Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mussel Certification
As a lot of folks are dragging their boats out of dry dock, and many brave anglers already have, might be a good time to plunk down 20 minutes and complete the online exam, and get your certification, good for the year. Just remember to PUT IT IN YOUR WINDOW when you go boating. Believe you're supposed to have one on your boat with you too.

Fill it out once, and be done. Don't need to remember not to forgte at launch time (if your checklist is like mine, gots enough already. Straps, yes, nose-check, motor up, PLUG IN!)

[url "https://dwrapps.utah.gov/wex/dbconnection.jsp?examnbr=507273"]Online Exam[/url]

[url "https://wildlife.utah.gov/mussels/PDF/self_certify.pdf"]Download Form[/url]
(if you don't have time for the exam, you can at least pre-print and pre fill the form, current date)

While you're studying mussels - this is a pretty incredible video of some bass-trickery done by - you got it, mussels. For the non-believer in Evolution - I challenge you to watch this and not at least turn your head sideways in amazement:

Mimicry and Trickery. Bass aren't stupid, by blind Mussels are pretty clever too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YTBj0WHkU
Good info, thanks. I always print several copies of the certificate, one for the truck, one for the Jeep, and one for each boat. I fold them in half and have them laminated so they're waterproof.
[signature]
I was hoping that Utah would get serious about their AIS program.It seems like more of the same ole ,same ole with Utah.They need to do away with the online certification(any 14 years old can pass the test) and start actual boat inspections.Utah needs to be proactive like Wyoming.It's only a matter of time before mussels will be in the gorge. The more that boats have a physical inspection,the less chances of AIS becoming a problem with the gorge.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]So - now that I have successfully completed the on-line test and I've been issued a Certificate, does that mean I have to quit ice fishing until next ice season?[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][fishin][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
No, but you'll need to steam clean your sled.
[signature]
[quote MisterCompletely]No, but you'll need to steam clean your sled.[/quote]
[Image: smiley-face-lol-emoticon.gif]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Or maybe just let it dry for 30 days?[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Lake Powell being infested is a severe threat to Utah waters.

I like wake surfing as much as the next guy, but picturing all those ballast tank-equipped power boats running between Lake Powell and their normal Weekend destinations has me very concerned.

I think the test is dumb. The stupid little forms you sign to just go boat are ludicrous.
[signature]
[quote MasterDaad]I think the test is dumb. The stupid little forms you sign to just go boat are ludicrous.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Hey MD; I couldn't agree more. But it is the law of the land (state) and I do my best to obey the law; so I took the test and I'll display the certificate in my launch vehicle. Just as you probably will.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]But it doesn't really matter how aggressive Utah gets with their program. Just like bucket biologists who think they know better than DWR about stocking fish in Utah waters, there are going to be those that for whatever reason think the AIS program doesn't apply to them. Therefore, the mussels are going to be in every body of water in the state at some point in the future. And until humans can develop an efficient, inexpensive chemical to eradicate the mussels large scale, there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it. We can delay it for sure. And the more aggressive we get the longer it will take. But it WILL happen eventually.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Take a look at the devastation it has caused in and around the Great Lakes region of Michigan in just the 25 years since 1988 when they were first discovered there. It will take longer here, but it isn't going to be pretty. Sorry for the rant, but don't kid yourself into thinking we can beat this without a scientific breakthrough of a cheap, easily distributed killing agent.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][fishin][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
How 'bout, I did the AIS thing online last week, got my 2014 Certificate, then put my boat in the shop [laugh].
I agree that the written Certification isn't quite enough positive action against AIS. But it's what we got, and it is what it is. I'll comply with it, and do it annually 'cause I've had the experience with, "hey the forms box is empty.....well we can get one from the guy at the ramp. Hey, that guy at the ramp aint there." 6 hours later, Aw come on officer, there were no forms in the box, the guy usually on the ramp with more forms wasn't there. He was ? Am I really supposed to go looking in the outhouse for him ? OK, good idea. I'm going straight home and get online. Just a warning this time? Great, Thanks. But you see my boat here almost every weekend, you have done 3 safety inspections, 4 fishing license verifications, 3 or 4 inspections of my live well and days catch. I have NEVER had ANYTHING out of order with all that stuff before. Why don't you go out in the lake and ticket a few of those power squadron fellas that like to run at 50 MPH just 20 feet off my anchored boat, or cut too close behind me when I'm slow trolling 2 lines and they ALWAYS hook up at least one of them .[mad]
Maybe not exactly word for word, but I had that conversation with a WB DNR Ranger about 3 years ago. Been doing the online AIS Cert ever since.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Done! Got the certification, all the licenses for me, boat, trailer, and trucks -- all the required equipment for the boat -- and all the required insurances on all... now leave me alone I wanna fishin,!![Wink]

BLK
[signature]
Biggest share of park rangers at Willard Bay are just a joke, they need to take some lessons from the guys at Starvation. [Wink]
[signature]
Do these tests and what not apply to kayakers?
[signature]
Yes if it floats its a boat. Be glad you're in Utah so it doesn't cost you $30 per floaty toy like other states. Sorry folks that like to belly ache, but I like the way Utah does it. They teach me how to help the situation and get my buy in. And yes I do actually read the material unlike those that just like to complain. Will everyone do that? No, but most likely they are the same ones that will beat the ramp inspections too by lieing about the boat history. Sorry the close inspections alone don't cut it look at Powell. You need boaters to care and want to keep our waters safe. Later J
[signature]
I did it the other day so I am ready for another year.
[signature]
Need to have an 8 hr class with an endorsement like motorcycle. They could cover mussels, safety and ramp etiquette. There sure are at lot of dumbasses in the world and they hang out around boat docks when it gets warm. I believe the mussels will spread by small crafts unknowingly.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]Need to have an 8 hr class with an endorsement like motorcycle. They could cover mussels, safety and ramp etiquette. There sure are at lot of dumbasses in the world and they hang out around boat docks when it gets warm. I believe the mussels will spread by small crafts unknowingly.[/quote]

Whys that?
[signature]
Quote:Need to have an 8 hr class with an endorsement like motorcycle. They could cover mussels, safety and ramp etiquette. There sure are at lot of dumbasses in the world and they hang out around boat docks when it gets warm. I believe the mussels will spread by small crafts unknowingly.

Maybe--and I say MAYBE-- this should be required of power boaters. I believe PWCs like tubes, pontoons, kayaks, paddleboards, etc. should be exempt. I agree with the others; the mussels will be everywhere.
[signature]
Because they don't think they can and the kayak dudes are pretty stoned. People need to be educated and licensed regardless of the size of the craft.
[signature]
[quote altizerbd]Maybe--and I say MAYBE-- this should be required of power boaters. I believe PWCs like tubes, pontoons, kayaks, paddleboards, etc. should be exempt. I agree with the others; the mussels will be everywhere.[/quote]

And why in the hell should they be exempt? So they can be the cause of the spread?
Spend a few minutes and educate yourself to the consequences of a mussel infestation. We need to do everything we can to slow the process.

Quote:In 2008, the Utah State Legislature made it illegal to possess or transport invasive mussels. If you have been in an infested water, you must decontaminate your boat [red]and equipment[/red] before entering or traveling with it in Utah.

Equipment could be construed to mean waders, boots, nets, even lures.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I completed the quiz, but don't have a printer. I'll get it printed when I have a chance. But I'm curious... are co's able to look up your certification?
[signature]