Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield ice?
Hello all,

Any word on ice coming off Chesterfield? Anyone know if there's at least open water around the shoreline?

Thanks!
[signature]
I havnt heard from up that way but as of last sunday, deepcreek, devils, and weston, all had some water around the edges but not enough open water to fish yet i would think chesterfield is in the same boat
[signature]
If you don't get any first hand reports, here is what the satellite could see on the 12th. Two days old, but it is a higher resolution picture than yesterday's. The darker the color the more open the water. Looks like it is breaking up and upper is open. There might be water open around the edges too. Can't really tell that from the sat. picture, but I would guess that it is getting melted enough that there should be open edge especially where any of the creeks come in.

By contrast AF is fully open, and Blackfoot only has a couple of places where the water is beginning to open. You have to really know where Blackfoot Res is to even spot some of it getting melted. edit....I cropped this picture too close to see anything but the tip of Blackfoot Res...so never mind. Smile

Here is where the picture is from: [url "http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery.php?op=fire&passID=258775"]http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/...p=fire&passID=258775[/url]

[inline Chester12Mar14.jpg]
[signature]
Here is some of the SE Idaho Reservoirs circled. None look 100 %ice free, but some are rotting quicker than others and getting close. Circled are Daniels, Devils, Deep, Twin, Oneida, Treasureton, and the Glendale Foster bunch.

[inline Preston.jpg]
[signature]
After spending a few hours in the pools at Lava, I drove back past Chesterfield and over the mountain to Fort Hall. The ice is at least half off. Lots of open water to fish. With this wind and warmer temps it will be gone in a day. Anybody want to go?

I bet Blackfoot is the same. I always hit it at ice off.
[signature]
You drove over Portneuf Presto R and Lone Pine R? I would have thought those roads would still be either snowy or muddy. The section right above Chesterfield always seem to be the worst. How were the roads in there?
[signature]
Yes, I got my truck real dirty. I think I was first through there this spring. I should have stayed my usual (end up on Rich in Blackfoot) way because I got a speeding ticket on the reservation. But the real bad spots that are like you said "right above Chesterfield"; and to that old ranch house, you can drive around. lets go soon as the wind quits.
[signature]
What is the speed limit on the reservation ? I live in Blackfoot and use Rich lane some .
[signature]
curt69, I have never seen a Indian cop over there by Blackfoot. Or from Rich lane all the way to Blackfoot Res. I've been here 7 years. I have always wanted to know (well for 6 years) if; instead of going up Rich Ln. You hit the freeway and drive down to Fort Hall and go into Chesterfield that way, if you could save time. I did drive that way onetime to ice fish, but I didn't track the time. So today I left Chesterfield at 3:30 and was going to time it. But just after I hit the pavement I had a cop coming toward me that said I was going 70 in a 50. I probably was because I go 50 on the dirt. lol Anyway after talking to him (he grew up in Lava) for 20 or thirty minutes I still don't know if it is faster. The thing is that paved road, after it leaves the freeway, goes a long way straight towards Chesterfield. Lets go Curt.
[signature]
Bummer on the ticket. Thanks for the road info.

Blackfoot & PaliSades Res are slower to ice off. Left to R are Chesterfield, approximate area of Blackfoot Res ( a few open holes), and PaliSades Res. 19 Mar 2014

I should have used red to circle instead of blue. Click on the picture to be able to see the circles.

[inline Sat19mar2014.jpg]
[signature]
When the weather gets better we will have to get together and do some fishing .
[signature]
Going by PaliSades a couple times over the last few days. Over the weekend Big Elk was still pretty ice covered and by Wednesday about 100 yards of open water at the upper end. The upper end of the main reservoir looked as if it may have some open water and a few days later there was no mistaking it and much further down than I expected.
For what it's worth, much more water there than last fall but still way down. Been filling all winter but if the snow pack stays in this neighborhood (130ish) by mid April they will empty it to anticipate filling it by run off that way. Warm days will reduce the snow pack content, cold weather and moisture will hold or increase it.
I can not believe may have the possibility of open water by mid April there. Last year one of the other reservoirs mentioned in this thread I launched on April 16. Only part of it was open but enough to putter around on. I am betting I can beat it this year. Keep the sun shining please.
[signature]