Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Launch 3-24-14
[#0000FF]I woke up early this morning and checked weather for several potential fishing holes...for the next few days. Looked like today might be the best, weatherwise. And Lincoln Beach got the nod over a couple of other options.

Cruised up to the ramp about 6:30 am. Figured I'd launch in the dark and get around to the walleye condos by daybreak. Figgered wrong. First Jweymouth drives up with his boat...and wants to talk, talk, talk. Got him launched and was finalizing my own launch when UtWalleye drives up with his boat. More yammering. But at least I beat him at the launch ramp...even if he did pass me in the channel going out. He's just lucky I was observing the wakeless speed rule.

Air temp 32 and water temp 46 at launch...warming to 48 at noon...49 inside the channel. Light southerly breeze...as promised. So far, so good. Cranked up the "big motor" (40# electric) and whimpered off to do some fishing.

Saw some fishy marks about halfway to my intended starting spot so I stopped to make a few casts. Got a small white bass then no more hits.

Continued to my spots. Shoulda stood in bed. Nada, zip, zip. No hits, no runs, no fishies. Went through a buncha stuff...plastics, cranks, bait under a bobber, etc. No love.

Moved out into deeper water...continuing to throw a tandem plastic rig. FINALLY...a munch. Felt like a walleye too. And it was. I was already tasting those wunnerful fillets on my plate when the silly fish released my jig unharmed...only about 3 feet from the net. Man, those walleyes are good at that. This one was about 19 to 20 inches...ideal eater size. WAS.

After a few more minutes of fruitless (fishless) casting I made a change in game plans. I put out a small whole white bass on a bait rig and started pitching a tandem small tube jig setup. Figgered I might be able to at least get a few more white bass. Again, I figgered wrong. I got a tap, set the hook and that "white bass" had some shoulders. Not exactly a world class battle but definitely bent my stick and stretched my string...on my light gear. Turned out to be a fat mama walleye...26 inches long and 8.3 #. I woulda normally released her to take care of her baby business but I had already early-released my only other shot at a walleye dinner...and Utah Lake is not hurtin' for big spawning females. So I invited her home.

A few minutes later, after getting the phat female to pose for a couple of pics and crawl in my basket, I noticed the line on my bait rig was slowly spooling off the open bail. I had not seen the hit and wondered if I might be snagged. But when I carefully picked up the rod and pulled the line tight there was some "life" on the end. I flipped the bail and waited for the fish to pull the line tight. Then I sunk the hook home and got to rassle in a 22 inch kitty. Just right to finish up the collection of cat fillets I have been saving for the smoker.

That was the cue for the tin boat tuna fleet to all come around the corner of the boat channel and aim for the silly guy in the float tube. About a half dozen assorted craft whined by me on either side...some almost within reach of a long rod. They were all glaring at me like I was an obstacle to their fishing or something. They all continued down off the orchards...and most of them did not stay put...a lot of moving around. Not a good sign...fishingwise.

The ripples of their passing had hardly died down when the previously soft southerly breeze turned around and started blowing a bit harder...from the north. Typically, that usually shuts of the fishing, at least for me. Maybe it is just a superstition but I have lost count of the trips during which I was catching fish and then went blank after the wind started blowing from the north.

Still, I stuck it out...or fished it out...for about another hour and a half...dragging baits and pitching plastics. Nary another inquiry. I coulda (shoulda) gone home after my catfish.

As I finished loading up my gear in the car I noticed some activity around the fish cleaning station. I thought "Oh goody, they are going to get it open." Again, I figgered wrong. Turns out they are removing the fish cleaning station all together. Instead they will be building a small fast food stand. Now we will be able to buy burgers but the folks who run it will probably not fillet our fish.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat nice outing, glad you got some good eats. Sounds like a successful trip. Sure sounds like more fun than work. Spring fever is setting in and I sure would like to be outside playing. Maybe Friday. Thanks for the report. J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. That might be my only outing this week. Between gottadoos and weather oogies it just ain't lookin' like I'll get to do more.

But today was fun...at times. Gonna put away half of that toothy critter tonight...and the t'other half tomorrow.

