Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question on Jakes spin a lures
I usually use Panther Martins, but I did get a few Jakes recently to try them out. I was curious if you have to have a snap swivel to fish them, I remember reading that somewhere but can't find too much info on that. Any advice?
[signature]
I would. The wobbling would weaken knot line. The action would be fine without a swivel, but I think line wear could be a problem.
[signature]
I always swivel mine. The gold's are one of my favorites for trout. I've caught a number of Bass on the white ones.
[signature]
I've had them for a number of years and didn't really catch much the first time I used them so I didn't go back to them for a long time until last fall and for some unknown reason I put one on at Hyrum and casted them at what I thought was spawning browns... They went crazy for them, we ended up catching 47 browns and 6 bows that day and 90% + were on the Jakes... I had just tied it directly to my proline and it worked great, but I usually would have used a swivel... Didn't notice any wierd twisting of the line so I think they are okay to use without a swivel.. Later J
[signature]
I fish Jakes spin a lure a little for trout and have had good luck in salt water for sea trout and mackerel with them. I use them with and without a swivel. I maybe use them a handful of times a year but they seem to perform equally well tied either way. Can't recall any problems with twisted line without the snap swivel. The silver ones seem to work a lot better than gold for me.
[signature]
Swivel for sure using Mono or F-carbon or you'll weaken the line. Make sure to stock up before summer on the gold or you'll have trouble finding them.
[signature]
A good ball bearing swivel, size 0, is essential with a Jakes. One of the best lures in the Uinta's. Jake also has another bait called the Stream a lure, a spinner type bait. Gold is the preferred color, but I would recommend a ratio of 3gold to 1silver. South Bend Super Duper is a similar bait, smaller in more colors.
Good lures!

I've used them with and without a snap swivel and they work great both ways.

The real benefit of using a snap swivel is the added ability to change lures quickly.
[signature]
That sharp-edged hole in the Jakes would at least require a split ring, if not a snap. That is unless you're using 8lb. or bigger cable. Can't see how light line could hold without a split-ring or swivel or snap?
[signature]
Every time I have tied a Jakes directly to my line, I've left it there in the lake.
[signature]
I love trolling with a Jake at strawberry why don't you try it with and without a swivel. I will bet it out fishes the Panther Martins
The only thing bad about the Jake spin a lure is I catch smaller fish using it.
[signature]
Exactly, he should try it both ways and see if it makes a difference with the type of fishing he uses it for. I think most of us know you're "supposed to" use a swivel but like many things in fishing doing what you're "supposed to" doesn't always make a difference. That said as pointed out I prefer a swivel because of ease of changing lures not because I catch less fish or lose lures without one. I use them shore fishing and from a kayak in both fresh and salt water. I guess I'm not "supposed to" use them in salt water either but nobody told the fish that apparently as they are very productive for certain tasty species when dinner time rolls around.
[signature]