Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Creek thanks for the rainbows
Dear Creek
Thanks for the many trout you provided this summer. I had some 50+ trout landed on a few occasions this summer. The memories will not be forgotten.
I have visited you only once this winter I tried to find your Perch and Walleyes. And you gave me more Rainbows. I enjoy the fight they pose on my ice rods. Although I would really like to catch another species from your diverse body. You contain Rainbow Brown and Cutthroat Trout, Walleye, Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, White Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, Carp and Crayfish (correct my if I missed any). And yet I have only luck with the Trout.
Any and all advice will be graciously appreciated.
[signature]
Wasn't there some bullhead cats in there too?
[signature]
And don't forget the new herpes……white bass[Wink] Highly contagious. You'd better wear a thick layer of neoprene before going into this body. [Tongue]
[signature]
Quote:And don't forget the new herpes……white bassWink Highly contagious. You'd better wear a thick layer of neoprene before going into this body. Tongue

Have they confirmed that they are breeding in there?
Has anyone caught any recently?
[signature]
Yes I can't forget about the kitty's. I knew I forgot some. I did mention the white bass! Somehow I had a feeling I would get more editors than helpers!
[signature]
[quote Baitfish55]
I have visited you only once this winter I tried to find your Perch and Walleyes. And you gave me more Rainbows... You contain Rainbow Brown and Cutthroat Trout, Walleye, Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, White Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, Carp and Crayfish... And yet I have only luck with the Trout.
Any and all advice will be graciously appreciated.[/quote]

All fish are not created equal. You obviously are doing something right for the trout. Now you need to change technique, lure, depth, structure, etc. to catch one of the other species. Each species has a key niche they fill, granted with some overlap.

Tell us where, with what, and how you are fishing and you might get some good advice for the other species you seek.
[signature]
Green sunfish.
[signature]
I walked out on the ice at 1100 hrs in search of 25-35 fow. Found that just north of island. I have caught perch in that area a few years ago. I drilled many holes in area put scanner to work dropped castmaster with rat fink tipped with waxie. Watching for movement on bottom. Did find some bottom action but no biters. I stayed there till dark than I switched to a jigging rap perch pattern tipped with nightcrawler(Id rather use perch meat didn't have it). Got one bite missed it s###! Stayed another hour nothing wanted to play with me so I left.
[signature]
Sounds like you're after perch and walleye. I haven't ice fished DC for many years and I know things change over time but when I fished it we would concentrate in the 40-60' flats for perch around the island, Wallsburg Bay and up the tracks side form the dam parking. We used similar rigging to yours. I would also look at small 1/8 oz rattling spoons by Lindy and Northland Tackle.

If you find perch, I suspect the walleye will be milling around nearby and your Jiggin Rap or a 1/4 oz spoon tipped with crawler or meat may get their attention.

If you're after bluegill, based on my experiences at my area reservoirs, I'd look to shallower rocky slopes in 8' to 25' and watch for suspended schools. We never got any through the ice at DC but got a few in summer. Try a smaller ice fly or teardrop type lure. We've caught over 400 this winter in areas like I described. You might get a surprise LM bass while you're at it. Not sure where the SM bass hang out in winter.

You'll likely continue catching trout too since they are so prevalent. I would also suggest trying more active presentations. I see so many people with rods on their buckets just staring at them. At times my dead-stick is hot but more often than not I'm using from short hop-pause to almost hyper active jiggling. I let the fish decide what they like.
[signature]
thanks for the info. Yes I was targeting Perch in hopes the Walleyes were close by and active just after sunset. I will go back there after this storm passes with a little more strategy under my belt thanks. I think a team effort may be needed as they can cover more ice.
[signature]