Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rigid pontoon/ kickboat REDUX
Ive got a framed inflatable pontoon and am toying with the idea of replacing the toons with rigid or hard foam types.
I dont require inflatability, since I live a few miles from the waters I fish and can slip whatever I like in the truck bed.

However, the only model Ive seen commercially is the Venture Outdoors 6T. Their toons are available separately, as replacements, according to them.
But Im wondering if there are other options available?
[signature]
I saw a inflatable that was filled with foam in a can stuff. Looked like a mess to me. Ron
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I saw a inflatable that was filled with foam in a can stuff. Looked like a mess to me. Ron[/quote]
Yeah, I wouldn't even attempt that.
I've seen several DIY options which I consider possibilities, generally involving extruded foam and some sort of shell, like resin/glass, plywood sheathing, etc.
But filling a bladder with foam, while intriguing, isn't an option I want to pursue!
[signature]
DH:

You can do a search and look around for a used Hobie fish cat or Seacycle to salvage some usable hulls. Replacement hulls are available from Seacycle but would be expensive new: http://www.meyersboat.com/seacycle/seacy...yparts.htm

Building your own may be the cheapest route, if you have the time and boat building skills. The quickest would be capped large aluminum irrigation tube or perhaps capped large PVC if you can find at salvage. Large bamboo or drop tanks might also work. http://www.wikihow.com/Construct-an-Over...ntoon-Boat
If you do a google search under these materials, you will find U tube videos of boats made from these materials.

Pon

[quote dayhut]Ive got a framed inflatable pontoon and am toying with the idea of replacing the toons with rigid or hard foam types.
I dont require inflatability, since I live a few miles from the waters I fish and can slip whatever I like in the truck bed.

However, the only model Ive seen commercially is the Venture Outdoors 6T. Their toons are available separately, as replacements, according to them.
But Im wondering if there are other options available?[/quote]
[signature]
Seems like a lot of work and expense to avoid a few pumps on each toon before a trip.
[signature]
That's what I was thinking[Smile]
[signature]
[quote BigEZ]Seems like a lot of work and expense to avoid a few pumps on each toon before a trip.[/quote]
Thanks, I've thought the same.
Yet consider this, if just for a moment...

Work? Yes, but not as much as you'd think.
Expense? Yes, but MUCH less than you might think.

Based on the options Ive come up with for DIY toons, I would never have to pump again, even once, for HALF the cost of replacement PVC bladder/skin toons.
For the cost of heavy duty, single chamber inflatable toons, I could make 8 virtually indestructible toons.

Since transport and storage are not issues here, I can forego those two qualities that make inflatables appealing in the first place.

What I'm finding, however, is little middle ground. There are almost no rigid, manufactured toons that I'm willing to entertain for the money. The reason I asked here, in fact, was a kind of last ditch effort.

So, I retain inflatable features, and go with balloon toon replacements - or make my own rigid versions. So be it.

Back to your original question: "Why make them at all?"

It's something I don't mind doing, if I must. Plus, I'd like to have them. Call it my personal Mt. Everest.
[signature]
More than a few pumps might be involved, and your trip might have to be cancelled/delayed with some leak or fabric issues.
Advantages of solid pontoons:
-no packing pumps or pressure guages ever.
-More time on the water for solid pontoons. Load, go, launch/retrieve, then unload.
-no dealing with possible unrepairable leaks causing cancelled trips when unpacking and inflating on location.
-no adjusting pressure when going from warm to cold or for altitude, or bursting concern in full sun.
-no having to return to shore to repair leaks discovered/caused while on the fly.
-no damage or harmful wear with repeated dragging.
-usually the lightweight streamlined rigid pontoons are stronger and require less energy to propel than the closest inflatable equivalent.

Still, I am firmly in the inflatable camp because ONLY they have the capability for the pack in fishing I like, yet can also go where any solid hull goes. I have developed a ritual over the years of carrying small inflatable repair kits, with patches, upholstery thread, valve parts, mouth inflation tube, etc. but only used it a couple of times.

Pon

[quote BigEZ]Seems like a lot of work and expense to avoid a few pumps on each toon before a trip.[/quote]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, of all people I probably understand the idea of wanting to come up with something new...that works. But I have had plenty of "fails" too. Still fun to keep trying.

There have been a few new manufacturers over the years who have introduced solid, bladderless pontoons...and even float tubes. Why don't we see more of them on the water? Must be because most folks prefer the convenience of being able to deflate their craft when not in use...in return for the occasional leak or other maintenance problem.

Why not just get a kayak? Or frame two of them together?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]

... Still, I am firmly in the inflatable camp because ONLY they have the capability for the pack in fishing I like, yet can also go where any solid hull goes. I have developed a ritual over the years of carrying small inflatable repair kits, with patches, upholstery thread, valve parts, mouth inflation tube, etc. but only used it a couple of times.

Pon
[/quote]
I'm not out of the inflatable, camp either. I'm just examining options. I don't mind building things - I've rebuilt truck engines, entire Volkswagens, erected sheds and room additions, etc.... This wouldn't he hard to do. What I'm mainly interested in learning is:
Do I have to do it myself?
If I'm going to re-toon someday, why not look around? I already know I can get inflatable replacements.

But, I don't NEED the main features of an inflatable, like compact storage and transport. I'm not packing in anywhere; I can drive to my fishing area. My shed is spacious and I can store high among the rafters during off season using a pulley system. I only need the assembled pontoon to be light enough to carry.

