Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Record Laker / Not Released
World record "tip up caught" Laker that maybe should have been released,,,dead.

Do you keep on fishing after you have a limit and chance killing fish that you can not keep?

Do you feel bad for this guy?

What are the chances of survival {after a long fight, and handing around for photos} of one of these big pot guts?

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/...ious-snag/
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]Do you keep on fishing after you have a limit and chance killing fish that you can not keep?

Do you feel bad for this guy?[/quote]

Sure do. I also fish where there are slot limits, where the first fish of the day and every one after that may be not be legal to keep and may wind up dying anyway. Anyone who fishes Bear Lake risks catching a Bear Lake Cutthroat that cannot be kept, regardless of how many other fish they have already kept. A lot of people fish in your backyard, where a good percentage of the trout have to be released because they cannot legally be kept.

No. I don't have any sympathy for him. He should have let the fish go. The fight may have been hard on the fish, but I think being handled for pictures was a lot tougher on it than being brought in.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
I hope they throw the book at him..He's a poacher..

And YES I have fished in waters that fish must be released even if they may die..Most people in Utah have, the berry for one and Jordanelle for another and we have others..But until the fish is dead who can say for sure if it will die or not..
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]This is the second posting of this unfortunate incident that I've seen. Were some infractions of the law committed here? You bet. And I'm sure Mr. Scott will have an opportunity for his day in court.[/#800000][/font][quote castnshoot]World record "tip up caught" Laker that maybe should have been released,,,dead. [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Based on the published account of what happened, I would say there is no maybe to it; he should have immediately released the second fish.[/#800000][/font]

Do you keep on fishing after you have a limit and chance killing fish that you can not keep? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]That would depend entirely upon the law in effect for the area you are fishing and your own ethical standards. In some cases the answer COULD be yes and in others it could be no. There are too many unknown variables here to make a definitive answer.[/#800000][/font]

Do you feel bad for this guy? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No, not really. I'm pretty certain he knew in his heart that he was committing a violation of the law based on the published version of the story.[/#800000][/font]

What are the chances of survival {after a long fight, and handing around for photos} of one of these big pot guts? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]All I know for sure is that the chance of survival is less than 100%. When you follow all of the published guidelines perfectly on safely releasing any species of fish, some of them are going to die. It's one of those hard, Sad facts of life.[/#800000][/font]

[url "http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/enormous-lake-trout-far-heavier-than-world-record-but-theres-a-serious-snag/[/quote]"]http://www.grindtv.com/...rious-snag/[/quote][/url]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I looked in the Wyoming regs where I do most my fishing and see that it is "unlawful to take game fish for another person". Does this mean I can't give my mother-in-law a trout to eat? Does this mean if my buddy catches a fish and I catch one and he takes them when I drop him off at his house I'm breaking the law?

I think trophy lake trout should be treated carefully and released as a precious resource. I would think if this guy would have made the proper effort the fish would have lived. But I think enforcing laws to the "letter of the law" often times gets away from the "spirit of the law". I'm pretty sure that everybody that has ever been in the field, if gone over with a fine tooth comb is guilty of something. My feeling is this guy had no malicious intent and I hope he gets off! I watched an undercover DWR guy at the boat ramp a Pelican bust 3 guys for having 31 blue gill. One fish over he confiscated all 31 fish, give them a citation with a hefty fine. One fish over in that situation I think is an honest mistake and a warning would have been plenty. I think the law gets carried away more than is needed IMO.
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]World record "tip up caught" Laker that maybe should have been released,,,dead.

Do you keep on fishing after you have a limit and chance killing fish that you can not keep?
[#ff0000]Yes I do keep fishing.[/#ff0000]
Do you feel bad for this guy?
[#ff0000]No I don't feel bad for him. He knew what he was doing and was dumb enough to brag about it to the paper.[/#ff0000]

[url "http://[/quote]"][/quote][/url]
[signature]
I hope he gets off just about anyone would have done the same thing great fish[bobsurprised]
[signature]
Fishrmn wrote,," A lot of people fish in your backyard, where a good percentage of the trout have to be released because they cannot legally be kept."

Fishrmn,, you are right there are plenty of places in Utah that even if you have a really good day of fishing you still likely won't catch one you can keep. Likely we all have killed a few whether we know it or not.

Ye I have a back yard on the down wind side of one of those places. I really see it when the trolling bite is hot. The trollers really seem to kill em.

The states biologist said at a meeting concerning this lake a couple of years ago that
they figured that a trout on average would be caught 5 times before being killed by a fishermans hook. I don't know how he came up with that.
[signature]
No I don't think so, I like to think that most would keep it on the up an up...
But then I had some one try to clam my C&R for small mouth bass with a 21" and they tried to take it off the lake to weigh it as well..
[signature]
And your welcome to your opinion[bobWink]
[signature]
one fish limit...simple you keep you're done. keep fishing cut your line. we have all fished trophy areas no?
[signature]
[quote Moosedog]I looked in the Wyoming regs where I do most my fishing and see that it is "unlawful to take game fish for another person". Does this mean I can't give my mother-in-law a trout to eat? Does this mean if my buddy catches a fish and I catch one and he takes them when I drop him off at his house I'm breaking the law[/quote]

In Utah, and this is the Utah board of BFT, it is legal to give your fish to someone else. But [red]NOT[/red] in the field.

Quote:The following are the only places where you may donate or give protected aquatic wildlife or its parts to another person:
• The residence of the donor
• The residence of the recipient
• A meat locker
• A storage plant
• A meat-processing facility
You may not donate fish in the field.
A written statement of donation must be kept with the protected aquatic wildlife or parts that includes all of the following information:
• The number and species of protected aquatic wildlife or parts donated
• The date of donation
• The license or permit number of the
donor
• The signature of the donor

[quote Moosedog]My feeling is this guy had no malicious intent and I hope he gets off![/quote]

He knew the fish was over his limit. If it wasn't, why give the 4 pounder to someone else? He knew he was bending the rules. If it's no big deal, what happens when you've shot a decent buck on the hunt, you're field dressing him, and a HUGE buck strolls out of the brush 100 yards away? Do you leave the one you're cleaning to rot, and shoot the big boy?
[green]Come on, there was no malicious intent. The big buck just showed up.[/green]
[signature]
According to the internet the world record is 72 pounds . Caught in 1995 . Great Bear Lake , North West Territory . The Idaho State Record is 57 pounds 8 ounces . Caught in Priest Lake .
[signature]
"Tip Up Caught" I guess maybe a separate record. Like released record.

Not the real #1 record. Just a side note record.
[signature]