Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging Lindon Berglets 3-5-14
[#0000FF]One of my earliest trips to Lindon in a few years. Better than my first trip on Willard a couple of weeks ago.

Air temp 32 at 6:30 am launch. Water temp inside harbor 41. I was optimistic. Water depth a little over 4 feet average inside the harbor. Coming up but still two to three feet lower than full.

Didn't see any fishy marks on sonar while motoring across the harbor to the outlet. But I did stop to pitch a tandem small plastic rig at the beginning of the channel. First cast...thump, headshake, pull. Wow. Thought I might have scored a walleye. Nope. Turned out to be a "toothless golden walleye". Kept it for future Purina Cat Chow. No more inquiries inside...or out on the points.

Pointed my tube toward the bubbleup and cranked up the electric motor. Hadn't gone too far until it began to sound like someone eating crackers. I was breaking through skim ice...and then got into some thicker stuff, with some ice berglets scattered around in the skim. Veddy intermesting. But as long as I kept the motor at about mid speed...and rocked the tube a bit...I was able to crunch my way through the crust.

It took a while but I came out of the worst of it about the time I reached the bubbleup. But there was no inflow and they have not set up the buoys yet. However, I have the pipeline pretty well triangulated with landmarks on shore so I was able to find the pipe with sonar. Worked along it but did not see anything on the screen. Threw large plastics and small plastics. Nary a nip.

As I got out near the end of the pipeline I rigged up a minnow to drag on one rod while I continued with plastics on the other. A lot of fun working the tube through the ice chunks with the bait line and trying to avoid snagging them with the plastics as I reeled through them on the retrieve.

After freeing a piece of snagged ice with the plastics I noticed that line was running off the reel on the minnow rod. So I put up the plastics rod, picked up the other rod, waited for the line to come tight and POW. Pretty solid resistance and a surprising battle for the 34 degree water I was in. Once again, I was hoping for teeth but had to settle for whiskers. Okay by me. Need some smoking material anyway. First chilly kitty aboard.

No skunk smell today. Just carp and catfish. Thas okay too.

Continued to work up and down the pipeline...from 6 foot deep into about 3 feet. Couldn't buy a poke on plastic and no more inquiries on the bait. So I put up the plastic and rigged a second bait rod with a half of a small white bass. Worked back out into the 5-6 foot depths where I had caught the first cat.

Dragged the buffet of baits over a large area...dodging berglets as I went. No more hits for about an hour. Then the rod with the white bass got hit. Line popped out of the clip and began zinging off the open bail spool. Once again, I flipped the bail closed, waited for the line to come tight and rocked his world. Yee haww...another porky kitty. Much fun.

But, that was it. Another hour of dragging dual baits over a wide area didn't produce another bite. And then a SW breeze started to come up...pushing the ice back in toward shore. So, I cranked up and headed for the harbor.

Stopped to work the outside edges of the rocks. Still nothing there that wanted to play. But the water temp had risen to 38 degrees just outside the harbor. Hmmmm. Watched the temp climb to 40 and then 41 as I moved fully inside. Tossed out a minnow on one rod and began working a couple of usually good areas with plastics. Shoulda saved another half hour and just gone straight to the ramp. But the water temp was 44 at the ramp, and my "tuber tootsies" had returned to the living.

No boats on the lake and no bank tanglers. There were a couple of dock dunkers but I watched them for a long time and didn't see either of them bring in any fish. They might have filled a bucket before I got there but nothing while I was watching.

With the water level and water temps coming up it won't be long until all species move in and get active.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
great post pat..got a question I am told that you have to skin cats a guy at sportsmans told me you don't before you fillet them? help
[signature]
[#0000ff]Cats should always be skinned...either before filleting or during the process. I prefer to fillet them just like almost any other fish...as in the attached PDF file. I cut behind the head, then run the knife down the spine to slab off the fillet, then run the knife blade between skin and flesh to skin them.

The process is much easier with a good electric knife. You can do it with "regular" fillet knives but the rib bones on catfish are tough. An electric makes that part of the job less punishing.

Some folks still stick to the old process of nailing the fishes' heads to a board and then cutting and peeling off the skin with a pair of pliers before cutting off the flesh. Takes more time and does not produce a better fillet.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report! Thanks! I was thinking about heading out there this weekend with the toon. Not sure sure I'm going to be able to make it. Its nice to know the ice is going away.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I saw no large sheets of thick ice. There were quite a few small chunks up to 2 or 3 inches thick...of rotten ice. After the sun warmed the water a little and the breezes kicked up it was hard to even see any ice.

