Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak ?'s
[size 2]Looking to get a kayak in the next couple months. Been doing some research but still have a couple of questions for those that fish from a kayak. Sit-in or sit-on-top? Have noticed most are sit-on-top and not sure of the pros and cons of both. Seen mixed reviews of many different brands so not sure what are some of the better brands to stick too. Ideally, would like to stick to $600 or less but willing to go $700 max.

Any feedback would be great. Right now my preference is for a sit-in but that can change. Thanks in advance.
[/size]
[signature]
I own a sit-in fishing kayak, so I'll try to make this as unbiased as possible!

I prefer fishing from a sit in because it is so seasonally versatile. You're protected from the cold and waves in the winter months--you don't get nearly as wet as when you're in a sit on top. HOWEVER! Sit on tops are awesome when you spend the money, the best kayak I've ever been in is an Old Town Predator--the seats for most fishing sit on tops are like camping chairs that spoil the crap out of you, and you have tons of room for gear. A downside to most sit on tops is that they have very flat hulls that move and track sllllloooooowly. With the right vessel, sit on tops are also surprisingly stable.

I bought my kayak (future beach trophy) 3 years ago and still love it. It's a sit-in that I I can stand in, store tons of gear, carry plenty of rods, land big fish in it, and move quickly through the water. As I mentioned earlier, I love it because I can use it in the hot months when I don't care about water getting water inside, and in the cold months when I want to stay warm and sheltered from the wind/rain/cold nights.
[signature]
[cool]I got my sit on top kayak in Dec. It is an Ascend from bass pro shop. It works out great for me and my buddy who also has one. Bass pro is clearing out the model I have and will have another for sale at their spring classic(check online for a pic of the kayak in their circular). If they still have the clearance model it is going for $449. The new model is going for more. There are lot of kayaks to choose from, you have to see what features you like and that are in your price range. Here are some pics of mine.
[signature]
Those Ascend sit-on-top models look like some pretty awesome fishing machines!

I'm looking at getting a NFO renegade frameless pontoon this spring, did you look at pontoons before getting your yak? If so, why did you go with the Ascend?

Do those sit on tops do rivers well?
[signature]
I saw the Bass Pro Ascends last year and thought it was a lot of boat for the money. If on sale from that definitely has some appeal. I would go 12' if over 6' or more than 180. I am 6'3 and 220 and got a 10' OC Caper in the quiver. I love that boat for sure but a bit small if it was my only boat.
Class 1 or 2 shouldn't be an issue. Class 3 you should be on your toes but you could do it. I would plan on falling off/tipping, at least the first time in 3 for sure....not to say you wouldn't in 2 tho. Maybe bring less stuff depending on what the water like. SOT you kind of just fall in.

With a sit inside I really think you need to know how to self rescue no matter if you on lakes all the time or not. You really can't take as much stuff and it really isn't easy to get to. Kind of a pain for fishing imo tho you are enclosed somewhat.
SOT is far easier to self rescue in and not as likely to get in a potentially exciting predicament because of that. You can bring lots more comfortably and it is far easier to get to your stuff.
[signature]
I got the trident 11 fishing kayak made by ocean in October so I haven't used it much yet. It has good reviews you might want to look at them I think they start at around 800.00 but you never know when they are going to go on sale. I got mine in camo as a bonus from work. I haven't got it all decked out yet but it comes with 2 rod holder's molded in and a cannon rod holder that mounts to the rod pod lid. It's rated for up to 400 lbs. It is the sit on top kind. Severel youtube videos out there on them.Not sure where you live but I travel from Twin to Boise for work on a regular basis if you ever want to try it out on a pond somewhere let me know and I can meet you some where and let you paddle around for a half hour or so to see what you think of them.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info. It definitely helps in making a decision. Ihuntforfish, the reasons you mention is why I am thinking sit-in but can see also where sot has its benefits. BigE that is a nice set up you have. I will keep an eye out for the sales at bass pro.

thanks for the offer of letting me try out you kayak. I live in Henderson. Guess it is time to sit in/on some kayaks to see what feels the best. Again thanks for the info. Might see some of you on the water in the next couple months
[signature]
[cool]I tried a framed pontoon before and hated it. I couldn't get the oars to work properly and struggled the whole time on the water. It would be great with a trolling motor though.
The Ascend was in my price range and I liked the fact that the seat section has a molded in back support so you don't have to rely on the seat alone for support.
I have only taken mine down the Colorado river above willow beach,az. and the water doesn't have a fast flow.
[signature]
Sit in are good for winter. My sit on top keeps my feet wet. Wet feet and cold temperatures don't go together well for me. So my Trident 13 stays in the garage a few months a year.

