Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton's iced up
since there was an inquiry about Newton last week I thought I'd go check it. It seems to have a safe cap on it now, however the edges were a little thin because it seems to be rising (yehaaw!!!). It's up about 2 ft so far as I could tell. I didn't have an auger but some big rocks survived the big toss except around the edges. I didn't fish but I would guess the fishing should be good until mid January at least or until the oxygen is reduced. I'm hoping to go over and check, and reduce, the fish population out this weekend.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Fishnate, with the small area of water that is left, the fish should be easy pickings. We look forward to your report and good luck when you go. Could you see any drilled holes in the ice? WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up fishnate. I've never fished up there, but I'd like to try one day. Good luck when you go out.
[signature]
A big cold snap and many of my favorite fishing hole will be ready.
[signature]
So far as I could see from the dam it didn't look like there had been any activity there yet. I hope to get out for a short morning on Saturday and if that happens I'll post my findings. I'm going to take my sidefinder and see if I can determine if anything is still alive. I just hope the water keeps rising because that should help keep oxygen in there.
[signature]
i was just going to ask if it looked like any fish survived this whole ordeal. sounds like you dont know either. i sure hope something did. i was disgusted last time i went by and saw how unbelievably low the water was. i did catch about a 5 lb bass though that day. my biggest out of newton so far. is the creek seeping in to raise the water in back? i look forward to seeing if you find some fish in there too.
[signature]
Xman,my folks are from over in that neck of the woods,so I spend quite a bit of time over there and the creek running into it has been flowing a little bit since the deer hunt!!M.H.
[signature]
[red][size 3]Add me to the list of those wondering how you fare. Newton was one of the favorite family spots as there was great fishing for all ages, lots of species, and in many sizes. I've got my fingers crossed. [/size][/red]
[signature]
well thqat is good news to hear for sure. it wasnt running at all towards the end of spring so i thought for sure this would happen and it did. i hope it came through a little bit. it will take forever for the state to bring the crappie fishery back, if they even plan to that is.
[signature]
Just a little extra snippet of info concerning the fish population. A friend of mine took his kids fishing over there in mid-October, after the big die-off, and they had a ball catching many hand-sized bluegill. That gives me hope that at least some of the fish should still be in good shape and numbers.
[signature]