Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Fish'n Report 12/14
Three of us soft water boys took the boat up to the open water at Deer Creek on Sunday. Only one other small alumimun boat fishing the whole day.

The water was still low but managed to launch without much difficulty. 4WD was necessary for larger boats - brothers boat was 18' jet so it was a little easier than a prop boat. The weather was calm to windy and water temp was 37 degrees.

The fish that were at 38' to 45' were had moved in a little shallower - the active fish seemed to be in the 28' to 32'.

Son-in-Law caught a nice football rainbow within 1 minute of letting out his lure. It jumped several times and in the bucket it went.

The walleyes weren't hitting on any worm harness or bottom bouncer.

I tried a small perch colored crank bait and hooked into a nice 19" walleye that is on tonights dinner menu.

Then we tried down toward the dam and most of the trout were in the 10' to 15' depth on the fishfinder. But we only saw them.

After a while son-in-law put on the pop-gear & worm and hook into another football size (19") rainbow. And in the box it went.

Sorry no pictures - forgot the camera but I did get the walleye for dinner in December - Oh Yah...

If the weather permits and the water stays soft I will hit Deer Creek again.

Had a Great Day....
[signature]
Nice report Lundman and way to go on the December eye. I caught one last December at Deer creek but it was a lot smaller than the one you caught, winter eyes are tough. How fast were you trolling and did you try any jigging with nightcrawlers? WH2
[signature]
Nice report Craig, thanks for keeping us up to date! Only Walleye I've ever caught was about 4" long.
[signature]
Seems like a fun trip, I know i had some good times this year on Deer creek!!!
[signature]
Lundman,

What depth was the crankbait running? I think I might try Deer Creek this Friday with the boat. We always have good luck for trout this time of year there with spoons longlined.
[signature]
Last year we also had great luck long lining spoons for the trout but this year we are concentrating on the eyes....

We were trolling everything deep except for the trout rod.

We didn't try the jigs too much - we were slow trolling with the electric and couldn't pick up the bite - so we trolled a little faster that way one of us could try for trout and the other two for walleye...

If I were heading up Friday I would stick mid-reservior in the 30' to 45' range and the standard trout lures were producing...

And best of all only one other boat and they were catching trout with the popgear & worm combo...
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I will try for the eyes with a vertical jigging presentation . First with spoons and nils. ( Have you found any plase in Utah that sells salmo lures?)Then I will try some jigs tipped with bait. Last year I used a spoon on my downrigger 35ft behind the ball and did prety well in 35ft of water.One walleye makes my day. At times those tight lipped fish make me want to dive in with my scuba gear and go mano a mano.
[signature]
Did you try HFT?
[signature]
Not yet but I will give them a call. Salmo makes a vertical jigging bait that looks just like a chub called a "chubby darter". I want to try it this year a Strawberry.
[signature]