Oh yeah, gotta thaw out those other kitty fillets and put them together with the one I got today...in the smoker. Want me to PM a piece to ya?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Now that would be great if that PM would work. I hear they have a 3D printer that will make food now. AKA food replicator, so it might not be too long and I'll be able to take you up on that. I'm thinking with an 8 lb eye you will be eating really well tonight, how are you planning on fixing this half? If I got one that big I think I could fix some real good fish tacos.
I may have to try sneaking out tonight when I get home, dang it I had other things I needed to do but since I didn't play Saturday I still have the addiction driving me. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the motivation. Later J
[signature]
Hey Pat, nice report. That walleye has not missed many meals. I would think by the way those guys in the boat were looking at you they thought they had seen your picture in the post office or on Americas most wanted. I think you get the same kind of looks in a float tube by boaters as my wife and I use to get by horseback riders when we were backpacking. They think why in the world would anybody want to do that? It sounds like the water is still just a little cold for the fish to get too excited. Sounds like you had a good day on the water.
[signature]
Awsome fish! I still haven't broke the 12" limit on the only 2 walleye I've caught in my entire life. Great report, post also! 12" barrier I mean. I've never caught a walleye anytime targeting them at willard and ut lake. I shore fish thouigh. The only 2 walleye I've ever caught in my life were taken from the jordan river fishing for cats. 1 caught on worm, the other caught on chicken liver in 2 differant parts of the river on 2 differant trips. Id love to fillet an 8 pounder
[signature]
Good weather got me out there today too for the first time this year. Nice, but fishless. Got there at a sensible hour, 8:30-ish and was outa there by noon. Tried a small wb around the Bengi slough area and had only a couple of light grab and runs. Motored down by the orchards and tried to throw away a few curly tails -- nothing. Saw a few boaters but did not see your floating Cabelas tube??

Saw all the activity at the fish station and, like you, figger'd they were getting it ready for the fish cleaning season. You were just joshin' about the "fast food stand"?? Surely there is not enough traffic there to justify a grub stand?? Say it ain't so. Can a charge to launch be next?

Bring on the 60 degree water temps so the cats will become a little hungrier and more romantic.

As usual, nice report.

BLK
[signature]
Pat did u happen to look in there stomach to see what Thayer eating this year?
[signature]
"I'm thinking with an 8 lb eye you will be eating really well tonight, how are you planning on fixing this half?"

[#0000FF]I have a variety of ways I fix walleye...depending on the size and thickness of the fillets. Tonight I took one whole fillet and cut it into chunks. Then I sauteed it in garlic butter...seasoning with salt and seasoned pepper after cooking...and with a bit of lemon. Just like halibut. Large firm flakes. And soaked up the pan drippins with some fresh rolls. Now I'll lay around and listen to my arteries harden all night.

I also like to "soup bake" the large thick fillets. Put them in a deep glass baking dish and cover with cream of onion and/or cream of mushroom soup. Then bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour...until the fillets are flaky.

Otherwise, you can just slice the thick fillets into mini steaks...julienne style...and then grill or fry to make the fixins for tacos...or whatever. It's all good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"It sounds like the water is still just a little cold for the fish to get too excited."

[#0000FF]It has been an unusual year on most waters. Utah Lake has stayed cooler...longer...than is customary. A few walleyes are spawning sporadically but some are still in prespawn feeding mode. I suspected as much, since several guys have reported catching large females on lures during the past week. Once they begin spawning it is rare to catch feeding females.

The fish I kept today did have two large well developed egg skeins...but they were still tight and the eggs were a ways from being ready to squirt. I suspect we can still catch a few out in deeper water for a while yet...with the major part of the spawn happening around the full moon next month.

Some of those guys in the boats down there recognize me...for better or for worser. When they see me catch fish they treat me like the other boaters and move in up close and personal. But I have been a bit "vocal" about that...when they start bouncing heavy jigs off my float tube. So some of them like me and others treat me like a wacky wallie angler. Overall, I am polite and cordial and will answer questions if they ask politely. But some don't bother with politeness. They just move right in like they own the lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"Saw all the activity at the fish station and, like you, figger'd they were getting it ready for the fish cleaning season. You were just joshin' about the "fast food stand"?? Surely there is not enough traffic there to justify a grub stand?? Say it ain't so. Can a charge to launch be next?"

