Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Hockey at Willard 2-18-14
[#0000FF]Encouraged by the pics and report of open water off the north marina at Willard I set up my tube, got my mussel certificate online and headed out. 33 degrees air temp and 35 degrees water temp at 7 am. TDC on both counts. But I was committed...or should be.

Glassy calm at launch and for an hour or so afterward. The edges of the ice were between 150 and 200 yards out from the marina entrance. But there was a stack of ice on the south point of the marina entrance...indicating that the ice is moving with the breezes. Got a good demo of that later.

Looks like the water level has come up about a foot in the last couple of weeks. Maybe more. Hoping for a lot more...soon. Willard needs it and so do the fish...and fishermen.

Started out dragging a minnow on one rod and fishing a mix of plastics and "baitbug" jigs on a lighter rod...tipped with worms. My sonar was miffed at the cold and didn't want to show me any fish. Only let me see a very few all morning. But I saw more on "TV" than on the end of my line.

I kept changing around...minnows, crawlers, Gulp goodies, etc. Also kept switching lures and bait rigs. Might as well have been fishing in my bathtub. Well, maybe not. Hooks hurt. I had two tentative pop and drops on minnows and a couple of light inquiries on the jigs. Inexperienced or bashful fish. Just couldn't get themselves hooked. That was it.

Even in the 35 degree water I was fairly comfy. All except for my toes. I only wore two pairs of socks today...instead of my usual 3 pairs for super cold. And it was super cold. So my tootsies started complaining. Had to kick in to shore about 9 to get out on the bank and do the "tubers' stomp" to warm up my frigid digits. It worked.

I had thought that maybe this might be one of those days...like we had while ice fishing...when the fish did not get active until about midday. So I planned to tough it out until noonish to see if something might want to play at lunchtime.

Unfortunately, Mama Nature decided SHE wanted to play. She abruptly kicked up a stout north breeze...with some cold in it. And that started some large sheets of rotten ice moving toward me. I could tell the ice was moving by watching an eagle that was watching me from his place on the ice. He was moving south pretty fast.

I've played this game with Mama before...where she waits until I am well out away from a harbor entrance...and then pushes ice in behind me to block my escape route. She has almost won a couple of times, but I am getting smarter in my old age. So I brought in my lines, fired up my electric motor and headed for the marina.

I did have to bounce off a few pieces of ice and had to work in and out a channel between a couple of other pieces. Had a brief flash about ending up like Mike4Cobra when he tried to make his boat an ice breaker a couple of years ago. But...taaa daaa...I made it. On the road home by 10:30.

Had a short day and no fish to show for it. But it was good to get out in the tube again. Plus, I got my annual first-trip-to-Willard-skunk out of the way. Now I can fish some of the other waters, catch some fish and let Willard do without me until about May. Also, the time at the fillet board was mercifully short today. Count my blessings.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
No fish and I'm still jealous!

I took out the tube last weekend, filled it, and made some modifications for this season (more and new floatation mostly).

I've been cycling the battery getting ready for open water.

One way or another I'm going to be on open water Saturday. Either testing the boat or if the harbor's not open, launching from the shore at DC.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Can't make it Saturday but stay in touch. We owe ourselves a meetup on the water this year. Last year got away before we got 'er done.

With rotting ice and the wind from the forecast fronts there is likely to be some open water almost everywhere. Maybe not ice-free lakes yet but still tubeable. Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#484848]Nice pics ....... Do you wear bootfoot neoprenes and smart wool socks?[/#484848]
[signature]
2nd skunk report I have ever read of yours. Bummer.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Stockingfoot neoprenes, wool socks, neoprene divers' booties between waders and fins.

I think I learned a long time ago that two pair of loosely fitting socks was better than three pair that constricted my feet. Gotta have circulation. But if you have all the other components...waders, booties and fins...properly sized, then an extra pair of socks will provide better insulation rather than constriction.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote fishjon]2nd skunk report I have ever read of yours. Bummer.[/quote]

[#0000FF]To paraphrase an old saying..."skunk happens". I seldom leave the water smelling that nasty smell, but I don't jump off my float tube if it happens. We all need a dose of humility from time to time.

In reality, I think I have had about 4 or 5 zippo days during the last 10 years...and if memory serves me correctly they were all at Willard...and usually on my first trip of the year. But from May to iceup in the winter I usually manage to acquit myself favorably.

It's all good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes we do. I'm still working for "the man" so my tube trips are generally early morning affairs with Deer Creek.

But I believe that is a favorite destination of yours also.

I love the tube and have done really well with it using certain tactics, but I still don't think I fish with it correctly. I mostly use it as a slow moving platform to drag stuff or skim the shoreline pitching for bass.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Got your PM. We will work on getting our dance cards together.

Yes, I do like DC...but not the power squadron. I hit it early...right at daybreak...but during the summer there are often skiers or wakeboarders who like the "sunrise serenade" thing. And they always have to zoom by close enough for me to appreciate their noise and their toys. So I primarily don't hit it much between June (school out) and September (school back in session...and after Labor Day).

Gotta introduce you to some new tubing techniques. Also gotta put you in front of some of the bigger species on Utah Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Last year there were a couple of weekday wakeboarders at daybreak... but usually only one or two and for some reason they tend to like the Charleston area. I usually fish up near Walsburg in the summer.

Early season I like the island -- which I noticed when I drove by earlier this week is officially and island once again.
[signature]
I would like to see State Parks make the Charleston and Rainbow Bay area wakeless like they did to the Walsburg arm.
[signature]
Glad you got out and managed to get back in without having to do any ice climbing. Looks like with 50 mph winds in the forecast you may have more water available soon. Not often you get skunked but you got out the tube.
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. The smell of skunk diminished quickly. I'm not immune but I have a certain degree of tolerance.

I'm thinking that Strawberry and a couple of the other higher altitude lakes will be about the only waters with any ice on them by the end of February. Suits me. I don't fish Strawberry anyway.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]After seeing the white vehicle in the parking lot and the tube out next to the ice on our drive by going to Mantua, I figured it was you. Sorry to hear about the skunk. Not so for us. [Smile]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[#0000FF]Were you the guys that waved...not using all your fingers?

Glad you found a few fish...and that you could still get your ice machine on the hard deck.

PM not sent.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sound like the wind really blow that ice out after you left and there was only a slight breeze when I got there. I was really amazed how far the ice had pull away from the North shore, I bet I could have made it all the way to the Light pole if I was not worried about getting trapped in shifting ice.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, when there is floating ice it pays to be alert and cautious. Just ask Mike.

When I started it was open out to about 200 yards from the marina. And the ice was solid from out in front of Eagle Beach all the way to the north dike. But as soon as the north wind kicked up there was ice blowing across where I was fishing...within a few yards of the entrance to the marina. I could see that there was some open water out from the north dike and I expected that it would blow toward the south enough to really open it up.

Not likely to see any kind of ice cover after the next week or so. Wanna get together and gang up on the fishies somewhere? Fishing small, low and slow is the pattern right after iceout. Almost like ice fishing until the water warms up a bit.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Maybe, where did you have in mind? Ice or solf water?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Soft. Once the surface temps get up around 40 degrees the walleyes should start a prespawn feed. Might also find some early schools of crappies. Probably going to be at least the first week of March.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I got my annual stink on New Year's Day, with my wife and three kids watching. Felt less like a man, more like a dad, but now I should be smelling pretty the rest of the year.
[signature]