Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5wt Fly Rod
Been super busy so far this year with rod builds. Have done 8 builds so far with three more starting soon. Hopefully once those three rods are done I will get a chance to build myself a new fly rod. I have a list of potential blanks and plan to get a few in my hand this weekend while in Boise but if anybody has experience with any of these rods or suggestions of something around the same price range I would appreciate the input. I have decided to try and stay around $200 for the blank. So far my options are all 9' 5wts.
R.L. Winston Passport
R.L. Winston VSL
Beulah Platinum
MHX
TFO Pro Series II
TFO BVK(heard a lot of stories of guys breaking theres so it is barely making it on the list)
St. Croix SCIII series blank
[signature]
I have several TFO rods, and really like them, but when I asked them about blanks, they told me they only sell built rods. If you don't mind, where are you getting the blanks? It has been a couple of years, and they they very well may have began selling them...
[signature]
Yes they do sell blanks. And at really good prices. I have a TICRX 6wt that I built last year. I get them from just about any site that sells rod building supplies. I'm actually learning towards the TFO just because you can pick up the pro II for around $80.
[signature]

No criticism is intended here so please don't take this as such. Why does a guy with a nice 6 weight need a 5 weight? I know that I don't flyfish much these days, but when I did, I used a 6 weight most of the time. Then one day something happened and I had to borrow a 5 weight from a friend. To me comparing the 2 rods it was like splitting hairs.

Unless of course, you just want another one. In that case, I guess I get it.[Smile]
H&h, I see what your saying. Part of it is I just want a new rod. The other part is my 6wt is a very fast and very stiff rod. I have a 4wt that is great for very small dries but I has no backbone and is useless in the wind. Hence the need for a 5wt. The 6wt is very unforgiving when on an all day float trip. It can bomb streamers like nobody's business but just isn't a food all around rod. Also its been awhile since I built a rod for myself and the quality of my work is much better than it was when I built the 6wt. I run into alot of people on the river and its always nice to have something advertise what I do. Plus... Can you ever have too many fly rods?
[signature]
I have cast 5 and 6 wts that seem the same. I have also cast many that are very different. Each serve specific purposes. I would never throw dires on my 6 wt, my 5 wts do it better.

Dont buy the bvk Nate. You know how many time I have broken them. Almost all I have seen break is on the #2 section. They cast really well, but WILL break.
[signature]
If you are going to build one with the time and effort why not buy a higher end blank instead of the Asian blanks?
Your 6 wt is a canon, seriously. I know of a few that have that rod and no longer use them because they are ridiculously fast.
Myself I would look into a BIIx blank in a 6 wt. I own very few 5's ad there is little difference between the 5 and 6.

A good all around 4 and 6 wt in a medium action is all one needs.
[signature]
[quote flyfish_88] Plus... Can you ever have too many fly rods?[/quote]

Not that I'm aware of.
[quote hooknhunter][quote flyfish_88] Plus... Can you ever have too many fly rods?[/quote]

Not that I'm aware of.[/quote]

As one that is definitely guilty of it, I think you can. I admit I keep buying in the search of the perfect rod.
[signature]
After having used many different rods and blanks, I have settled on FTX blanks from Dan Craft. When I broke my Loomis GLX, I thought I would never find another rod that fit and fished as well; However, the Dan Craft rods are as good or better than any Loomis or Sage or Winston for a lot less money. And I agree with Flygoddess. I have many 5 weights that just sit in my garage. But my Dan Craft in 4 or 6 weight goes everywhere. Give him a call. Dan will listen to your fishing needs, quirks, conditions, and wheres and will not steer you wrong. Check out www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/dancraft.php‎;
[signature]
I have friends that have Winston and Sage rods built from blanks. They have either cracked or just broke.

I have a Loomis 5wt rod built from a blank. I is almost 20 years old and has been my favorite rod.

[fishon]
[signature]
Interesting. Got to think human error. Maybe setup wrong. Spine issue. An issue i have never wittnessed.
[signature]
My dad and I built 2 fenwick hmg 6 wts and a loomis imx 6wt back 20 years ago. We still have one of the fenwicks and the loomis. Just broken tips[frown] The fenwicks have a softer action, the loomis is fast and great for long casts and punching the wind.

I have found sometimes slight changes in tackle can make a big difference in fishing success. I lost some nice Smallmouth on the river recently..... I went to a stouter rod, braided line, bigger hook. I seem to be putting way more fish in the boat now.
[signature]
I agree.
[signature]
Get the Beluah and do the cork and handle tastefully so it's not ugly like the ones the company makes. Save the TFO BVK if you need a reel but forget it as a rod.
[signature]
FG,
You criticize me for my choice of a 5 wt but yet you just stated exactly why I am looking for one. My TICRX is much like your orvis tip flex, it is good for big heavy flies. It can shoot the line a mile but is very tough in close to mid range. Hence the desire for something a little lighter and with a little more flex. But unlike some that I refer to rod snobs I do not feel that ones needs to spend 4-500+ on a rod because of a name or where it is put together. Guess where the majority of the carbon fiber for the american made rods comes from? ASIA. Plus the major issue with the Asian rods are not the blank its self. Its the components used and the quality of workmanship when the rod is built. And as far as the rest of your comments I did not ask about the high end Winstons or Sages or whatever ridiculously expense rods out there. I asked about the rods I listed specific rods and asked if anybody had experience with those specific makes and models.
[signature]
Thanks riverdog for the specific input. I am actually leaning toward the Beulah I just haven't run across anybody with any real life knowledge or experience of them. I wasn't ever really considering the BVK after hearing how many have owned one and broke it multiple times.
[signature]
Sorry you took it as Criticism. Not my intent.
I offered another point of view. There is a difference in the high end and the budget, was what I was trying to convey.
It doesn't matter as far as catching fish. Just thought if you were building hi end Blanks are in a more reasonable price range was all.
If price of a beautiful rod with years of technology behind the taper makes one a snob, then yes I am guilty.
I will back out of this post and good luck.

Later
[signature]
Post some pictures of whatever you build. I think with the Beulah you're paying for a mid priced blank but going to get a rod that will compete with and beat many of the premium priced rods. After working up to some premium priced rods I've backed down and found many low and mid priced rods that perform extremely well. Some I wouldn't trade for a rod 2 or 3 times the price. Yes there is some crap out there in the same price range so you need to be careful.
Even if you can afford a Porsche or even Ferrari doesn't mean you need one or that it'll do a better job at what you need your vehicle for. I spend the money I save on rods flying to places to fish. I get far more enjoyment out of that than a quiver of $600+ rods would ever give me.
[signature]
You missed the point Riverdog. Building rods is way different than buying pre made.
[signature]