Extruded foam displaces 60lbs./ft3. For my weight and gear, I need 600, using a 2x safety factor. That's ten cubic feet, or five per side. A foam pontoon, 6' long would weigh in at about 12-14 lbs., and offer an extra 120 lbs. of flotation per pair. With the rigid toons, I will be adding about
10 lbs more to the overall carry weight - that's it. Venture Outdoors' rigid 6T weighs in at 70 lbs, and I can get under that by about 20%. I can achieve my weight goals, it would seem.

As you note, I can also dispense with the downside of all inflatables - leaks and punctures. Set up can be as trouble free as sliding it off the truck bed and into the water. If I must tote the thing a bit to launch, it will be no problem.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Hey, of all people I probably understand the idea of wanting to come up with something new...that works. But I have had plenty of "fails" too. Still fun to keep trying.[/quote]
[#000000]I respect your opinion - one reason Ive asked here. I'm glad for all the responses so far. Fortunately, I don't have to rely on failure, aka, "Experience," to learn. The problem with Experience as teacher is she gives the test before the lesson.
There is information available on doing this - I just have to perform the due diligence and bring it together. I'm about 40-50% along in that.

[/#000000][quote Tube Dude] [/#0000ff][#0000ff][#0000ff]There have been a few new manufacturers over the years who have introduced solid, bladderless pontoons...and even float tubes. Why don't we see more of them on the water? Must be because most folks prefer the convenience of being able to deflate their craft when not in use...in return for the occasional leak or other maintenance problem. [/#0000ff][/quote]
[#000000]Absolutely true. If everyone had a large private lake full of fish, and a big storage garage, they would not need inflatables. If they could just walk out the door to the water and climb on, there would be no need to pack the thing away, or into small cars, etc. But here's the thing - I can get close to that ideal.

I have at least half a dozen launching sites on "my" lake, all within 8 miles of the front door. My truck bed is capacious enough to slide a rigid toon right in. Once at the water, I can slide it off and straight into the water. I might have to tote it 20-30 yards on occasion. That is about it. I could, and probably will, leave it under a cover in the truck between uses during the season. For all these reasons, a rigid is worth considering.
[/#000000]
[quote Tube Dude] Why not just get a kayak? Or frame two of them together?
[/#0000ff][/quote]
I had a kayak a few seasons back. I liked its speed and rigidity. But it had "issues."

- It's low seating was cramped - toons, at least, give more elbow room.
- It gave you a case of the "swamp ass" - its seat wasnt above the hull - it was part of it.
- Its low seating position was a hindrance to fly casting.

Toons share neither of these concerns.

The other thing I didn't appreciate about the kayak was hands full of paddle all the time. Something I've recently seen 'tooners doing is adding a foot deck, where they can sit and fin around their fishing grounds. This hands free aspect appeals to me. Row (or motor) to the fishing and then move to the seating deck.

The cost of a kayak, though, is my main issue - I have a small fishing budget. From experience, anything that satisfies my needs would be many times the cost of building - or even purchasing - toons.

I have the frame for a toon, in hand. I consider it my starting point. Once the current toons give out (I've repaired them once), I'll be looking at the next move.

[signature]
[#0000FF]Your current project perfectly illustrates that there is no single craft that is perfect for everybody...and that each of us has our own ideas about what we want, and why. All I can say is go head on 'til your head hurts. I'm sure you will ultimately come up with something that fills the bill for your unique set of circumstances.

Good luck. I'm sure we all wait with bait on our breath to see what you can work out. Share some pics.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]Your current project perfectly illustrates that there is no single craft that is perfect for everybody...and that each of us has our own ideas about what we want, and why. All I can say is go head on 'til your head hurts. I'm sure you will ultimately come up with something that fills the bill for your unique set of circumstances.

Good luck. I'm sure we all wait with bait on our breath to see what you can work out. Share some pics.
[/#0000FF][/quote]
I'll use my current inflatable-toons for this season.

All this "head hurting" effort is helping me sort out the details. Im a techno geek by nature; I actually like small projects like this. Now I know what materials are needed, how to assemble them, the overall look of the thing, and so on.
Like I asked before, "Do I even need to do this?"
The answer is both a yes and no. I can buy rigids for around $400 per pair. Given that I have time to sort it through, the DIY OPTION remains appealing.
But first, I have an extension on the shed to build - that's my spring project.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]I'm sure we all wait with bait on our breath to see what you can work out.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

A visual pun of this sort is such sweet succor.
[signature]
[quote Watertooner][quote TubeDude][#0000ff]I'm sure we all wait with bait on our breath to see what you can work out.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

A visual pun of this sort is such sweet succor.[/quote]
Just don't hold it (your breath, that is).
[signature]
David, I know this is a old post but I was wondering if you ever build the solid toon's?
I am new to this forum. i have a belly boat but I need to do some pimpem on it. I also build SoF kayaks and have 2 too finis up this winter.
as soon as those are done I will be starting on my new pontoon boat in solid foam. it will be something like the fuzion dst an the gigbob.
if you have not started get some blue foam at HD, gorilla glue, some painters canvas and some good house paint and build the darn toons. if you want more info e-mail me or post a mess to me and I will give you the steps to build.
if you have all ready done this I would like to see what you did.

Outlaw45 [cool]
[signature]
I still have the pontoon, broken down in the shed for storage.
I never built pontoons - I just sprung for a Cumberland float tube.
Unfortunately I now lack shop space for biggish projects like this. Without a room-sized space to work in, its more dream than reality.

That said, I would very much like to see what you have in mind, plans etc. There's a remote chance I may be able to arrange working space, so the interest remains.
[signature]