Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine Report 2-15-14
I did an early run to Porcupine this morning, was on the ice fishing by 6:15... Kind of spooky up there in the dark with nothing around but owls hooting... Starting to wonder when the cougar was going to pounce on me, but just then my finder screen turned red with Kokes as both poles started to bounce from bites.. missed a couple and ended up nailing one as the screen started to return to normal.... Dang I wished I would have done better on that school, but a little while later I noticed activity around the bottom and lowered one pole close to the bottom and bam he nailed it... Nice little brown about 13" and unfortunately that was it nothing else showed up, except for the fishermen about 9:00... Ice is a little scary on the edge it seems to be getting wider and more rotten, however out on there is still about 12" of good ice and 6" of white bad stuff on top, probably will hold for awhile yet... Later J
[signature]
Oh I forgot here's a picture. J
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pic, Jeff. Glad you got out. I haven't fished Porcupine for years.
[signature]
Porky's a little slow but kind of the only game in town now. Still fun and great eating. Thanks for the note. J
[signature]
Brave soul is all I can say. Drove past Hyrum today. No one on the ice. Drove past Benson Marina and a couple of fishermen at the bridge. Looked like up stream from the bridge was open until it turn more south. Glad you caught a couple and got out alive. Thanks for the report!
[signature]
Porky surprised me that the ice is still clear on the bottom, I think it will be okay for a little longer than the others. May be an early spring who knows. Later J
[signature]
Good for you Jeff, did that hill get any more snow on it since your last trip there? Looks like another decent koke. It is amazing how light colored some of the browns are in that lake. Thanks for the report and pic.
[signature]
Dude, you need a Jawjacker! Then you'd be slammin salmon!
How deep was the school? How long was your plank? When are you gonna extend an invite?

I haven't hung up the ice gear, but having my doubts. Did take aputter around your neck of the woods, only to find small patches of open water, and tough access.

Glad ya got your kitchen pass
Hey Curt the hill is getting really low on snow by now it was even less than yesterday when I went up. The Kokes are running about 10-11" this weekend. Sure wish I could get a few more at a time. Maybe once the water opens up. Later J
[signature]
The schools are from bottom to top today, but I was fishing in 35' deep water today. Yesterday they were 20' down in 69 FOW. The plank was 10-12' long and 12" wide. Sorry I didn't get an invite out to you, I've been getting last second kitchen passes late at night and haven't had time to plan. And I also have been getting home by noon so they are short trips. I hope we'll get back on the ice again but if it stays this warm it won't last long. If we don't make the ice lets go troll for those hard to find little treats. Seems like they should be easier to find if you're moving.
Hope that is the case. Hope Cutler will return to good fishing but I'm worried. Well catch ya later J
[signature]
Cutler may not be the same this year. But we'll see.

It's not too far from Spring Kitty slayin'!
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]The schools are from bottom to top today, but I was fishing in 35' deep water today. Yesterday they were 20' down in 69 FOW. [/quote]

I see you saying "yesterday", then you say "today", does that mean you are up there today as well?
[signature]
Hey in case you didn't see the Bear River started to open up by the church, so it won't be long now till we can start to feel things out. I hope it will still be good. I think the river is still frozen by the other bridge but it will go fast now. Later J
[signature]
I went up Friday and Saturday mornings early. Those fish were acting hungry if you could just get over top of them. I kind of failed that part of it. Ended up with two each day. But I got them smoked and got a great treat today. In church today, but starting to wonder about an afternoon trip tomorrow. Later J
[signature]