Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishlake
Made one last trip to FL on Saturday morning. Found 20" of ice with no problems on or off the edges. Fishing was steady for rainbows with a couple splake mixed in. Fished in 62'. Bows were near the surface. Splake were on the bottom - as usual. In 20' you could catch all the perch you could stand. When I got on the ice at 7:45, I was the only one I could see on the lake (from the south end). When I left, one soul had come out near me. I drove up the shore to the north end and saw a few groups (maybe 6 groups) of fishermen scattered from the south to the very north end. The weather was nice with very little wind.
[signature]
Nice. It's kinda fun to have FL all to yourself late in the season. I've been out there in shorts and a t-shirt before (before the breeze picked up). Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how the edges have been holding up as I'm hoping to to hit it one more time (maybe Saturday).

I've had a hard time getting into the splake in recent years. I guess I need to send one of my two jigs deep since you mention they're on the bottom. I used to catch them suspended just like the rainbows. Not sure what's changed. I think they've lowered the # that they stock into there. ??

Once again, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Wished I had the money to head back there for another trip. Just an amazing lake for ice fishing. For sure I need to try soft water someday.
[signature]
I think you are right about the splake. I looked at the Division stocking reports. It looks like they stocked some in 2011, none in 2012 and some in 2013 - all 3" fingerlings. Lots more rainbows were stocked and all stocked bigger around 8". I am not sure how fast splake grow but I have caught less this year than last and I generally target splake at FL.
[signature]
I expect the ice will still be good for a few more weeks so there is still a little time before the soft water if you get the chance.
[signature]
[quote kniephof] Not sure what's changed. I think they've lowered the # that they stock into there. ??
[/quote]

Mike, in the Fish Lake management plan, the DWR explained that they found that cutting the splake stocking quota increased the growth rate, so they are doing a decreased quota from what we were used to for the foreseeable future. (so no more mind boggling splake counts, like the "old days" in the near term)

Since splake are so popular now as both a sport fish and especially as outstanding table fare, I would hope the division would see fit to bump the quota back up a little more in the future.
[signature]
In reply to several comments:

Sure enough, the stocking reports show lower numbers for splake over the last several season. I guess it's part of a plan as doggone has heard from the DWR. Hopefully it'll work as they're hoping.

If I head down there Saturday (fingers crossed) I'll report back on ice conditions. Although it seems most are done ice fishing down there for the season.
[signature]