Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
My son and I skipped school and work friday afternoon and took a run to Mantua. We had a few nice hours of conversation completely uninterrupted by such annoyances as fish. Usually you can see fish up under the trees, but the water was so murky we couldn't see a thing. We worked along the trees from the boat ramp around the south side, then along the east side over to the point. We tried worms w/no weight, worms with a BB sized split shot, worms under bubbles, a variety of flies behind a bubble, and different types of spinners, spoons and castmasters. NADA.
First time in my life I've been skunked there. After seeing the water conditions I wondered the lake had rolled over because it was the same color and clarity from the ramp clear across to the point. A dirty dead-mossy brown. I held a white jig body under the water to see how far down I would be able to see it and it disappeared about 10 inches down.
Usually you can find the holes in the middle because of the change in water color, but the only way to tell if you were over a hole was with the fish finder. Nothing in the holes either, not even baby perch.
We drove back up last night just to see what it was like and its still the same, so we are going to wait for another week or 2 and go back and try again.
[signature]
I caught a just a few last night, maybe six In four hours, but with the storm coming it got bad fast and cold. The fish were there in the trees but I saw many in just a few inches of water and the'd run like they were guilty of something. Very tough fishing. Already mossy and muddy from the wind. I think. They were running from my kayak no matter how sneaky I was anyway, so a tin boat maybe too scary!

A bit surprised you didn't do better on friday, because I caught some thursday and friday was warm. The weekend storm put it back a few days again for sure. And now I'm stuck at work for 7 days.
[signature]
All that moss from last summer dies in the cold and decomposes and I'm pretty sure that's what was making the water so murky. I hear you about the storm. Its always amazed me that a front moving through can have such a big affect on the fish. Especially when fishing can be so good during a rain storm that isn't associated with a front. I thought we would try again this week, but I just heard that there's supposed to be another front Wednesday or Thursday. That's spring in Utah I guess.
[signature]