Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where steelhead break 15 lb test line like it was 5 lb test.
I've been fishing the southfork of the Clearwater a lot the last 5 weeks. Following the fish up from kooskia. I've been doing really well as long as I can pin point where the fish are holding. Well the last two weeks the fish have been piled up in the rapids between the two grades just outside of Grangeville. I normally steelhead fish with 10 lb test pretty exclusively. After my first two hookups in those rapids I knew I was out classed. It brought back memories of the first time I headed to challis to fish for chinook with 15 lb test line. I got smoked pretty bad.

The next day I returned to the rapids outside Grangeville with 15 lb test........ Still getting smoked for the most part. I've been able to hold on to a few fish but the number of hook ups I've had is absolutely unreal. Once those fish get downstream on you the weight of the water on them is brutal but I will say its a hoot fighting those big boys in heavy water. I feel like I've been in a car wreck Just from chasing fish up and down the boulders on the bank.
[signature]
We need a "Like" button! [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
I agree--- Like!!

That is some heavy looking water behind you. It is tough to keep an average sized trout on in water like that, much less a nice steelhead. Congrats on a well earned fish.
[signature]
Chrome,
Now that sounds like fun! Congrats on figuring it all out. Mike
[signature]
One word......NANOFIL!
[signature]