Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flyfishig beginner
I wanted to get into fly fishing. I've tried it only a couple times. Would a 40 dollar starter combo be ok for a beginner? Or should a guy put a little more money in for something in between cheap and expensive? I've used cheap to a little more expensive with my regular fishing equipment and didn't really notice to much differance. Is it one of those you get what you pay for type things? Or would it not make a whole lot of differance with a flyfishing setup? Any info would be apreciated!
[signature]
You will get a whole lot of opinions on this question, my feeling is that you can always start cheap but if you stick with it you will upgrade at some point, can you catch fish with cheap stuff, absolutely, I would suggest maybe some medium prices gear that is nice to fish with and should last you quite awhile if you keep at it.

There are some very nice rods in the $100 range and some nice reels in the $80-$100 that would be very suitable, that is the thing with flyfishing or any fishing is that you can make it cheap or very expensive, I think you may get more enjoyment if you start with some decent gear. Just my .02
[signature]
I started with a $60 combo. Didn't want to spend a lot if wasn't good at it or didn't like it. Caught lots of fish on the $60 outfit. Reel and line are crap but they work (line is first thing I would upgrade). I still have and use the $60 rod from time to time and it's fine -- just not as much fun as the more expensive ones.

Two months later I was "hooked" on fly fishing and now my line costs more than the combo. I still have fond memories of catching my first trout on a fly with that outfit. However, I fully agree with others that spending 2-3 times more will get you much improved gear and make it a lot easier (and more fun) to learn.

Come to the Wasatch Fly Tying show next week to check out some options and take a free beginners class.
[signature]
I think there is a big difference between cheap and a hundred dollar setup. From there up there is a difference but not one you would appreciate as much as a beginner. I started with a Cabelas 3 forks rod and an Okuma reel with 232 line and it didn't cost too much and I still like and fish with that rod a bunch. I have bought Ross reels and $300 rods and they are nice and I won't give them away, but I have as much fun with my 3 forks set up. I had a cheap setup as a youth and trying it now, its no wonder it was hard to learn to cast. Get a good rod and line and you will love it. Good luck. J
[signature]
My current fly rod is a $17 Eagle Claw Wal*Mart special. It's pretty funny to put a good Ross reel on it, but that's my current option.

It's pretty awful, but it can throw the line around well enough to get the job done. I've even caught some pretty nice fish on it.

Really, with fly fishing, the fish only care about the bug you're throwing them, and where/how you place it. They don't care what kind of gear you use to get it to them.

(I do have 2 much better rods that should be fixed soon enough. I miss them greatly.)

I say learn on cheap stuff, then upgrade once you really get into it. That way, you'll really notice the difference between cheap and spendy.
[signature]
I've got two $12 Wally World fly rods that I let non-fly-fishing friends use when we hit Strawberry or Mirror lake (if they break it or drop it, we'll still be friends).

It's fun to cast and then switch to a Helios. One time I grabbed it by mistake and had to fish with it all day. Still had a blast.

I love "nice" gear, but going back to a K-Mart special wouldn't keep me off the water.
[signature]
A good caster can cast with a broom stick, however I believe it is easier to learn using a little better rod. I recommend the Reddington combos in either two or four piece. They range from $100-$170 for line, reel, and rod.

Windriver
[signature]
You don't need to spend a ton. But, keep in mind, some of the cheaper gear out there is crap.
A good caster can cast a broom stick, but not well. Not in the sense of practical fly fishing.
Two example: the Eagle Claw (Glass/graphite) hinges terrible in the joint. Something a new comer would not notice, but it will hold you back on the learning. A St. Croix Rio Santos or something like that. It is a Broom Stick. Can cast but control or distance requires way too much energy. For ME the Reddington TC is too clubby. I watched a newbie client struggle with that one.
Like KAnderson, I have a W.W.Griggs combo Vintage (also glass/graphite) for $69. rod reel. I gave the reel away but still use the heck out of that rod. I have a Grey's G I paid $39 for, awesome rod.
Cheaper rods will have oversized guides which I personally love in the winter.
Eagle Claw has terrible huge missed matched guides. I have caught a bunch of fish on one, but not a casting rod and not a only rod, rod.
Allen Fly Fishing has a Compass for $99. I love that rod (they will be at the Expo next weekend)

REEL, just a place to hold your line, and for trout, need not break the bank. Drag is nice but not necessary.
You can find reels for under $5o. that will work fabulously.

Spend a little on line. That is what makes or breaks casting. You can cast a good line with broom stick, but a crappy, line will hold memory, be still and hard to cast with an expensive rod.
Cortland makes some in expensive line. I have never used Allen Fly Fishing line but hear it is good.

