Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to camp near Good Hope Bay?
I posted this on Wayne's Words but there doesn't seem to be as much traffic there, or the people are tight lipped? Anyways here's my question:

We've decided we'll make the trip to GHB...it'll be our first time. We don't want to waste a lot of time searching for a place to camp, any recommendations? We want to be centrally located for all the good fishing areas. I've heard you don't ever want to camp on a big bay like GHB, but from looking at maps, it looks like there are a lot of little arms you could find protection, or am I mistaken? I was just thinking of taking an immediate right at bouy #118 and follow that shoreline until I found a little arm to go set up camp. What say you? Maybe we should just go to blue notch or red canyon?
[signature]
You can drive to red canyon. If it were me I would go a little further north to castle rock, but be warned, bring a truck, the road can go from a little bumpy to a nightmare within a few feet. Check out that big Utah map you can get from sportsmans called the Gazaetter, or something close to it. It lists the roads that run up there. The reason I suggest castle rock is because you can fish both sides of the bay from one spot
[signature]
All things Lake Powell - go to Wayne's Words. There is an extensive listing of camping spots around the lake. I doubt that you will be able to drive into Red Canyon or Blue Notch, well you can drive in, but you can't get to the water as it is about 12-15 ft below the shoreline. There are tons of sandy/gravel beaches in GHB, pick one !!!
Thanks everyone. Like I said I've done extensive research on this (including Wayne's words), but I'm yet to see anybody mark exact sandy campable areas for good hope bay. All I know is we've spent extensive amounts of time searching for camp sites in the past and would like to avoid the same pitfall as before. Just get on the water, drive to an exact known area good for camping, set up shop and get to fishing. But it sounds like it's hard to fail up at GHB so we'll see how it goes.
[signature]
I am not sure of the bouy #, but as soon as you come out of the canyon take that right and head over to the far east shore. There are some nice little places that are protected and should fit your needs. We camped there in late Sept. and found several good places. Have a great time.
I don't know what the water flow from the Colorado river has been, but the water up there gets discolored in the spring and makes obstacles hard to see. It is probably early for that but be careful, it's a long way back.
[signature]
The water has been way down at Lake Powell for several months which will make the shoreline dry and firm in most places. You'll find many good places to camp in the GHB area. Like Wyoguy suggested, the east shoreline of the lower end of GHB has many beaches and some other areas that would offer protection in the event of high w**ds. The fishing has been getting better and that will continue as the temperatures keep rising.
Try throwing some crayfish colored tube jigs tipped with a worm for good walleye fishing along most of the rocky shorelines. Focus on 15 to 25 feet depths. Good luck and have fun.

Mike
[signature]