Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Ice
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Well, the ice is starting to form on Hyrum. You can see the ice near the dam starting to build and on the east side you can see the sheltered areas on the north side forming. If the current cold conditions hold you may be able to fish it by New Years![/size][/font]
[signature]
How are the opportunties for catching some Kokes on Porcupine Reservoir?

I have seen peoples report for trolling during summer time but have not seen any reports for hard water fishing?

I know this is near your neck of the woods and appreciate the feedback.

Kokanee fishing & Porcupine Ice Fishing - How would you rate this reservoir?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Muskyhunter is the man to ask. He's a regular at Porcupine. Sorry, never iced fish there.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I am hoping to take a drive up there this week end and see if porcupine has any ice on it. Will let you know later
Lundman,Porcupine can be very good and fast action, but I have spent many days just waiting for the kokes to swim by. I have had the best luck about 150 yds from the dam.Sonar is a must if your going to target the kokes!M.H.
[signature]
Lundman, I spent most of my growing up years on porcupine, I still frequent there alot and have come to determine that porcupine is one of the best fishing holes in the state. not only is the fishing good (if you know where to fish) but the scenery and the seclusion is unbelievable. I thank the DWR and the ACOE every time I go up there for restricting the use of any boats that can cause a wake.

porcupine is one of those puddles that has alot of hidden secrets if you seen it when it was drained. theres alot of rocky cover (good egg hatching territory). it can be diffacult to fish because of the variation in depth and temp.

it also has a definate thermocline it can vary several degrees year round. I'll say that its not a resevoir that you'll guarentee fish out of every cast or even every trip. but, once you learn the bottom terrain you can do very well there.

a few years ago when it was drained they left a small pond there in the bottom and did not allow anybody to fish it. some of them browns that survived that are HUGE. the year that they filled and stocked it we caught 28-30" browns out of there.

I will give out one secret though... on the south side of the dam about 75feet east of the spillway there is a large cliff. the depth is over 100' and the bottom is extremly rocky. there is also a grate at that depth that sucks water out. ( I used to have to walk up the tunnel from the other side and open and close that floodgate) usually any dead fish or plant life, alge gets caught up in there so between the food supply and the cover and the depth theres always a ton of fish there. also the crawdads are prevelent there. mostly small though.

I'll agree that a depth/fishfinder is a + and I hope this helps. I havn't been up there in a few weeks so I dont know the ice conditions, I've been watching the posts and hoping to make it up there around Xmas so if you'd like to take a ride up let me know... I hope this helps DZ
[signature]