent,
Try again. I think I have it working now. Seems that I am getting lots of e-mail the last couple of days. Up until then, very few. Now the spam is coming thru.

Kevin
[signature]