Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Wed - Thurs. Feb 5 and 6
My son (BIGbites) and I met TopH2O at Yuba wednesday morning to get in couple days of pike fishing. Since it is such a long drive for both of us we decided it only makes sense to get a room in Nephi and spend a couple days. Wednesday we did really well figuring out where the fish weren't so we would know where not to go on Thursday.

The catching was slow thursday but got very exciting when my son hooked into and ice his first northern pike at 33" and fat. I had a hammer handle hammer my jig only to be laughed at as I pulled it on the the ice. BIGbites iced his second northern pike at 28".
[inline "BbFirstNorthern2Yuba Feb 6 2014 004.JPG"]

[inline "BbThreeNorthernsFeb6 2014.JPG"]

TopH2O coaxed a very nice 23" walleye into hitting and onto the ice. It was a great couple days fishing with BIGbites and TopH2O.

Ice conditions were very good 18" thick with 3 - 4" of snow that keeps blowing around. It's just enough to give you a good workout pulling a sled loaded down with gear.

Have a great weekend and happy fishing.
[signature]
Congrats to the boy! Those are some nice fish! Can't wait to get out there!

Any special lure that caught all the fish?
[signature]
Nice fish ill tell you. Now you are probably hooked. I seen the walleye too that's something to be proud of. I will get one threw the ice one day. Those bigger pike over 30" sure do put up a nice fight.
[signature]
Nice, That 33 incher great looking fat fish.
[signature]
Hey Ron, glad to see you and your son hooked up, usually Mike hogs all the fish. He done it to me and Pikeman as well. Sorry I missed the trip, but life gets in the way of my fishing sometimes.
[signature]
Great report! Those northerns sure are fun through the ice, actually any time of the year.[Wink]
[signature]
Congrats again Bigbites on your first two northerns. You got a great start at a young age. I caught my first northern through the ice at Yuba just a few weeks ago.
I'm looking forward to fishing with you and your Dad again soon.

Mike
[signature]
[crazy] so ron are you saying you got out fished by your boy? ha ha you got to love it when that happens i would rather see my boy catch fish then me. i also was there wed and got skunked. so did you catch any?tell your boy congrats. he has done what on my bucket list at a young age
[signature]
Yes it is great to be out fished by my son. It was exciting when he hooked into it and it started pulling out drag. When we got it on the ice the first thing he said is "that's the biggest fish I have ever caught". I caught one small one. I seem to only be able to catch the tender young "hammer handles". The second one he caught hit both of our jigs a few times before he got a good hook set. It was exciting and entertaining to watch it go back and forth from jig to jig on the fish finder. We were in a shelter so we were only fishing about 5 feet apart. He was fishing near the bottom in 17 FOW and I was about mid-way up. He seems to have the hot hand on a lot of our fishing trips. Good times. Now he gets to spend today (Saturday) getting caught up on his school work. [cool]
[signature]
[angelic] that is so cool. happy home work bigbites
[signature]
Nice. Looks like a great outing you'll both cherish the memory for a long time to come. Wish I could get my boy out on the ice this year. [Sad]

Thanks for sharing. Gotta be worth some good points.

Homework? Before or after he learns the biology of Pike bones?
Yes he learned the biology of pike bones. I was telling him "pike sure are bony" and he says "Yah, but it tastes real good". It is amazing that they could have that many bones packed in there.
[signature]