But for warm weather fishing, a sot is the winner. Getting hot? Straddle the yak putting both feet in the water. Or sit sideways. Way too hot? Just slide off into the water. Its not too tough to get back on top.

I carry a tackle box and big cooler with refreshments in the back, a big bag with ice inside for my catch, and rod holders all over the place. The Trident 13 is rated to carry 425 - 475 lbs. That's a lot of gear.

Can one stand in a sit in yak?
[signature]
Not close to your proposed budget range, but the hobie kayaks are sit on tops, you stay completely dry because you are not paddling plus no water gets in the kayak, and the major plus is that your hands are free to cast because it's a pedal style kayak. I had other sit on tops but I really disliked not being able to move around a cast at the same time. Just something to think about as you upgrade later on after your first kayak. I have also used sit in kayaks and man was it cramped and not comfortable to be in for more than a couple of hours. I realize that others like them, but it wasn't for me. Plus you still get some water on you from the water drip of the paddle even with guards on them. Given you are a smaller area, you are more likely to get cold because you can't move around much. But they are fairly convenient to move around, often times cheaper than some of the fishing SOPs, and you can turn easier (except compared to the hobies which turn on a dime).
[signature]
I also have the Future Beach Trophy 126 , same as ihuntforfish , believe me some of the nice Hobie Type sit on tops are very nice , more expensive and with more bells and whistles you get added weight . Having the versatility to drop in almost any where , keeping our changing water levels in mind , having a vessel that doesnt break my back getting it from my truck to the water is huge for me. My yak weighs about 50 lbs dry. i agree with everything huntforfish said ,wanted to ad that the sit in type yaks will protect your legs from some serious sunburns . See ya out there !
[signature]
[quote fish_or_die] Do those sit on tops do rivers well?[/quote]

[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRapBbRuJDM#t=204"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRapBbRuJDM#t=204[/url]
[signature]
Here I am on my fishing "kayacht" otherwise known as a Hobie Pro Angler 14. THIS, good sir, is the Rolls Royce of fishing kayaks.

[Image: SV400363.jpg]

It is also as heavy as a Roller - and costs as much. I can get it atop my Durango with little effort, however.

I'll argue for a SOT (and my Tongue-in-cheek answer is "Who wants a boat with the acronym SINK?") I think that virtually every kayak designed for fishing is a SOT model. If there are any SINKs designed for fishing, there can't be many. SOTs have MUCH more storage that you can access on the water, mount rod holders and fishfinders with ease, and you can merely step on or off them. None of things are true with a SINK.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Here I am on my fishing "kayacht" otherwise known as a Hobie Pro Angler 14. THIS, good sir, is the Rolls Royce of fishing kayaks.

[.IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/RockyRaab/Kayak/SV400363.jpg[/IMG]

It is also as heavy as a Roller - and costs as much. I can get it atop my Durango with little effort, however.

I'll argue for a SOT (and my Tongue-in-cheek answer is "Who wants a boat with the acronym SINK?") I think that virtually every kayak designed for fishing is a SOT model. If there are any SINKs designed for fishing, there can't be many. SOTs have MUCH more storage that you can access on the water, mount rod holders and fishfinders with ease, and you can merely step on or off them. None of things are true with a SINK.[/quote]

Agree. The PA (pro angler) is the most angler friendly kayak out there IMHO. I have taken it on Mead, Mojave, and the Pacific. It has served me well. I have the 14 ft. Has horizontal rod holders to carry 6 rods so they don't get in your way casting. two built in upright rod holders for trolling or storage. Storage is plenty. I can't say enough good things the bad is its kinda heavy but its features outweigh the cons for me. I am able to load it on my pick up no prob and even solo load it on top of a van with yak racks. With any hobie mirage drive you can multi task while going to next fishing hole. re rig, eat, adjust your sonar instead of having your hands tied to your paddle. Also with the PA you can stand with confidence. helps with casting or sighting fish. hope this helps. Cheers.
[signature]
My brother has the ascend model described here and has only flipped it once due to rider negligence. he forgot the rule to keep the head in line. he was sitting both legs on one side grabbing something out the back and leaned a bit to far over and off he went. This is with multiple outings, aside from that one instance he loves it.

I went with an ocean kayak, he did what he did to flip on mine and nothing happened, its a bit wider and more stable but also costs double. Id say go with the ascend model and use some leftover cash to get a nice seat and paddles and some pole holders.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help. Found a great deal on a Field & Stream Eagle Talon 12' Sit in[size 3]. For the price figured it would be a good starter. Took it out last week for the first time and couldn't be happier. [/size]Caught a couple stripper at government wash just trolling around.
[signature]