[#0000FF]I gotta sympathize with the rangers. For the last three years that cleaning station has been inoperable more than functional. People fill the disposal full of rocks and bottles...or pile up a bunch of big catfish heads in it before turning on the motor. FREEZEUP. They finally got fed up with the time and expense to try to keep it operational.

I talked with the guys working on the project. When I looked at it this morning, before going out, it was still without water hookups, etc. Then, when I got back in I saw all the hoopla and thought like you did. Oh goody. But when I asked that's what they told me. There is a "concessionaire" who will be running the food thing.

Also, as an item of general interest to anybody else considering going down there, the nice restrooms are still locked for the season. Will probably open around the first of April...after the risk of frozen water pipes. They also have a new campground host who will be showing up about that time.

No worries at present for having to pay fees. That park is operated by Utah County and they have been good about keeping their parks up nice without having to ding the visitors. But just don't get caught with an open container of alcoholic beverages. Barney Fife gets bug-eyed on that one.

I got two cats out of Benji Slough last week...but way out in 5.5 feet of water...both on baby white bass. Couldn't get bit on chub minnows.

Most of the time I was hanging in close to shore between the first and third spring...around Lincoln Point. I didn't have enough Maverik burritos this morning to power me down as far as the orchards. But that used to be a fave area...until it was taken over by the tuna fleet.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote HYDROFISH]Pat did u happen to look in there stomach to see what Thayer eating this year?[/quote]

[#0000FF]There was no recent food visible in the one I kept today. But I did have a report from last week of two large fish both with whole medium sized white bass in their innards...and one smaller one with a small bullhead catfish.

I am always amazed when I catch those larger fish on the small jigs I fish for white bass. I get several every year like that. But I also do well on big plugs and big plastics when I find active fish at the right time. Those walleyes are like big girls at the dance. They want to lead and you've got to let them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sorry for taking 10 minutes of your of your personal time! I will not be bothering you again if I see you.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote HYDROFISH]Pat did u happen to look in there stomach to see what Thayer eating this year?[/quote]

[#0000FF] Those walleyes are like big girls at the dance. They want to lead and you've got to let them.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Great Report TD! I always enjoy reading them. I have to say this quote gets my vote for quote of the year!
[signature]
PAT I APOLIGISE FOR THE INTRUSION..iT SEEMS LIKE EVERY YEAR THE UNWRITTEN RULES GET BROKEN MORE AND MORE.. THOSE OF US THAT HAVE BOATS ARE MORE MOBILE YOU NEED NOT BOTHER THE GUYS IN THE TUBES. DONT CARE WHO IT IS HE WANTS HIS SPACE AND WHEN YOU CAN COUNT THE RIVETS ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT...THATS A LITTLE TO CLOSE GIVE THE MAN SOME SPACE HES A GREAT ANGLER AND HE DOES ALL HE CAN TO TELL ALL BUT IF YOU KEEP DRIVING OVER HIM ...HE MIGHT SOON CLOSE UP SORRY PAT JUST MY VIEW,,BEEN IN A TUBE WITH AS,;,P,.B,BMMB BOATERS NEAR BY ITS NOT FUN
[signature]
Congrats on a great trophy.
[signature]
I think he was kidding Jay...
[signature]
Pat that sounds delicious, hope it was as good as it sounded. Ended up having other priorities that needed my attention when I got home so I didn't make it out tonight. Oh well hopefully it won't be too windy tomorrow and maybe I'll try it then. Thanks for the great prep ideas. Later J
[signature]
Thanks for your thought. After reading his comments, I was upset. I was not trying to pick his brain or keep him from getting ready to launch. I was only trying to be friendly, and you know, by reading all of his posts, that Pat is the one that has the gift of gab. He was trying to be cordial, and he contributed to the conversation as much as I did. I think he was upset that someone else got up early to fish and disrupted his routine(again his comment about UtWalleye).
I have been fishing for walleye for over 55 yrs. and I do not like to upset anyone.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, don't take me too seriously. I sure don't. It was good to meet you and I enjoyed our chat. And I don't begrudge a minute of it. Hope to see you again.

How did you do with the fishies?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]