Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Wyoming
I've been watching your weather down there and made up my mind that next winter I would like to spend a couple of months with you folks in the warmer temps and do some fishing.
What I'm looking for is some info on lakes that have camping with a 5th wheel that won't break the bank in fees.
Walleyes would be great but bass would do me just fine.
Not much into trout but pan fish would be OK too.
Sure would be thankful for any input you folks would be willing to share
We have some good walleye lakes here at home but my Ranger dosen't not do well through the ice in Jan. and Feb. [crazy]

Thanks in advance for any info

CRANKEM
[signature]
Hey Roger, how you been? I can't be of any help with finding a good place to camp in Az but here is a link to a report a new member made about catching some big crappie there: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=859985;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=859985;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
Did you do any ice fishing this winter? Sounds like you are getting tired of those cold Wy Winters[Wink].
[signature]
Well you would definitely love our winter weather here in az. The fishing down in the desert lakes can be very slow though. I don't think there are too many people from az that target walleye. Most of the people who catch them are fishing for bass and just happen to get lucky and hook walleye. Arizonas best walleye lake is Show Low lake up in the white mountains but if you end up there you won't be avoiding the cold weather. Show Low is 6331 feet in elevation and gets plenty of snow. The lake doesn't freeze solid enough to fish on for walleye but higher elevation lakes can be good ice fishing for trout.

I know there are a few desert lakes that hold walleye but not in large numbers like show low lake. I believe saguaro, canyon, and apache lake all have walleye. All of those lakes are great for bass in the warmer months but they slow down a lot during the winter, even when the air temperature in the 70's

As for camp grounds I wouldn't be much help. I did stay a year in a very nice rv park in deer valleys but it was a long way from any lakes and was a little expensive.
[signature]
Go to Havasu. Its pretty warm there all winter. Lots of bass. Not sure on eyes, but not many, if any. I know of a few people who go there for the winter.
[signature]
Crankem,

I would suggest checking out the Parker, AZ area. There are plenty of camping option to pretty much fit any budget. All along the Parker Strip there are river accessible sights and plenty of people to get to know. I have a house on the strip and fish nearly everyday when we are down here from Utah. The pic below is from today off the dock. In Parker there are several options. You can fish the river right outside your trailer door for largess, smalls and cats, be on Lake Havasu in a few minutes for largeis, smallies, strippers and panfish and you are a couple hours from being on the famed Martinez Lake (Big Bass). This area is a real draw for Snow Birds. Good restaurants that cater to snowbirds and a world class golf course. Just my two cents.
[signature]
How would it be, you lucky dog. How many months a year do you live down there?
[signature]
Just a family house we share it with other members, we really don't live down here at all. Just back and forth to Utah 7-8 times a year. I pull my boat down from Bear River City in Oct-Nov and leave it here for the winter, fish a few times over the holidays and bring it back in March. Love it down here. Hope to retire here.
[signature]
Still nice to have a place like that you can go to in the Winter, even if you share it with others. How many hours does it take to drive down there?
[signature]
About 11.5 from BRC if we get good traffic through SLC.
[signature]