Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet Projects
Are there any 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" diameter pipes do you know?
[signature]
Hey there Catman, It sounds like you are puting together some kind of rodholder. 1 1/4 is the perfect size for most rods and 1 1/2 for some of the rods with bigger butts.[cool]
[signature]
There is some 1", 1 1/4", 2", 2 1/2." It is kinda hit and miss as far as how much of each is available in 'the pile.'
[signature]
Hey T D,

You're moving the wrong way, you need to travel more south west back to So Cal. That is where the fish and the friends are! Your jigs are still doing it for me trout fishing, Ive given a few to friends to experiment with. This season they caught trout out the whazoo, bass on the beds during the spawn and some of the biggest bluegill that I have ever seen. you need to make a trip out here so we can go and tube somewhere, thought u said that u were going to this past summer? [Sad]

Ohh well, I'll keep fishing while everone else is hiding indoors from the snow and im fishing in the middle of December in shorts and a T shirt [cool]

wish u were here,

Aaron G
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey Aaron, good to hear from ya. Believe me, I would love to be closer to the coast action. I grew up over there and it will always be close to my heart. I have salt water in my veins...and I'm a son of the beach.[/size]

[size 2]As I think I explained in other posts, I have my 85 year old mother living with us. We have trouble getting away for a morning fishing trip over here, without even thinking about leaving her for more than a day. She just can't take care of herself any more.[/size]

[size 2]That being said, we have already decided that we need to make a February trip over there, for TubeN2's daughter's birthday. Of course, that should take no more than five minutes and then I'm going fishing. We have some places over here that will take care of elderly folks for several days if necessary.[/size]

[size 2]If we can put it together, we will have to work out a BFT flotilla on either or both fresh water and salt. I really do want to meet some of the fine members we have over there...as long as they don't get in my way while I'm doing some serious fishing.[/size]

[size 2]If you guys are running low on any of the hot colors, shoot me a PM and I can put together a fill-in kit for ya. Glad you have enjoyed the trinkets. They are fun to fish and the fishies kinda like them too. If you describe the size, style, hook size, etc, I should be able to work it out okay. If you want, I will return a PM with some pics and you can order from the catalog.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey George, I met Floyd a couple of times, but never had the pleasure of fishing with him. You are right. He knew the local lakes better than anyone I know. His death to cancer was a Sad time for all local anglers.[/size]

[size 2]Floyd also made the "yellowjacket" spinners. These were inline spinners, with his own color combinations. I also make a wide variety of inline spinners...as well as my bait bugs.[/size]

[size 2]As you probably realize, you can't fish any of these lakes effectively without a boat. I fish out of a float tube, and access to Apache, Canyon and Saguaro is extremely limited. Sometimes you catch it right, when the fish are within the zone you can reach by tube. Other times they are somewhere else around the lake...following the bait or the temperature levels they find more comfortable. But, without a boat, you just can't count on scoring consistently.[/size]

[size 2]If you do have a boat, and know the lakes, and have good sonar, you can almost always find the fish. And finding them is a key element in catching them. As I tell folks who don't believe in using sonar...you can't catch them where they ain't.[/size]

[size 2]In the deep and steep walled lakes of the Salt River chain, it is usually the 90/10 rule...90% of the fish are going to be in only 10% of the lake. But, because most of the species are predatory, if you can locate them and figure out a pattern you can pretty much "harvest" as many as you need.[/size]

[size 2]I have tried Apache only a couple of times. The two available launch sites for float tubes are too far away from the prime fishing areas and a couple of yellow bass are all I got to play with.[/size]

[size 2]Canyon is about the same, only with heavier boat traffic. There is some decent fishing to be had within range of launch sites, but the power squadron makes it impossible to operate effectively. The Boulder Canyon area, behind the marina, has produced a few fish for us, but again it is pure luck to find fish in there on any given trip.[/size]

[size 2]Let's see how the upcoming spring shapes up. I still want to get you out in a float tube and show off my line of lures for you.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Hey tubdude, here is a project that really works good, its a floattube anchor system. Take a piece of 3/4" pvc { sched. 40 or 20 } from 6" to 8" in length. Attach a tee at each end or in my case a tee at one end and a 90 at the other. Next attach a small piece of pipe to the other ends of the tees and/or 90. Then glue on a cap to those pieces so that it touches the tee fittings. The small pieces of pipe need to be trimmed so you can do this. Now that this is water tight, tie on 1/8" braided nylon rope to it ; 50' is good to start. Then pick up a 2lb. rockcod weight and tie to the other end. Thats it! When you want to fish an area or are in a current, just lower it till you hit bottom then tie it to your handles or "D" rings. I use a cheap carabiner for this in case I have to move to fight a fish.When I'm done,I just paddle back to the floating holder and clip back on!
[signature]
[cool][size 2]There's a lot more need for anchors in the currents and tides of California. I fish mostly in coves and quiet lakes. If the wind gets bad enough to need an anchor, I'm outta there anyway.[/size]

[size 2]We've had a couple of threads on anchors in the past, and we seem to agree. They are something you hope you don't have to use, but they can save a lot of leg power if you want to stay put in the current...or light wind.[/size]

[size 2]Your design sounds simple and cheap enough. My only question would be how effective it might be in holding on a smooth bottom in stiff current. I know I have had problems with a 5 pound mushroom not holding before. Can't remember whether it was a morel or a shitake. Maybe not enough butter sauce.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Give me the portabella with butter and garlic! hahahaha. The 2lb. is a little light but will hold in a weedy or rocky area. Anything much bigger is that much more I have to paddle around with. Besides, if the wind whips up the scene from "Victory at Sea" then I'll pack it in. I've had enough 2 and 3 foot waves soak me in the past to have learned my lesson!
[signature]