Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help planning Uintas scout backpacking trip.
Once again I fall at the feet of all the great fisherman on BigFishTackle.

My scouts are planning a 50 mile fishing/backpacking trip in the Uintas August 4th through the 9th but I have never really hiked in the Uintas before nor do I know the lakes up there but I hear good things.

My scouts love fishing and they picked this area but I don't want to be surrounded by lots of people but I am not sure if that is possible.

Any information will help or if you know any good resources.

Thanks everyone!
[signature]
Bogley is a good resource for this.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdisplay...mp-Camping

I am a big fan of Big Elk Lake.

Make sure you get in some good training hikes for those scouts (and the leaders). This will ensure a safe and fun time.
[signature]
moon to mirror lake is an awesome trip. Have done that with my brothers. Great fishing, lots of cool country..... Easy pickup and drop off, but would require assistance from drivers, as it is not the same point..... very few people
[signature]
you can start at moon lake, go through brown duck pass and back to moon lake, that should be about 50 miles, give or take.
stop by map world and get the right maps and get them laminated, chances are you'll get rained or snowed on.
[signature]
[quote bankblob]you can start at moon lake, go through brown duck pass and back to moon lake, that should be about 50 miles, give or take.
stop by map world and get the right maps and get them laminated, chances are you'll get rained or snowed on.[/quote]Also get a good GPS, learn to use it,and take extra batteries. Some of the better fishing is off-trail. P.M. me if your scouts would like some bigger brook trout in a little used area.
[signature]
Looking to complete the 50 miler award, does not require it all to be done with packs on all of the miles. Might want to look at a long hike in and out, with decent length day hikes from camp and back to help meet the 50 miles total.

Red Castle lake is about 12 miles each way, with several different lakes in the area, can also hike into another drainage to access more lakes. Fishing is pretty good each of the couple.

Or the Smith Morehouse trail in the western uintas.
If you want to avoid the crowds look at the south slope. Either west fork drainage or lake shore basin. Lots of lakes not too many people.
[signature]
Where have the scouts picked?
What type of trip, what matters most?
Remoteness, fast fishing, bigger fish, scenery, access, trail access, any off trail?

I am thinking scouts are only 5 to 8 miles a day?
Many areas have fire restrictions, no fire areas, and no collecting firewood.

Emphatic, groups of no more than 15 total. Not two groups. Leave no trace camping could be taught.
[signature]
The grand view trail into the primitive area is a great adventure. Lots of good lakes and fishing. Most of all fewer folks. We would hike in to Rainbow lake and use that as a base camp. Then go to any of the other lakes. We'd finish at Betsy for a couple days. Great times!!
[signature]
Thanks for all the help I am getting great ideas from all your responses and it helps me research this out better.

as for the questions they are great questions.

They picked this area for all the lakes anywhere between mirror lake and moon lake but just the Uintas is what it came down too.

I want them all to catch a few fish of different types so they can earn there fish badge and fly fishing badge but if you ask them they would say they only want big fish.

They don't mind being on trails but they want to feel like they are in the woods away from everyone and I wouldn't mind taking off a trail so they could learn how to use a compass with out a trail but I would need to know where the end destination will be.
(I will do this hike before hand so I can test it and learn it before hand).

I would like them to have a fire a few campfire experience because there is nothing like a good campfire with the boys and the stars but we don't need one every night.

We have 5 boys but they all love hiking and the outdoors.
[signature]
One more question. some of you have shared the idea of setting up a base camp which sounds like a great idea but has anyone ever had there stuff stolen while you were gone fish another lake or while you were on a hike? Do you leave your base camp with no-one watching it?

I would hate it if someone came along and stool the boys gear, thats way we are thinking we should backpack from place to place.

thoughts?
[signature]
I've personally never had anything stolen while on alpine trips. I think there is sanctuary and a sacred protection up in that country. Too much work for low-lifes to get their loot.
[signature]
Never have lost anything to theft, but thunder storms are a different matter.

LT
[signature]
My wife and I used to take a ten day backpack trip every summer in the Uintas. We would hike a different drainage every year thinking we would find the places we liked best and go back to them when we got older. We got older and now all we do is day hikes, oh well. We have never had anything taken from our camp other than some snacks that rodents have packed off. We used the base camp concept. We would spend a full day hiking in and set up camp in a central area for several lakes. We would take a day pack for lunch, rain gear, and fishing tackle for hiking to the surrounding lakes. Make sure everyone has good raingear because I can almost guarantee you get rain/snow for a portion of the time your there. The suggestions about picking a drainage on the south slope is a good one. We found that the farther east you went from the wasatch front, the fewer people you ran into. Good luck with the boys, the memories of that trip will last them the rest of their life.
[signature]
Here are a couple of Ideas, depending on age and durability of group. Commend you on small group. The scouts often get a bad rap in the Uintas for unruly conduct, but boys will be boys, and littering, tree chopping.

If you can have a shuttle, Butterfly Lake Trail head to Moon Lake, over Rocky Sea Pass, do the upper Rock Creek basin, then down to Rock and Squaw Lakes and out to Moon. A whole lot of country.

Another would be Moon Lake to Brown Duck/Kidney, up over Tworose Pass to Squaw basin, back over Pass by Cleveland Peak to Picture Lake basin, then back to Kidney to Moon Lake.

Spirit Lake to Island Lake to Chepeta to Walk Up and up and over the ridge to Tamarak back to Spirit Lake.

The Granddaddy Basin is great, a lot of fire restrictions, loads of people, good fishing, base camp and day hike.

Hope the best, would love to help in anyway. Creating discovery of every new lake with help them want to see more and more. Lake Addiction.
[signature]