Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Fly Fishing on the MP
Sorry to get your hopes up but this isn't a post. It will be if its a successful trip. I am heading to the middle Provo Wednesday for a day of relaxation on my day off and was wondering what type of flies work good around this time of year? Im thinking midges, brassies and maybe chironimds? Any others worth trying out? Maybe some streamers? Thanks.
[signature]
Just finished up midge month on our website if you're interested: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014_01_01_archive.html

Good info on what to throw to finicky midging fish. Just scroll down that list and you'll find some decent patterns and some photos of the types of midges (aka chironomids) you'll see on the river. Brassie's are good imitations for midge larva or even pupa if you like. Also, streamers will work.

The photo below was taken on the middle using a #30 bunny midge.

[Image: DSC_8702.JPG]
[signature]
[quote Lobina_Mosca]Just finished up midge month on our website if you're interested: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014_01_01_archive.html

Good info on what to throw to finicky midging fish. Just scroll down that list and you'll find some decent patterns and some photos of the types of midges (aka chironomids) you'll see on the river. Brassie's are good imitations for midge larva or even pupa if you like. Also, streamers will work.

The photo below was taken on the middle using a #30 bunny midge.

[.IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KTdGg8STtq8/Ut4BVDCWvOI/AAAAAAAAgAs/K4EPW_jbZG4/s1600/DSC_8702.JPG[/IMG][/quote] so when you're fishing flies that small 1: how the heck do you see them? and 2: what tippet size do you use? I feel like 6x just wouldn't hold so well on a decent sized fish. Also what knots do you tie them on with?
[signature]
Hey Tyler. So a lot of the time you can't actually see the flies when they're that small. But you can either fish the smaller pattern in tandem with a bigger midge cluster or maybe a higher-vis parachute midge that you can see. I will also often stick a tiny bit of Loon bio-strike on my tippet to gain a bit of visibility if I need to.

For the most part, we're fishing 6X and 7X with flies this small. While I know we all catch fish on 5X or 4X tippet just the same, the tippet becomes too stiff at that point, not allowing the fly to move naturally on/in the water. Just my theory on that I guess, but I've caught some pretty big fish with 6X tippet. Either a clinch knot or even a 16-20 knot will work well too. Nothing fancy.

It's just fun catching big fish on small flies.
[signature]
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and know-how.
[signature]
[quote Lobina_Mosca]Hey Tyler. So a lot of the time you can't actually see the flies when they're that small. But you can either fish the smaller pattern in tandem with a bigger midge cluster or maybe a higher-vis parachute midge that you can see. I will also often stick a tiny bit of Loon bio-strike on my tippet to gain a bit of visibility if I need to.

For the most part, we're fishing 6X and 7X with flies this small. While I know we all catch fish on 5X or 4X tippet just the same, the tippet becomes too stiff at that point, not allowing the fly to move naturally on/in the water. Just my theory on that I guess, but I've caught some pretty big fish with 6X tippet. Either a clinch knot or even a 16-20 knot will work well too. Nothing fancy.

It's just fun catching big fish on small flies.[/quote] ok good thoughts, thank you for the tips! My clinch knots must be terrible because they always break off on the fish. What brand tippet do you use? Sorry for all the questions [Smile]
[signature]
Mostly RIO, but also Frog Hair and Scientific Anglers. Just make sure your smaller tippets are fresh. Even leaving a spool out in the sun or just over the course of a season can turn it bad. Not always, but best to just keep an eye on it.
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and know-how.[/quote]

You got that 32 I tied you, go get em! Lol. I have caught a lot on a 30 Wulff.
[signature]
I do indeed. I keep it as a Kung Fu pebble -- when I can tie one like it, I'll know I've arrived.
[signature]