I'm guessing that the breezes from our next "weather" will finish stacking up the loose stuff on various shorelines. Should be ice free soon.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
So is the rumor true that you have specially equiped your tube with Kevlar reinforcement to turn it into an Ice Breaker !! You never cease to amaze me Pat. Now, why did you go to the bubble up rather than the dump ditch. I would think that there is warmer water coming in to the DD that would attract some of our finny friends !! Great report !!
[quote Therapist]So is the rumor true that you have specially equiped your tube with Kevlar reinforcement to turn it into an Ice Breaker !! You never cease to amaze me Pat. Now, why did you go to the bubble up rather than the dump ditch. I would think that there is warmer water coming in to the DD that would attract some of our finny friends !! Great report !![/quote]

[#0000FF]My tube does have thick PVC (what else) coating on the bottom and I have tested it in the past on thicker ice that the skim ice I hit today. Also, the motor shaft in the front...followed by the two inflated boat bumper floats...really did most of the ice breaking. The motor itself was riding deep enough in the water that it was never in danger of dinging the prop.

I mentally flipped a coin as I came out of the harbor this morning. I have done well at the mouth of Battle Creek (dump ditch) in the past...but usually when the water level is higher. I did not anticipate finding an ice field to break through by heading toward the bubbleup and I have done well there early in the year too. But I always do better when there is some flow coming in...and there was none today. Frankly, once I saw the conditions...and the water temps...I was prepared to just fight my way back through the ice with nothing to show for it. Thankfully those silly kitties took pity on me. Kinda rhymes, don't it.

I had also considered hitting the other inflow on the way back, if time permitted. But with the SW breeze starting to pick up I opted to head in rather than risk getting "iced out". I have had to race the ice to the harbor more than once.

I have had a few trips in the past in which I hit both areas in the same day and it paid off. Couldn't test that plan today.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey TD nice to see ya back in your natural element. Glad the kitties were playful. Hope you whities show up soon. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. Early cats are always a bonus.

Still watching and waiting on the white bass. A few showed up here and there through the ice but no great catches of decent sized fish. There was a big winter kill during the winter before this one...and poor food and spawning condiitions last year. Some whites found good living areas and did well. Many did not.

If they are going to make a showing it will be about mid May. There will be some caught before then but that is when they "get busy".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like the first kitty was giving you a welcome home turd on your float tube [laugh].

Nice kitties by the way keep it up. [angelic]
[signature]
And so it begins....[cool]. Good to see you are still wailing on those kitties. Looks like my fishing days may get cut in half this year [:/]. So I will have to get some of my fix from your reports.[laugh]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. Just the start of a good year...I hope.

About the "gift". If you studied biology you should know that what goes in must come out. Catfish are notorious for "downloading" when they are handled. Shoulda named THEM "crappies".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Cut in half? You didn't really get out that much last year. Work scheduling problems or family obligations? How's Becky doing?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Bekki is doing great. She had surgery on her bad wrist last month and is healing nicely. For me I went from weekly to biweekly pay so the fishing money has gone down for me. So it may be biweekly trips instead of weekly trips this year.[crazy]. Also Bekki hates it when I go out alone as well. But I do have some planned here really quick.[Smile]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Just gotta plan carefully and try to make the money stretch for some of the essential things, like fishing.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Awesome! I'm thinking of taking a boat to the knolls in the next week or so. How have you done there in march for kitties and everything else. I have always been surprised that I don't catch more walleye there with all of the rock.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Good luck. Just gotta plan carefully and try to make the money stretch for some of the essential things, like fishing.

[/#0000FF][/quote]

Yes the planning part is easy. Stretching not so much.[sly] but hey, I have a plan that if I can't make it out fishing one week I can always work on my secondary hobby. Also works great when mama nature starts throwing her fits.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I don't fish the Knolls as much during March and April. Usually hit Lindon and Lincoln more until about the end of April. But I almost always catch cats at the Knolls.

I have tried for the walleyes there early a couple of times...without great success. But I know others who swear by it and have caught lots of wallies...not just off the rocks but a couple of places along the other shorelines too.

Most of the walleyes I have caught at the Knolls have been post spawn...late May and June...while pitching plastics, spinners or cranks for white bass. The walleyes tend to hang out in the places the whities are grouping up and they hit the same lures.

I really miss not being able to launch and fish at the Knolls. My contacts at DWR assure me that there are positive negotiations going on with the land owners in the area. There are proposals on the table to secure limited access to the public in return for some improvements in roads and security. But whenever multiple parties are involved...and anything to do with governing agencies...you know it ain't gonna happen quickly.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Crusts huh? I hate them while skiing, I hate them while pontooning, and I especially hate them on my sandwich!

Pity and Kitty do rhyme. I have been calling my pitbull a "pity kitty" for years!

Great report.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks.[/#0000FF]
[signature]