Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon Flats Cats 4-10-14
[#0000FF]Tubebabe wanted to make her first tubing trip of the year. And Lindon is kinda traditional. She loves those kitties. In spite of sorta slow action lately she picked a good day and a good place to smack some cats.

We got launched by about 7:30 am. Air temp 45 and water temp 55 inside the harbor. Dropped a degree in the main lake. Water level average about 4 feet inside the harbor. A few carp showing on the surface but several clumps forming outside the channel. Getting about time for that stuff.

Tubebabe elected to stay closer and fish the flats to the south of the dikes of Lindon Harbor. I motored down to the bubbleup to try to find some walleyes or white bass. Found neither. Nada, zip, zilch. I did find several tightly packed carp clumps. I actually drifted right down on top of a couple in my tube. Got a couple of closeup pics. Also had one big fat humpback female (Lindon dorado) slurp a jig and bend my stick for a few minutes. Future bait.

After about a half hour of seeing no fish on sonar and getting no love on plastic I put out a bait rod to drag a minnow while I pitched lures on the first rod. About 8:15 the line popped from the clip and I was soon bendo on a kitty. Just as I was removing the hook Tubebabe announced on the walkie talkie that she had just netted her first cat. Skunks begone.

We went back and forth for the next hour or so. First she would catch one and then I would. Difference was that she was using two bait rods and I was only using one. But she caught the two biggest...both about 26 inches. We usually release anything over about 24 inches so those are still swimming.

A bit of a SW breeze started to pick up...as it often does in late morning down there. So I left the buoy line of the bubbleup and started fishing two bait rods, while working my way slowly back to the harbor. I had 4 cats in my basket and Tubebabe gloated that she had 5...not counting the releases. So I found a "zone" and smacked several more nice smoker size kitties in short order.

I ended up catching about 10 and keeping eight. Da Babe done good...catching 5 nice ones and 2 more bigger ones. Definitely a good first outing for her, even if she didn't catch a 10 pounder like she did on her first trip last year. She was happy...and that helps keep me happy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
And here i was, stuck at work![Smile] Thanks for the report. Betcha had a fun outing.
[signature]
Very impressive TD! I'm jealous.
I gotta question for you. The bling beads, are they on there as attractant and have you noticed that they make a very big difference? Also, are they floating or sinking and are they effective at all if your are not moving, but holding still on the bottom. I've never really intentionally fished for channel cats using visual attractant (though I have caught them trolling and jigging for other species), and I'm wondering if its more effective and worth the extra rig up hassle?

I'm going to hit cutler possibly tonight and tomorrow morning and I am open to suggestions.
[signature]
Man I would love that carp action on this new toon. Miss Utah Lake clumps.
[signature]
Very good...glad you got out again. That's about the size of the kitties i've been catching up here. The carp, we can do without. They make great fertilizer.

Always a hoot. Great pics of Timp and the Channels.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Those beads are from Cabelas. They are made for walleye fishing...rigging crawler harnesses, etc. And I started adding them when dragging minnows in hopes of attracting more walleyes. They do work on walleyes...sometimes. But they have also accounted for grundles of catfish, wipers, perch and other species. Something about that color combo really increases visibility and attraction. Sometimes I also add a lime green bead.

I actually caught at least 2-1 on beads vs no beads today. On other days they seemingly produce less action than a plain bait with no beads. The fish will let you know.

I know Yote likes a bit of bling on his offerings at times. And I know lots of walleye guys who rig blingy and catch multi species.

And yes, there are times when fish will pick up a beaded bait while it is just sitting on the bottom. But I seldom remain stationary. I am usually dragging the bait with occasional lifts and drops.

There is something else you should look into, if you have not already. Those are Lil Corkies. They are floating plastic round lures designed for steelhead and salmon. But a lot of us Utards have found they are great for fishing a minnow or crawler up off the bottom...with a small sliding sinker above a barrel swivel. Okay on clean bottom but if it is snaggy you will do better fishing under a bobber with beads or a "bobberhead jig". Another one of my innovations.

Good luck on Cutler. I think the warming trend will be getting cats more active all over.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]That one carp in the picture was giving me the fishy eye. I think he was looking for you.

The next few weeks will be carporific.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Always gotta include a pic of Timp for my HGS.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, in lieu of spending bling to get Corky's, try threading on a foam ear plug to float your bait. (For added scent and flavor, try a used earplug...)
[signature]
Hey Tube Dude, nice work there! Man you guys are really set up with those tubes, looks like you got everything you need on those rigs! How do you like to prepare those catfish?
[signature]
Thanks a bunch for that explanation. It was the exact answer I was after. I think I'll start trying it when I'm on the boat drifting. I usually anchor for cats, but have long suspected that I could be missing out on a different strategy that could be just what they are after when just soaking dead bait isn't paying fast enough. Your a great resource my friend!