As for the Walmart rod, if it is easy for you to cast and you don't struggle trying to get line out, I say go for it. I think many people quit on Fly Fishing because of gear failure not because it is difficult. But it can be difficult because of gear failure.
[signature]
I started my GF with an Allen Compass rod paired with their Trout 2 reel and Compass line and she has made big leaps and bounds in the little time she has been fly fishing. Hell I use that setup sometimes when she's not with me. Those rods are easy to cast and inexpensive. The reels are nice and the line is decent for the price. I think its one of the best beginner setups out there. But that's just my opinion.
[signature]
Don't get any cheap rods from cabelas. They break so easily. Had a 20" bow on a 8 wt cabelas fly rod combo an the tip broke off out of blue.

Right now I got my self a Cross water combo $120 from sportsmens. The reel is okay but if I were you just buy the rod and a different reel and line.

For a beginner I'd would use Redington cross water.

I'm in love with my 5wt Cross water while floating line or sinking line it's just great. A 5wt cross water is strong enough for big carps and suckers with out breaking the tip.
[signature]
If you don't know if you will stay with fly fishing. The Cheap Cabelas combo's are a great way to go.
They are much better than the Walmart stuff.
I have 3 of the Cabelas combos and all of them are well worth the money. Some of my Cabelas rods are over 12 years old.
Here is a great starter set up.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Fly-...t373644180
You would want to upgrade the line sometime in the future, after you have mastered the cast.
Don't use an expensive line to learn with. You will destroy it learning to cast.
Use utube to help you learn the basics and then go fishing with someone that knows what they are doing to refine your technique.
[signature]
I've broke about 4 of those combos returned/ exchange before just telling them I was store credit to buy something else.

Had a 20" bow on a 8wt fly rod combo and the tip snapped out of the blue. I hate those rods big time. Cross water is better then that junk [laugh].
[signature]
I am not the flyfisherman some of the other posters are, but......

Walmart sells a pretty nice looking kinda red- brown colored graphite rod that is surprisingly good , so much so that I now own their 6-7 wt and 3-4 wt. and have been very happy with them. They are responsive, guides line up, they taper well and don't hinge. I use the lighter one for panfish all the time.

BUT everybody that mentioned good line is absolutely right. Cheap line is heavier and thicker than needed, picks up dirt and grit, keeps way too much memory and won't lay out nnicely in front of you. Same goes for cheap leaders and tippet.

Other than that, buy good flies. The best flyfishermen I know really understand depth, current, how rivers lie and move, and what fish do and eat.
[signature]
The trick FFL is to use lighter tippet than the rod weight. The leader/tippet SHOULD break before the rod.
I have been using the Blue Cabela's 8 wt for over a year now and landed 100's of 27" and larger Carp on it. And I am not that gentle with it.
NOTHING wrong with Cabelas rods. I had the Stowaway I gave to a nephew, and I have a couple Glass. Love them.
[signature]
Not sure how you have broken 4 rods, and an 8 wt. breaking on a 20" Bow' is BS!!
[signature]
What a drag, or lack there of. Fish don't break rods, fisherman do! Finesse, working the reel and the rod, not just hook and haul. ( sorry Remo, I'm not telling you this)

Nobody has suggested used gear. You'll need more than a rod. Check KSL classifieds, likely find someone who's given up the sport for lent. Might find waders and a box of flies.

I like the reels where you can get a spare spool. Rig different lines, if you wanna swap floating, vs sinking say.

There is a whole flyfishing board. Might get more better answers there. Over here some wise ass master of bait might suggest you tip your fly with some crawler, or use marshmallows and powerbait as a strike Iindicator!
http://youtu.be/XmBVqnw54CY

Bonefish on a Cabelas Stowaway [Wink]
[signature]
Sure but you probable broke two 12 wt fly rods on that same bonefish before landing it on the stowaway[laugh].
[signature]
Now, I will say that rod finally did break after a few years...in Belize by the way, was out in the boat and stupidly I picked it up about a foot from the tip and the reel and rod weight did break it, but it gave me a few good years of service.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]What a drag, or lack there of. Fish don't break rods, fisherman do! Finesse, working the reel and the rod, not just hook and haul. ( sorry Remo, I'm not telling you this)

Nobody has suggested used gear. You'll need more than a rod. Check KSL classifieds, likely find someone who's given up the sport for lent. Might find waders and a box of flies.

I like the reels where you can get a spare spool. Rig different lines, if you wanna swap floating, vs sinking say.

There is a whole flyfishing board. Might get more better answers there. Over here some wise ass master of bait might suggest you tip your fly with some crawler, or use marshmallows and powerbait as a strike Iindicator![/quote]

BUT, if you get a budget reel, there is no swapping anything. I much prefer the whole reel, good excuse to buy another rod.[Smile]
[signature]