Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mohave Report 3/10 to 3/13
[size 3]Fished Mohave from Monday afternoon 3/10 to Thursday 3/13. Had a variety of weather conditions but generally windy. [/size] Most places had water clarity to 20 ft.

[size 3]Tuesday was colder and winds to 30 mph out of the NW. Fished all Tuesday in long pants and a pile sweater. Stayed in the coves all day[/size]

[size 3]Wednesday it was nukin” out of the NE and I almost did not launch. Wednesday we defended against the wind, drift fished and tried to stay on lee shores as much as possible. I did cruise Bass Cove and Box Cove on Wednesday tossing a jerkbait for zero success. [/size]

[size 3]Thursday morning started cloudy and did not burn off till about 2:00 PM. Winds on Thursday were much lighter. There was one other bass boat there on Tuesday and Wednesday ...otherwise the parking launch area was deserted. Morning water temps at 57°. Warmed up to 58 by Thursday afternoon.[/size]

[size 3]The bite was neutral on Monday; I got bit on drop shot in 15 ft. Tuesday one fish on a jerkbait and 2 later on a dropshot. Tuesday the bass were a little more aggressive. Wednesday the bite got a bit more aggressive. I did not fish crankbaits much, though I expect that might have been good on Tuesday and Wednesday; doing so would have backseated my partner too much. There was no crank bite Monday. [/size]

[size 3]Usually I don't ...but this trip I had a lot of tackle problems...breaking off and I lost several on a weightless rig when I couldn't get the hook into them. New line fixed the breaking off problem and maybe I solved the hooking problem...we'll see. The wind provided plenty of opportunities for line twist and so forth requiring constant vigilance and generous doping with line conditioner.[/size]

[size 3]The smallies were starting to nest but not locked on and would peck the plastic but not commit. I believe they had moved shallow the previous week and then been driven back deeper by cooler temps. We found what looked like several started but not finished nests.[/size]

[size 3]We fished painted Canyon Cove, Klondike Cove, Arizona Bay, Copper Mountain Cove, the main shoreline from there towards Sand Cove. [/size]

[size 3]Thursday I went into Rockefeller Cove in the late afternoon and found some finished beds and prespawn bass moving up. [/size]

[size 3]Most fish were from 15 to 20 feet till Thursday afternoon when I found smallies in Rockefeller Cove moving up and got bit in the trees and brush in water from 7 to 3 ft. All the fish were located near chunk rock and pea gravel as you might expect[/size]

[size 3]There is a tournament today (Saturday) and about 18 rigs showed up on Thursday for practice. [/size]
[signature]
Pondered heading down there since it has been almost 2 years since the last time I launched out of Cottonwood. Great report. Good to know where the lake is at.

I hit Mead on Friday the 14th solo since Madi was in school. Almost all the same up there as Mohave. Water temp at sunrise was 55 at Echo. Water clarity certainly wasn't what I am use to. Maybe the wind tore it up some from the previous week. Several times I was over structure in 13-16 feet of water and I couldn't visually see the structure. The fish haven't moved up at all anywhere. Zero indications of even a pre-emptive SMB bed anywhere. I hit a ton of spots and just couldn't find a thing. I got one smallie on a Jerk Bait right there in Echo Marina in 30 feet of water at sunrise and then a 4lb LMB and a 3lb SMB later on in the morning on Strike King 6XD cranks fishing in 20-25 feet of water. I eventually ran into a huge school of Stripers so quickly bagged enough for dinner on 6XD and 10XD cranks then back to chasing the bass with zero luck. I worked my tail off for very little in the landing net. Only lost one fish all day and it was on a 1-3/16oz deep dweller spinnerbait. The fish are still deep and hard to find... Tossing those big azz baits all day sure can work one! I was beat the next day and got very little done around the house...
[signature]
I figured 39 miles one way from my place to Calville and 66 miles to Cottonwood. So if I am going to Mohave I'd prefer to stay at least 2 days. We had or choice of campsites till Wednesday then things began to fill up.

I will say bring everything with you. The Cottonwood store prices are now very high compared to past years...ice at $5 for a 10# bag...really?

One thing about Mohave versus Mead is on Mohave timing, casting accuracy and quiet presentation are required or you spook the bass. And....Lots more brush to get hung up in.

My partner is not always the most accurate caster and sometimes she is not in synchronization about where the Skeeter might be moving to.... So, for instance, we will have scenes where I am positioning the Skeeter so she can cast into that shadow by a mesquite and she is throwing out back of the boat and not all ready to take advantage of the boat position.

The weed beds at Mohave are about 4 to 6" high at the moment. I was able to fish an open hooked drop shot the whole trip. Green Weenie or Purple weenie

A couple less windy days and a warming trend and I would expect Mohave should be on an excellent senko bite in the shallows.
[signature]
Both are long drives for me. 130 round trip to Echo Marina and 180 round trip to Cottonwood. I love living in the NW end of town due to it being so quiet and simple up there but it sure adds the miles when one wants to fish the local lakes... I'd have to drive a whole lot further to make it worthy of packing a tent and all the goodies to stay overnight... I just deal with the early departures and getting home late. Madi sleeps both ways so it doesn't hit my fishing partner too much. lol I'm use to it anyways. My normal go to work alarm time is 2:30am so getting up at 3-4am to go fishing is "almost" sleeping in.
[signature]
wolfs4ever,

I understand. You are a little north of me. Lake Mead and Torrey Pines. And the skeeter is parked over by Flamingo and Eastern at my partner's house.

As you can see, a Futon, a Primus propane stove, an Igloo Cooler and I am set to travel.
[signature]
I'm just about as far north as one can get from you (10 miles). Just shy of the Clark County Shooting Complex.

The 5 1/2 foot bed on my truck sure would be tough to sleep in. Tailgate down for sure. I don't mind packing the tent and all the stuff needed if it is worth the time involved. It is almost too warm out already for tent camping for me. Why we head to Utah and the mountains during the summer months for camping and fishing opportunities. Get away from the heat!

That small bed also fills reallllly fast when one goes camping...

[Image: Vegas2Panguitch2Minersville2Vegas%20June%202013_005.jpg]

[Image: PanguitchLake%2023-26June2013_014.jpg]
[signature]