Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to pimp my Assault XX
.......and I need some help!

I was deciding whether to start this or wait until next winter, but we just got another arctic blast here. I'll be lucky to get on the water by May!!

...So I need some help. I want to mount a few things.

1. A humminbird 570 Fish Finder
2. Anchor Mount
3. Maybe a fish camera if space exists.

I see there are some DIY people in here...I may go that way..but are there an commercial offerings? Lets see 'um!
[signature]
[quote atvaholic].......and I need some help!

I was deciding whether to start this or wait until next winter, but we just got another arctic blast here. I'll be lucky to get on the water by May!!

...So I need some help. I want to mount a few things.

1. A humminbird 570 Fish Finder
2. Anchor Mount
3. Maybe a fish camera if space exists.

I see there are some DIY people in here...I may go that way..but are there an commercial offerings? Lets see 'um![/quote]

If you are looking to buy this stuff ready to strap on, then for the Sonar, I would go.
[url "http://www.floattubefanatics.com/"]http://www.floattubefanatics.com/[/url]

Anchor Mount, cut the two drain holes a little bigger and strap on a Scotty

Fish Camera, are you talking underwater, or a camera mount? If the camera mount, then again Scotty.
[signature]
Hi again FG. Yep its a video camera mount for now - but maybe a fish tv when I can afford one!. The scotty looks good. How do you suggest mounting it to the boat?

um what exactly do you mean by cutting the drain holes? Sounds a bit scary. I did a search on the scotty mount, it looks good! But where do you get the straps?

Also, does not seem to be a lot of real estate on this thing with the oars, bags, etc. Where would be a good place to mount?
[signature]
Running a motor AND an anchor is a different story, however, you can still put a Scotty anchor on the front. On the bottom of the boat on both ends there are two maybe nickel size holes. You have to make them a little bigger for the Scotty straps.
You will need one of these mounts (minus the rod holder) for a TUBE
[url "http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/fly-rod.htm"]http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/fly-rod.htm[/url]

To run a motor and an Anchor, you might have to use some imagination. Hubby put a bigger motor plate on the NFO motor mount and put his electric motor and the anchor.
[Image: IMG_3901.jpg]

For clean out of the way Scotty mounts get these and glue it on with Loctite for Vinyl
[url "http://www.austinkayak.com/products/4053/Scotty-341-Glue-on-Mount-for-Inflatables.html"]http://www.austinkayak.com/products/4053/Scotty-341-Glue-on-Mount-for-Inflatables.html[/url]

For Camera, I have one of these:
[url "http://www.austinkayak.com/products/6567/Scotty-Portable-Camera-Mount-135.html"]http://www.austinkayak.com/products/6567/Scotty-Portable-Camera-Mount-135.html[/url]

Here is mine on a glue on pad
[Image: IMG_4208.jpg]

Scotty makes just about everything you could need and I like dealing with Austin Kayak.

They also make sonar mounts.

I made my own with a 2" nylon strap and quick clips, a flexible cutting board and RAM mount and Hummingbird mount. Pricy but slick.
[Image: 034_zps03195bc5.jpg]

Sky is the limit!
[signature]
Flygoddess is more experienced in this area than I am, and she has been very helpful to me with her advice. I second the idea of Float Tube Fanatics for strapping on your Humminbird. They make a great product.

I don't cut the drain holes on my Renegade when strapping on the Scotty anchor system. The straps run through the existing holes fine for me. So for this, I leave the boat "as is".
[signature]
Just a heads up, I don't know if you have used the anchor set up yet, but for some reason, the straps that come with the Scotty stretch when wet. Tighten them with toon soft. We swapped ours out for NRS straps.
Cutting the holes bigger won't hurt anything. Dave told us to do it. Plus aids in draining.
[signature]
This is a simple way to attach fishfinder to tube using composite (plastic) wood to hold display and transducer with help of a little PVC. Run strap between D-rings and cinch down.

[inline "FF 1.jpg"]

Slot in PVC is for easy removal of transducer cable.

[inline "FF 2.jpg"]

Slot is also used to lock transducer into position.

[inline "FF 3.jpg"]

Transducer wire runs up PVC to keep it out of the way.

[inline "FF 4.jpg"]

Total system ready to strap on to toon.

[inline "FF 5.jpg"]
[signature]
Thanks for some of these ideas FG and Kanderson!

