Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another blow to the pebble mine Bristol Bay
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...pulls-out/
Never fished Bristol Bay but hope to one day. Even if I never do hope this mine idea is totally defeated. Just too valuable of a fishery to jeopardize with the proposed mine.
[signature]
I was directly or indirectly involved with the mining industry almost all my working life. I saw a massive and good change take place in the environmental awareness of mining companies in that time. All too often now mining gets a bad rap that was earned by the past. The world is full of environmental disasters left by past mining activities so the reputation comes rightly.

One thought to consider before flat out banning mining. All we humans have to sustain us is what Almighty God put here on this Earth. ULTIMATELY WE WILL HAVE TO USE IT ALL. We are learning to use it responsibly and must continue to progress in this direction. I haven't taken time to study the Pebble mine, its location or anything so don't want to argue for or against it but will say that ultimately the mine will most likely happen. Permitting restraints will be put into place that will protect the fishery and punishment for violations will be made so extremely costly that the mine will have to comply 100% or face ruin. That will, I submit, become the wave of the future for mining and it will be a good thing. In the meantime we humans need to get serious about global warming and our contributions to it or all the rest will be moot.
[signature]
[quote GEEZER]In the meantime we humans need to get serious about global warming and our contributions to it or all the rest will be moot.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I'm very Sad to see that you're buying into all that global warming bovine excrement Geezer. I really thought you were more enlightened than that. However, I couldn't agree more with your thoughts and views on the future of the mining industry. After all, as Red Green would say, we're all in this together.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Bovine excrement my butt! Wake up Bob. What are hydrocarbon fuels anyway if they aren't millions of years of stored sunlight? Plants have always used the energy of sunlight to propel photosynthesis in effect converting sunlight energy into carbon by breaking carbon dioxide into carbon and oxygen with the oxygen being respirated back into the atmosphere and the carbon forming the plant fiber etc. Photosynthesis is an endothermic process. Uncounted millions of years of this "stored sunlight" are being used in exothermic reactions every day to fuel our powerplants, automobiles etc. - ad infinitum. Petroleum and natural gas are no different albeit cleaner burning than coal. Some thinker much smarter than I advanced the theory of conservation of energy which states "energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed in form - chemical, kinetic, thermal, etc. That is still largely true but now we do have nuclear and thermonuclear power which does create energy from matter. Nuclear energy is a mere drop in the bucket compared to fossil fuels but every nuclear plant has to heat up thousands of tons water each year to be kept from overheating. That heat has to go somewhere. Enough on that, back to hydrocarbon fuels. Hydrocarbon fuels are all used to create heat by burning. In every case, more heat energy is generated than is used to provide mechanical or electrical power and this wasted energy is channeled into the environment as what? Heat. Even the power that is converted to mechanical, electrical, chemical or whatever still ultimately winds up as excess energy in our environment. Add to these facts the insulating effect of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere and we're all but screwed if we don't wake up.
[signature]
[quote GEEZER]Bovine excrement my butt! Wake up Bob.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm wide awake and it's STILL bovine excrement of the highest odor. Study after study after study after study after study, you get the picture, has shown that global warming is nothing more than a figment of algores imagination. And now, apparently, it's a figment of yours as well. So be it! You're entitled to your beliefs no matter how ill founded they are, [Wink]. I ain't buying any of it no matter how many times you try to make me think otherwise.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child and to be taught.
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep and to be awakened.
He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool and is to be avoided.

Sumbuddey iz in bad needin uv gittin hiz hed outten hiz butt an hit aint me! Now, kinda like Forrest Gump sez, "That's all I have to say about that."
[signature]
Geezer I'm not anti mining but Bristol Bay creates tens of thousands of jobs both within the fish industry but also throughout the country where those billions of dollars of salmon end up ever year. Just 2 months ago I invested quite a bit in Ucore who is planning to mine rare earth elements on Prince Of Wales Island in Alaska. Can't let China control that market for those metals crucial for the high tech industry and defense . But let me eat my sockeye salmon from Bristol Bay (I'm guessing I eat 20 lbs of year from there by myself) and I'll buy a smaller house and use less copper wire. I'll continue to forgo any purchases of gold. Ultimately that fishery is worth more to humans than it's metals is my opinion. Any ways the stakes are too high and anyone trying to mine will pay too high of price given the groundswell against this mine. It aint going to happen/ game over for Pebble Mine.
[signature]
Geezer, I'm with you on Global Warming. Just because Al Gore is a liar (like all politicians) doesn't say anything about whether global warming is occurring. But I think you mentioned one commonly held misconception. Petroleum is dirtier than most coal used in the US. Petroleum propelled vehicles are just too inefficient with most of the energy going to produce heat. Electricity from coal is cleaner than a corresponding amount energy from petroleum products. Many anti electric vehicle people think they just shift where the pollution ends up. Does that while lower pollution and greenhouse gases. Plus not dumping boatloads of cash into the Middle East where some of it goes toward terrorism and armies of our enemies.
[signature]
[quote GEEZER]Sumbuddey iz in bad needin uv gittin hiz hed outten hiz butt an hit aint me![/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
Sumbuddey iz in bad needin uv gittin hiz hed outten hiz ohn butt an reedin da sience insted uv da hiperbol an hit aint me!

“To know that you do not know is the best.
To think you know when you do not is a disease.
Recognizing this disease as a disease is to be free of it.”

So when can I expect you to be free? Hhhmmmmmmm?

The facts about GW do not cease to exist just because you choose to ignore them. And if ignorance is truly bliss, you must be deliriously happy. And I’m always glad to see others in a happy state of mind. Now get your butt off the PC and go catch some fish.
[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah