Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorite way to fish and why
I thought it would be fun to throw this out there and see what happens.

This is really a tough one for most of us, but a lot depends on what we are good at.

I love jigging for whatever.
I really like trolling
I also like chucking a spoon in a high mountain lake, or on a stream.
I usually don't fly fish, but if they are on drys, wow what fun.

To list a few, ice fishing, trolling, bait, jigging, flyfishing,
bottom bouncing, lure fishing, crankbank, long lining from the bank, long line trolling, down rigging.

I guess jigging is number one for me, then trolling.
[signature]
Forgot the Why..I think I am good at jigging, and it works on almost every fish, especially Brookies and Browns. And it seems to get me the bigger ones. And it takes a special skill set.
[signature]
Dynamite!! Heck, who doesn't like explosions!

Seriously though, even though its not the most common way I fish, I think a fly and bubble on a high mountain lake at dawn or dusk is about as close to heaven as I get. The most common fishing method for me though would be jigs followed closely by fly rod. Any method that involves my kids is golden though.
[signature]
Flyfishing because it is fun and challenging.

Light gear jigging because it is as close to flyfishing as it gets.
I absolutely hate to troll, all other methods are okay. But use jigs 70% of the time.
[signature]
#1. Fly Fishing- There's nothing that can compare to fighting a fish on a fly rod.

#2. Ultralight fishing with 2 lb test and jigs, spinners, lures and small crankbaits.
[signature]
Finesse Fishing with micro circle hook surface lures!
Its neat to see the surface strike for one,and a long battle on light line is always fun..

Check out this Perch[laugh]
[inline "smallest (9).JPG"]
[signature]
Throwing light jigs on spinning tackle. I enjoy it because of the challenge of me creating the action instead of the lure creating the action. It is also extremely productive. (especially with the T-Dudes maribous!)
[signature]
Tailing redfish and stripers busting bait. Hands down the best fishing ever on the fly IMHO
[signature]
Sight fishing on shallow, clear flats with the fly rod. Dry flies cast to rising fish in moving water. Topwater for nearly anything, preferably when I can see the fish first.

It has to be visual. See the fish, cast to the fish, see the fish eat. In the case of tarpon, see the fish leave the water! Its all mechanical after that.
[signature]
Pretty much the same here.
Add to the visual when using a slip indicator at 27' deep and Mids on the end.
Also, fishing dries and watching Carp slurp them in.
Aw heck, I just love fishing! (all done on the fly)
[signature]
i love throwing 3+ oz baits for big toothy monsters
Trolling has been a lot more fun now that i have a better understanding of it and have produced while trolling

Alos throwing big baits for them slime rockets!
[signature]
Been watchin this post and thinking.. My favorite way is with a pole when they are biting! lol. I will list my 4 favorite, but I really cant rank them.

3inch grub and a 1/4oz jig head for small mouth, in the rocks.

Old school: hook, split shot and a worm for yellow perch and/or blugill. with or without a bobber.

heavy line and pole with any bait, for catfish.

Any fishing trip with friends,family, and wife.
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]Dynamite!! Heck, who doesn't like explosions!

h.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.[Tongue]

For me I enjoy fly fishing, jigging, casting. Still working on other methods as I go along and as things change. Why? Cause it's fun and relaxing.
[signature]
I love fishing creeks with a dry/dropper rig. I also love the feel of a nice trout loading up on a streamer on a sinking line. Topwaters for bass is about as exciting as it gets. Watching or feeling the tick in the line as a bass hits a suspending jerkbait has to be up there too. Finally, when a bass crushes a fast reaction type bait like a lipless crank or spinnerbait and you feel your rod load up and double is pretty danged satisfying.
[signature]
Riping bladeless baits. If you don't know what it is... You use a lure like the ripping rap, or a sonar, or a rattle trap, whatever... as long as it is a lipless you're good. Cast it out... let it hit bottom. Rip the bait fairly hard up off the bottom 2ft with the rod and let it flutter back down to the bottom... once it hits bottom or as its hitting bottom... pop it off the bottom again.

Some people think it would be too aggressive but trust me walleyes, bass, catfish.... everything will slam this. Fun way to fish. Went years not knowing how good this method produces! It's pretty fun too.
[signature]
I've been meaning to try that technique for a couple of years since reading about it in In Fisherman, but for some reason I never really got around to trying it. I'm going to for sure give it a shot this year. However, I have done well at times ripping lipless cranks shallow over the tops of weed beds for largemouth. It's kind of the same idea, I just don't let the bait sink and then crank it along, ripping as I go, just barely letting it tic the tops of the weeds. There are a few lipless banks that don't work as well for it though. I like the Sebile Flatt Shad, Rapala Rippin Rap, and the Lucky Craft LV100s and RTOs best for it. They all have a nice shimmy on the fall.
[signature]
How do u keep the clutter-weeds, moss etc off the lure? Most. Lures like this have treble hooks right? I've always thought a fish woudnt hit the lure once it picks up clutter. Do you think the fish would still hit a lure if it was coverd in a little moss? Always wondered. I guess I'm a little OCD when I think about presentation.
[signature]
Not so sure about bass, but the trout I know won't touch a lure, jig or fly that has any moss or vegitation on it.
[signature]
Kicking back under a shady tree while snoozing in my favorite fishing chair. A fishing pole is optional. [Wink]
[signature]