As I started assembling the boat, I want to make sure the motor mount is correct:

[Image: motormount_zpsd328066c.jpg]

My concern is the mount seems to be over sized and doesn't "hug" the pontoons, possibly for a one size fits all mount. They seem to overhang about 2 - 3 inches, and seem to lightly "dig" into the seat. Not sure if this is normal?

Also, I couldn't quite figure how exactly to attach at the "end d-ring" of the boat, I hope this is correct:
[Image: Mount_dring_zpse3ada3e2.jpg]

One thing that has me a little concerned is that my engine seems to sit a little high, and want to make sure that the motor would be submerged enough to get water in the intake:
[Image: engine_zpsc3b10330.jpg]
Its hard to tell from the above picture, but with the rockered hull, it seems to run a bit higher then I like it. I hope I don't need to modify the mount. Wondering if anyone has had a smiliar issue? Or perhaps when its weighed down by its owner it will sit plenty low in the water?

Next, Kanderson's platform reminded my of something I made for another boat. I'm thinking with this method it will be easy to mount what I need quickly. I just hope nothing gets in the way of rowing.
[Image: mount_platform_zpsb28cd0f3.jpg]
[signature]
One piece of advise I can give. Be sure you have end caps on the motor mount. Second, I attach mine while soft. Tighten then finish inflating.

I got dog leash clips and some adjusters from a tent shop, so it is real easy to attach.
[Image: 017.jpg]
[Image: 018.jpg]
[Image: 009.jpg]

This is my Renegade but same size as XX. It is so snug I can pick the boat up with the motor mount.

As for your motor sitting low enough, without seeing a side view hard to tell. If that little shelf above the prop is below the bottom of the boat you will be fine. Figure the boat will sit at least an inch deep.
[signature]
A gas engine is going to put a serious load on that mount, and D rings, be careful. Ron
[signature]
Talked to Dave today and he said guys have been putting 6 hp Yamahas on with no problems. It looks like the one you have on is a 2.5, 2.6 hp motor. That should be a good one.
[signature]
Thanks Mojo, its an old Yamaha 2hp 2-stroke. It weights about 20 lbs I can take it anywhere.

FG/Kanderson:

I have one of these:
[image]http://assets.academy.com/mgen/83/10081483.jpg?is=500,500[/image]

I have found an easy way to attach the pvc, and can make a mount out of it, so that the finder sits on top, and the transducer will go straight below. My problem is the best place to mount it? The best place I can think of is the area behind the front seat and the foot bar("inside" the boat). I'm hoping the finder will be well out of the way of my swinging knuckles when paddling, but will that be an OK place for the transducer? I'm worried of kicking it with my fins...

I have no experience yet with the boat, and the water here is all frozen... so I cant test out for myself.
[signature]
This is what happens when your transducer is too close to your fins. I didn't check it out before first launch of new NFO Predator, so transducer ended up right next to my fins. In the future, I'll move it a few feet behind me (which is where it was on my other 'toon) and that will solve this problem.

[inline "Sonar Fins.JPG"]
[signature]
And we mount the Transducer on the OUTSIDE of the pontoon and no problem there. Tried it on the inside the first time and it fin action screwed up the picture as well.
Mount it in a side bag or just in front of the side bag and you should clear when rowing.
[signature]
The transducer was on the outside, but the prior photo is down-imaging that shoots a 170 degree beam perpendicular to the 'toon, so it will catch the fins (or anything else) that is at a right angle to the transducer. That's why if I move it back a few feet, it's not an issue. On the Assault XX, mounting the transducer by the side-bag, as you suggest, worked great.

With a 20 and 60 degree sonar cone, the fins aren't nearly as noticeable (see below), but still create some interference. Move it a few feet will solve this problem as well.

I just thought the image was an interesting (but extreme) example that you have to give some thought to transducer placement when you've got feet, fins or oars poking down in the water.

[inline "Sonar Fins 2.JPG"]
[signature]
That is interesting. Funny thing also, never gave placement a second thought as the Transducer was always mounted behind me. But, the frameless models where when I noticed it. Not at first on the Renegade as I used again, the rear deck. But when I used the strap on and in front it made a difference. But, I had mine mounted on the inside next to my leg. It would go crazy every time I used my feet..
So, to the outside it went. I might add also, that the transducer is only in the water an inch or two. This made a difference with my sonar and deep nymphing. I got a truer reading on depth and inches matter[Smile]
[signature]