Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard tomorrow (Saturday 19th)
It is looking like it may be a fairly nice day tomorrow. Plan to be launching out of the south marina soon as it's light enough to see. Got the boat ready and uncovered. Maybe the skunk family will decide to climb out and go elsewhere during the night. [:/]

Any of you other BFTers see me puttering around in my little Tin-Can out there tomorrow, give a wave. If I'm sittin and soaking worms, pull up and say "hey" .[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Good luck and let us know how it was. Hope its a great day for you.
[signature]
I guess it is too late now but you might have done better launching from the North marina(NM). I got out there on Thursday and caught a few just out of the NM. I talked to a guy as I was leaving that had slayed them at the same location. Water temp and location are key this time of the year. It was 58* just outside the NM. Hope you catch a few Forest.
[signature]
Has anyone heard of any crappie being caught yet? I've been out three times now and haven't been able to find any yet, I would think they should be showing up by now . I'm wondering if the low water level has changed their patterns. You can send a pm if you would like. Thanks for anyone's feedback.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Crappie can turn up anywhere at any time throughout the year. But they don't really start bunching up in traditional spawning areas until the water reaches and remains above 60 degrees...spawning at about 65. That is usually around the first of May and for me Mothers' Day has always been money. Some of the biggest and fattest females show up clear into the first of June during cool springs.

Based on the numbers seen cruising through, under the ice, during the winter I am guessing there will be a goodly number of them harvested this year. However, the average size seems to be about 10 inches. I'm sure there are larger fish but the only ones I have caught or witnessed the last few months have been in that range.

If the water levels keep coming up...and depths inside the harbors get above about 6 or 7 feet...there could be some action inside this spring. Too shallow last year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[inline "(0198) 0638 AM WB south launch.jpg"]
South Ramp launch

Curt, I probably should have tried the north end. There were lots of boats out of the south marina, and several "parked" near the [#ff0000]Red & [#00bf00]Green [#000000]buoys , the weather wasn't bad, but I got a BIG FAT ZERO, zilch, zippo, Nada, skunked. I didn't see anyone else catching anything either, but that could just be cause I wasn't looking their way at the time. [/#000000][/#00bf00][/#ff0000]

Oh, well warmer weather is coming ( I HOPE) .

[inline "(0199) 0752 AM north edge of island.jpg"]

Sitting at the north edge of the island. Island has all 4 shallow corners marked with buoys. Center is about 1.8 ft. under surface of water. Go slow, and watch your depth if you are going in past the buoys.

Have a Good Easter Curt and all the rest of you BFT tanglers.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Well that too bad about the catching but not surprising considering these little cold fronts that keep moving through. I did hear from a friend that said he was out there and almost caught a limit of walleye(5 total), so that is good news, he said he was pulling cranks.
If the island was that shallow then the water level has only come up 2 ft since last Fall when I walked on the Island, when it was out of the water. That is not good news because if that is all it has come up, it is unlikely the Bay will fill this year unless we get a lot more water in the next month.
[signature]