I've often wondered too, if tying or attaching a tiny cyalume stick right above the bait would pay off at night or if it would scare Mr. Whiskers off. I think I'll try it on a control rod.
[signature]
Great post.

I really have the itch to get out now. I'll have to air up the pontoon tomorrow and start getting my gear together for the post spawn season.

Battery is already charged up and ready to go.
[signature]
Nice run TubeDude and TubeBabe. Now ya done woke em up, or done woke up the wishful armchair anglers who'll likely be out in force this weekend!
Sorry the only "eye" you carp was a carpilicous one. Reminds me of the giant squid peeking over the deck of a grand schooner!

I do like a bit of flash under bobber. No point wasting em if bottom soaking. But I generally find I can get a better lip-set off the hook when bobber fishing, while a sliding sinker rig - by the time they take it and run it was oft well down the gullet, so it's either sacrifice the rig or sacrifice the cat.

I took TD's alternating bead pattern and extended it to include spinner blades. I've tried various styles - the fluorescent orange and green have worked, but I think my best results have come with hammered silver, but tops with hammered gold/bronze. I've mirrored something of TDs perch pattern colors with dots - orange/green/black - maybe an eye spot.

Though if I'm still fishing the blades aren't spinning, but I figure a bit of chop when it's a bit windy (and is it ever not?) makes the blade bounce under a bobber - something to catch their eye through the muddy muck, then something to catch the olfactories when they close in, and a circle or octopus hook (red) to catch their lip when the chomp down.

Sorry the photo is a bit fuzzy, but think you can get the idea.
[inline "Perch Pattern Blades.jpg"]

I've tried beads - no blades, single blade with beads - even some double blade setups - figure they'll clank on each other - ringing the dinner bell if you will.
[inline "CoyotesKittyBling - 400.jpg"]

I usually like to pre-tie some leader setups, and string them on a round holder - like the first pic. The just clip one on and go. If it gets snagged or breaks off - I just clip on another.

My lastest attempt is to try my CapSpinners under a bobber - bit more space between blade and hook, plus the added clink of some BBs in a beer cap. I'll be sure to let you know how they do.
[inline "CSC.Final Lineup.jpg"]

No any of you southern Cat Contest anglers have to burn your eyes out and forget everything you just heard. This post will self destruct in 15 seconds.
BOOM!
It appears I need to go visit Utah lake and shoot up some carp clumps for future cattin trips. My spot down here was gonna be Gunnison Res but they're holding water in it so the carp are spread out and harder to find. Carp clumps make for some explosive bowfishing. Nice trip!!
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]TD, in lieu of spending bling to get Corky's, try threading on a foam ear plug to float your bait. (For added scent and flavor, try a used earplug...)[/quote]

[#0000FF]EEEEEEW! The thought of fishing a nasty old used ear plug is just gross. Almost as gross as some of the smelly concoctions some cat tanglers use...and the fish actually swoon over.

The big appeal of the Corkies...besides floatation...is the range of colors available. And most channel cats are surprisingly "visual". They do respond to things that they can see more easily.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Watershadow]Hey Tube Dude, nice work there! Man you guys are really set up with those tubes, looks like you got everything you need on those rigs! How do you like to prepare those catfish?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks. Yep, we got our craft pretty well tricked out. We get lots of folks commenting on them...both while out on the water and when we are on the ramp. We just say "Well, we can't tow a water skier but they fish pretty good."

Catfish have firm white flesh and can be fixed a lot of ways. But, because they DO take a lot of cooking to render them at their best they are usually better when cooked on the grill or in a deep fryer. I also smoke a lot of them. Good stuff.

See the attachments below.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Riley, if you want some carp you should hit Yuba. Just don't wade out too far. There are a lot of those big skinny Yuba piranhas in there that might wanna nibble on your tender flesh.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD,
great paper on smoking. It's important to me that you rinse the brine only with cold water, makes a big difference with trout and salmon. I also use a fan to dry the fish once rinsed. I sure would like to try some of yours, looks awesome

pardo
[signature]
Nice TD! I've been to UT lake just once and never seen those carp clumps...cool pics! Is that a breeding thing or what exactly are they doing? But nice job on the kitties. Also thanks again for those tubes and heads. I tryed them out that day and didn't get anything with them but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Definitely going practice lots this weekend because this week wasn't a very good week for me. Hopefully the fish will cheer me up [fishon].
[signature]
[#0000FF]I'll be doing another batch on the weekend. You would be welcome to stop by and try some anytime next week. PM me if you would like my address and directions.

I actually have modified my prep process for trimming the fillets before smoking. This pretty much insures removing most of the oils and any flesh that is not prime for smoking and eating. The process is also good for prepping cats either for grilling in a wire basket or even deep frying. See attached.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]