Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coq De Leon
CDL is a popular tailing product. There are at least 7 different CDL variations/color. Does anyone tie with CDL and what color do you recommend? Also, is Hareline CDL a good product? Wide variety of product/prices in the market place. Thanks.
[signature]
Yes, Hareline CDL is great stuff. Very stiff and clean fibers for tails.

Something else to consider is the hen CDL from Whiting. Good stuff: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/02/tie-k...s-ear.html

I like it for tails and wings on nymphs mostly. The colors they offer are amazing...
[signature]
I use the Whiting. AWESOME on softhackles too

[Image: IMG_2228-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1108.jpg]
[signature]
Thank you for the reply.
Hareline offers 7 choices---Is there 2 or 3 colors you would recommend for most applications?
Whiting offers 19 colors --- What colors do you recommend ?
You and Cheech are doing an excellent job with your website.
[signature]
Thanks BrownTrout.

On the Hareline CDL (again I use more for tails on dries), I like the Barred Speckled (Aconchado) and the Ginger Speckled (Flor de Escoba) is a nice lighter alternative. Whiting also has some great rooster Saddle and capes and you get more for your money there.

The Whiting colors, assuming you're talking about the Hens, really just depend on what you're going to tie. I have most of the colors in the Hen Saddle CDL and I use the Speckled Copper Olive and the Brown Speckled Probably most. I use that on nymph tails, legs, soft hackles and such.

If you want to try a different style of CDL, their "Full Soft Hackle w/ Chickabou" is great. Killer stuff in there. Check out the Chickabugger, made entirely from one pelt, two different feathers: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/02/chickabugger.html

Anyway, hope that helps.
[signature]
Thank you ---- Your comments give me an excellent starting point. I just finished viewing Streamer- Palozza--- Very nice video---I enjoyed the full real-time tie's.
[signature]