Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Wolftever Kid, Chickamauga, Crappie, Crappie for Canines Tournament, 4.13.14, Sport Dill
Sport and I had been looking forward to doing the Crappie for Canine Tournament. We pre-fished on Friday, found 3 spots that held fish - mainly docks in 4ft of water. Caught a few nice ones but left them alone. When we started the TX this morning, we headed back to these spots but the fish were gone! We backed up and resorted to what we do best, run and gun. We fished numerous places at different depths. We caught a lot of keepers however finding the larger ones was tough. We managed to get 4 fish over a pound which on a tough day proved to be enough for a win totaling 5.4lbs. The wind was brutal making for a punishing ride down the lake. I used BG Outlaw Special baby shad in 1/32oz and 1/16oz depending on the wind - Sport threw a lot of BG Blue Ice, 1/32oz and 1/16oz. <br /><br />The weigh in was extremely well run and in a perfect spot this year with plenty of room. Candi had tons of prizes, lots of food and drinks, and had great volunteers and sponsors - fantastic job! Richard Simms and News Channel 9 did a great job on the media end, promoting the tournament and helping encourage 29 boats to fish today and double the turnout from last year. Great job everyone!<br /><br />There were a lot of supporters and familiar faces in the crowd including two of the biggest Crappie Giants of the CFF, Maddog and Labman. Both having had recent health issues, it was great to see them out. I'm looking forward to their return and miss their fishing reports. I want to give special thanks to Maddog for the custom jigs he made that was part of the 1st place winnings. He makes them with a lot of love and am honored Sport and I won these today. <br /><br />My buddies Gavin Ainslie and his dad Bryan finished an impressive 3rd and had big fish with 1.66lbs. They fished out of a boat that wasn't much bigger than a canoe. This kid is going to be a terror! He has a big desire and drive to catch fish. Wyatt Coleman, his dad Chris and Jim Cross placed 2nd and Wyatt personally told me he going to "beat me down next year and get his title back" since he won last year. Garrett Wingo (another young gun star) is always out there and was at it again today fishing with his dad Lebron. There is no shortage for the future Crappie Anglers out there guys! I'm am proud to be fishing out there with these young men.<br /><br />