Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jawjacker help
Just got a jawjacker for Christmas. Fish set it off but I never hook any. What am I doing wrong ? Any advice? Thanks.
[signature]
Tighten the trigger screw a little.
[signature]
I had the same problem. I changed which poles I was using with it so that it gave a stronger hook set. Most of my ice fishing poles were too short.
[signature]
My first suggestion would be to downsize the jig you're dropping to the fish. Chances are you're getting short strikes with a fish grabbing the tail of your jig and not getting the hook in the mouth. With JawJackers think small.
[signature]
I'd have to concur on both points. Especially with Gills - small mouths, finicky bites.

Perch can be nippery and finicky too, but they have bigger mouths, and can be awfully agressive when motivated. One thing about a trout bite - is they often just swipe, and not even put a lure in their mouth at first. But they are also quick to spit a hook (yes, fish DO spit hooks. Bass can inhale and exhale a lure before you even sense a tug of any sort.

I also prefer a bit longer, bit heavier rod for the Jacker. Of course - no spring bobber. But the longer shaft and more backbone can translate to more solid hooksets.

Anyone out there found a source, or alternative to the little plastic "wire" loops used to hold the trigger? Just two of those little dinks is tight, and they're so easy to misplace. (If youre like me!)
As an altern
ative/backup, I use 0x tippet..but I actually haven't tried it yet.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You'll want to use a very stiff action fishing pole because you are depending on the action of the pole alone to set the hook. The stiffer the pole the snappier it will be and your hook set rate will increase.

Next, consider using a no stretch line such as an ice braid like Sufix 832 Ice Braid (or similar). Mono will stretch/give on the strike and not give you the set snap you need.

The other advice about going smaller couldn't hurt either.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I make a loop out of 14 #test mono . I put a drop of super glue on the knot . For rods I am having my best luck with 36" Ugly Stix .
[signature]
I use a 36 in ugly stick as well. Another thing to remember is to keep your offering horizontal. Keep it small and make sure to leave the last 1/8" of the hook open and ready. Sharpen all of the hooks that you use, that will help a lot. Some of my best fish have came on a jawjacker, what a great invention....

[signature]
I agree with all the prior posts; think small tackle (although I did catch a pike at Yuba on a double treble whole chub combo) and make sure you are using a little longer rod with a stiff backbone.

Another thing to remember is deeper you are fishing the more slack needs to be taken up before a proper hook set is effected. This is very difficult to achieve with the jawjacker as the rod is the only thing taking up the slack and trying to effect the hook set. Think, the deeper you fish the more action required to set hook.
[signature]
This weekend all I fished were jawjackers. Set those suckers tight with at least a medium weight rod, braid for the main line helps, and remember you really are trying to jack their jaws. Small is better.
[signature]
It could Be that you simply need to downsize your jig the ones that come with them work great you just have to make sure there is no bait hanging off them. Something real similar if not the same are the jamin jigs tiger and bobber fry http://www.jamminjigs.com/neon-tiger-jigs/. For real aggressive trout i use a lead head and a number 4 sickle hook. Another jig that works real well with them are the northland ghost grub.
I use 30 inch uglystiks and set the rod holder in the up most position and adjust the trigger so it has just enough tension to not fall down by its self I also have been using the number 6 or 7 hole on the trigger extension . Hook ups have been great this year only missing maybe 1 or 2 fish out of 10, some days when the fish are heavy biters haven't missed a fish all day. I have seen a few people add a bobber to the pole between the guides and pull slack so it rests on the jaw jacker to give the fish some slack before the hookset and they swear by it but i haven't tried it yet.
I got two for Christmas a couple years ago and at first i was skeptical and last year we played a lot with them figuring them out this year we purchased some more and have been extremely happy with them we even had one day when they all started going off as a school came threw and ended up with 4 out of 5 fish landed Smile
The days when fish wont hit a dead stick look at the jigger totters they work fantastic also takes only the slightest breeze to give your bait a little motion
[signature]
I have a lot of experience using jaw jackers and also something similar called the automatic fisherman. The problem you are experiencing with the jawjacker is clearly common and more so later in the ice season when fish start becoming more and more dormant and hesitant.
One of the issues this time of year using the jawjacker is that the fish dont fully commit to your jig right away and more or less bite little sections of your jig without getting the hook inside the mouth in order for the jaw jacker to become effective. The problem with the jawjacker is that any little nibble will set the thing off, often resulting in a false hook set.
Here is the trick I have shown many people at work that it will increase the effectiveness of the jawjacker.
When you seat your reel take your line through the first line guide and then slip on a clear plastic bobber. I prefer to use the smaller size bobber because you can fill it with water if you need it to be heavier for larger jigs and bait. Once the bobber is on continue to thread your line but keep that bobber in between the first and second line guide. Set everything else up like you normally would. Adjust your jig to the proper depth and now very carefully loosen your drag and pull line out so that the bobber drops down towards the base of the jaw jacker or the ice. The idea behind this is that when a fish is interested in your jig, the JJ will only set the hook once the bobber is pulled up to your pole ensuring that only committed fish will set off the JJ keeping you from constantly resetting the JJ.
Depending on the activity level of the fish, you can preset the bobber closer or further away from the pole so that the fish will pull a predetermined amount of line before the JJ is triggered. You have to remember that you want the weight of the bobber just heavy enough to keep your jig from pulling the bobber upwards but not heavy enough to spook the fish when it feels the resistance.
This method will allow you to use almost any size jig effectively on the JJ and keeping the frustration level at a minimum.
[signature]
Thanks for the information , I will have to try this .
[signature]
its just another gimmick made to sale .. just keep the rod in your hands and throw the wackjacker away!
[signature]
In Idaho we can fish with 5 rods . I use 3 jaw jackers and 2 jigger totters most of the time
[signature]
[quote zman2]its just another gimmick made to sale .. just keep the rod in your hands and throw the wackjacker away![/quote]

Doesn't work well when you can fish six rods over 300 yards on the gorge. They have their place.
[signature]
Agreed, the wife and i fish with 10 rods we set the jigger totters close to us and the 5 jawjackers out at the end of the spread or on each end depending on where we have the shanty. on miserable days its nice to just set the jackers outside and jig with a couple poles inside the hut
[signature]