Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any suggestions for a 9 wt.????
Need/Want a new 9 wt. for a trip to Florida, this will be mostly beach/surf fishing, doubt i'll get to any flats on this trip…most likely/hopefully some Snook, Reds, Trout and Spanish Macs…a 9 wt. may be a bit much but I would rather be over prepared than under because sometimes you just don't know what lurks in the ocean!

Looking in the range of $200 bucks…Looked at the Cabela's L-Tech Saltwater and the TLr rods, Echo Ion and the Greys GRXi (really like this one)…any other suggestions? Thanks….btw I have an 8 wt St. Croix Rio Santo but feel like I need a 9 wt. also [sly]
[signature]
Mike,
You're welcome to borrow my 9 ft 9wt Orvis Clearwater. Try it out and take it with you if you want. I got it for $119 when they came out. I don't think it casts the best but it'll chuck a big fly and give you plenty of backbone for big fish. I got it because last time up to Alaska I got outclassed on my 8 wt by a dozen 15-20 lb fresh bright silvers very quickly in fast current. Only managed to land the puny runt of that litter at about 12 lbs. Didn't want to put much into a rod I rarely need. I don't need it until July so if something goes wrong no worries. If you hook into a king mackerel you'll be glad it wasn't on a 8 wt.
[signature]
Thanks for the offer Paul, I may take you up on it, I will let ya know, thanks!!
[signature]
If I were still n town I'd loan you my hydros as well
[signature]
Thanks Koch!
[signature]
Just let me know. Not sure when you're leaving but I'll be down in southern Utah 3/11-3/16.
[signature]
Not going down until Sept. So all good.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Not going down until Sept. So all good.[/quote]

Orly? I might be home by than, if I am I'll bring it with me, regardless if you have one or not, I'll also bring a reel, you'll need line, just mail it back to me when your done
[signature]
Cool, let me know. Thanks again
[signature]
Any chance you're back by July 20? I'd love to borrow your hydros 9wt too[Smile]
If not don't worry with silvers it's more just get the streamer somewhere sorta in front of them and hold on for train to hit.
[signature]