Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landing big fish through the ice?
On the North Carolina board there is a great instruction on how to land big fish, but what do you do when those fish have to come through the ice. Already this year I've lost two nice fish because I wasn't able to get them through the hole! (One was a monster...the other was just really nice.)

Any tips on an effective way to handle these situations. I've been icefishing for a few years now and have yet to find a great technique. I like to use 4# test while icefishing (a lot of other fishing too actually), so it's trick lifting those lunkers out of the hole! I think that I am also handicapped by fishing in an ice tent. It's makes it even more tricky when there is such little space to move in.
[signature]
First off let me know where you are fishing to get such big fish that they are hard to lift up through the ice. Second make sure you have your drag set to the right setting. My brother lost several fish last Saturdat at Scofield because he didn't have his drag set. He had his line break twice and then one of the fish straightened the hook he was using. I would have loved to have seen that fish. Also, don't be afraid to let your pole bend, that is what they are made for. In my limited experience I have lost more fish trying to get their heads up into the hole than I have actually lifting them that final bit onto the ice. Once their heads are into the hole they can only slide straight back down and that is when people put too much tension on the line and have the line snap or lose the hook. I have heard of people using a gaff (? spelling and proper word?) to get the fish once they are in the hole. I have never used one or had the need but I would love to catch a fish big enough through the ice to have the need to use something like that to actually get it up.

Just keep trying and let your rod do the work. The more you try the more fishing you are doing and it is always a good excuse to go fishing to claim you are trying to improve yourself. Good luck.
[signature]
The only place that I have been able to icefish so far this year has been Scofield. That's where the huge one was at. However, I always manage to lose some nice ones at Strawberry. The hardest parts for me are 1. getting the head into the hole and 2. lifting them out. I've found that if I can get ahold of the fish's mouth that it helps, but that can make for some nasty hamburger thumb when you catch those nice cutthroats.
[signature]
I always take my Rapala Loc-n-Weigh along in case of the big one. I believe gaffs are illegal
[signature]
When a friend of mine caught a 48 inch tiger muskie through the ice, he got half of it through the ice and his friend ran about 10 yards and did a sliding tackle on the fish, to get it the rest of the way out of the hole. Good thing too, it ended up being a world record!!!
[signature]
Gaffs Are Legal but there are some restrictions on using them at flaming gorge, also it hurts the fish too much to release them(or so I've been told).One last thing How wide is your auger?
[Image: mxmas.gif]
[signature]
I use an 8" auger (handheld) because anything bigger wears me out too much when the ice at Strawberry gets really thick.
[signature]
Oh ok I wasjust wondering because recently I found a 4 inch auger in my garage that my dad bought a long time ago and if you were using one that small that could be a big problem, but an 8 inch should be big enough.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Numero Uno to landing BIG fish….. (Polokid knows this one)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Breathe through your nose and say to your self “it’s just a fish”[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]More fish are lost to people getting too excited and trying to hurry than any other reason. If you hook a good fish the natural reaction is to get excited and hurry. You have to realize this and correct the behavior. Once you do, you’ve got it made. The rest is technique.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Take your time and let the fish tire himself out so he’s not as active at the hole. Most BIG fish are lost at the hole because you are trying to get him out and he’s thrashing like a mad dog. Let a fish get some leverage against the ice and chances are you’re going to lose him. We lost the biggest mack, I’ve personally ever seen at Bear Lake, because the kid who hooked him got in a hurry and tried to get him out too soon because he saw the fish and went stupid. He started trying to pull the fish through and that big mack still had plenty of steam.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This is exactly the reason I like lower geared reels so you can keep the pressure on a fish but not bring him up too fast. Nothing like grindin’ and wearing a big fish out before trying to handle him.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Most BIG fish have a pretty good reserve of strength left especially when they see the boat or the ice hole. Be prepared for it. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Big fish are hard to bring through by yourself. Resist the tendency to try and lift him through yourself. Either have your buddy in position to help you or wear the fish down so you will be able to handle the fish with one hand because your other hand will have the rod in it. Lip Grippers or and of the lip clamping devices are great for grabbing a toothy fish but be prepared when you touch a tired looking fish that he will thrash so you got one good shot before he starts thrashing again.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If you have the potential to catch BIG fish, max out your ice hole to the largest legal size. It’s easier to pull a 20lb mack or 30lb musky through the largest legal size ice hole than through that 6” or 8” hole. [/size][/font]
[signature]
I always have a pair of Neoprene glove with me whenever I do any kind of fishing, especially ice fishing. They have been great so far, especially at Fish Lake. Try a couple of those next time.[Wink]
[signature]
It was great, I got to use your famous phrase this past weekend!!! (hope you dont mind???) Took my friend Jason out on a doe hunt we had tags for, and he had never shot at big game before, he missed at least 8 deer before he got his, and I think he got tired of me telling him to just breath through his nose, it is just a doe!!! [cool]
[signature]
My only concern with letting a fish tire out is that I worry about stressing it too much. How much of a fight can a big trout handle? I like to let the big one's go after a snapping a picture, but I also like to know that they're going to live.
[signature]
In a pinch, a pair of needle nose pliers, or Leatherman's can be used to get the fish out of the hole.
[signature]
I have had the priviledge of pulling some very large fish through the ice the last couple years and found it's best to have two people. Don't try it yourself unless your partner is a complete bufoon. I grabbed a 13 pound brown through an 8 inch hole last winter for a close friend. Very exciting. Use your drag and don't get in a hurry. You can't force a big fishes head into the hole. Let him run and bring him back till you can get the head in the hole. Have your friend take off their gloves and get on their knees right next to the hole. As soon as the fishes nose hits the surface, have your buddy reach in with both hands right behind the opercles (gill covers). Put the death grip on it and yank it out of the hole. Of course, this is not the preferred method for catch and release. This technique works for the big trophy you are going to kill. It's sounds like common sense, but you better have a plan when that big momma comes calling or you may just have another 'the one that got away' story. Just my dos centavos.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
i dont ice fish but i think this will fix it. one drill a bit bigger hole. two get a lip gripper, and three put some heavier pound test on the pole.
[signature]