Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Friday 12-12-03 (report)
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Fished Bear Lake with Bait Caster Friday. Arrived at the marina shortly after 7:00 where we met WH2, PTSlayer, and another fellow. Launched into 39.5 degree water. Since we wanted badly got catch a limit of white fish, we decided to see if there were any in the low water around the marina rocks. We anchored up in about 5 feet of water and started casting small white curly-tail grubs tipped with crawlers. First cast we had doubles. BC had his first white ever and I had a small cut. First cast of the day … doubles! But the next half hour our efforts returned nothing.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We decided to head over to our regular fishing area around Guss's Point and the rock pile. Catching was slow until about 12:30. Then things got a little busy … at least over in PT's boat. We weren't to far from them and could see WH2 pretty busy first then PT took over with the busy stick. Then finally BC and I started having better luck. We each caught several cuts and one small mack. We all (our boat and PT's boat) seemed to be missing a lot of strikes. The wind kicked up kind of bad and we had to use two anchors to keep from drifting. It was pretty cold too … all day long.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Then around 1:00 the wind died down and the sun peaked out once or twice and catching picked up a bit. I'm starting to think that the cuts and macks get a little more active when the sun is out.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Around 2:00, I caught what I thought was my anchor. It was a large laker but it didn't move hardly at all at first. When I firs hooked him, I was a little verbal with my excitement (you know, getting a little air time for our friends in the other boat). Then, I started thinking it was just the anchor and explained to the other guys I had hooked the anchor. I was a bit embarrassed, to say the least. Then suddenly that anchor took off high speed south bound. Then I started getting pretty excited again. I was trying to make sure my drag was not too tight to break the 14lb leader yet not too loose that he would spool me (the bait caster reel was quite new to me) while my heavy pole was bending pretty good. I kept thinking about some advice the BLM once gave me: "Just take your time ... take a little when he gives a little" After about 5-7 minutes, we got him in and used the large cradle net to net him. I was surprised to see that he was only about 10-11 lbs. But boy he did put up a nice fight. Maybe I'm way too easy to entertain but that catch was a trip for me … to say the least.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We used pumpkin seed, blue and white, and pearl white tube jigs tipped with cisco. But 95% of what was caught came in on the pearl white ... nothing on the pumpkin.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Using the cradle net on that big laker was a good thing. We were able to keep him in the water a whole lot longer while we caught our breath and got the camera ready for a photo. The cradle net has it's pros and cons but for me, for big fish, I'll keep using it. As soon as we released him back into the water, he was gone like a bullet with little or no help.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]After a while, we seen a storm kicking up so we headed back toward the marina to see if we could get any more whites. After anchoring up again near the rocks, we again started casting our grubs. We never caught any more whites but it was definitely the honey hole for cuts. For about 45 minutes there we caught cuts every other cast! BC kept "auto-releasing" most of his right before they got to the boat or he would snag up and break line. But that's OK, I kept up giving him lessons anyway. He .. he.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]As good as cut catching was along that bank, I can't help but think a white Zara Spook top water might be fun to try for cuts during the whitfish spawn. What do you guys think?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]It was a cold but fun day at the pond away from home.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here are the PT boys with WH2 holding up a string of pan fryers:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: WH2_string-400.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here is the nice laker in the big cradle net:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: MackInNet-400.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]My prize for the day:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: CootMack-400.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BC with a few cuts for our smoker:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: BC_string_400.jpg]
[/size][/font]
[signature]
Wow, I thought you guys must have fallen in, I was going to send you a PM to make sure you and BC were all right. After not seeing a post from you in almost two days I was starting to wonder what happened to you guys. Just so you know we were in Wiperslayer's boat he is the guy standing up in the boat when you took the picture. I wanted to fish by you guys for the whites before we went in but I got out voted. It sounds like it wasn't so good if you were after whitefish, I wonder where they were? I guess the east side is the place to go for whitefish. That was a nice fish Old_Coot and what a battle that anchor, I mean fish gave you. ha.ha. good job. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice report! Now you know why I'm addicted to mack fishing. In my book there's not much else inland that can match it. I've thought about a cradle. I just might have to invest in one. [/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Yea, it did take me a while to post. I've still been busy rebuilding my PC ... dowloading and installing ws_ftp and winzip. Also, I discovered that pictures give me the big red "X" any time filenames have spaces or special characters. Took me a while to figure that one out.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh ... so that's Wiperslayer ... sory, my bad.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I too am thinking the whites are probably over on the East side this year but that's just a guess on my part.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Also, thanks again for the sucker. It ought to make for some good cut bait.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I forgot you had problems with your computer, I hope you will be able to get it finished soon. We caught a sucker a few weeks back and tried it for bait on Friday but it didnot make any difference on the catch rate. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM, those macks can really get in your blood. BC and I are still trying to figure out how that mack could hold so perfectly still for so long with so much tension on it. It was great. My cradle net was a cheep one ($29) from Jan's Net. I suspect that the more expensive ones are better.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[blue][size 3]Nice Post "Coot", [size 2]Glad to see your putor is finding its way back to normal. After reading your post, I must say "Tell" on you!! I just want all you anglers to know, that after being Skunked the last (2) times at the Bear, "Old_Coot" had the HOT stick Sat. He caught 2 to every (1) of mine. We started out Both Hot, But Coot managed to LAND more!! Pluss he had one heck of a Mack Attack, I too swear guy's; That lunker tied his line on the anchor! Bent Poll:: but you couldn't detecked ANY movement for the longest time then WAM!! Fish ON!! Coots anchor had Fins!![Smile] Nice pics coot! [/size][/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 2]Also it was great talking to all the other BFT'rs Friday morning.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey glad to see you had a good day. At least you caught a big one and that always makes the trip worth while. Maybe we'll meet out there some time this winter
[font "Arial"][red][size 2]Hey Coot old buddy, looks like you guys had a great time at Bear Lake. The fish that you got was a lot like the one you got with me. I'm going to get my boat fixed here very soon, and maybe we can get it out there with you and I soon. I have had a couple of setbacks with the family lately, but nothing that I can't handle. We do what we have to for the Family, you know what I mean.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2]Anyway Once again great pictures as usual.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Nice report Coot!, it was good to see you Saturday too. Sure good to hear you had some fun on the Bear!
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip. Growing up I was taught that addictions are bad and to try and stay away from people that add to addictions. Well I am definitely addicted to macks, and i will not seek treatment!!! I have to pick up my boat parts that Neveronsunday got repaired for me, and install my hitch on my car, (getting that for B-Day 1/16) Then I hope the Bear doesnt freeze and hopefully get you Old Coot or BLM and OEJ to take its first voyage it has been on in 2 years.
[signature]