Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 4/26 in the rain
My father, daughter and cousin all joined me for an attempt on Bear Lake to commemerate my birthday. We had second thoughts but in the end the water was calm and there was only a constant drizzle so we decided to launch at Cisco Beach. Our plans to hit the rockpile and 1st and 2nd points were not realized, but I did manage to pull in my first ever mack off the lack in about the worst conditions I can imagine. (minus wind)
I parked the boat in the garage in Bloomington and plan on spending a lot more time and effort next weekend in some better weather conditions, knock on wood.

Thanks go out to BFT members and Darin Pugmire of Pugstone's [url "http://www.fishingbearlake.com/"]http://www.fishingbearlake.com/[/url] for advice on gear and techniques.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, was there any size to the mack? Did you catch anything else?
Were you trolling or jigging when you caught the mac? By the way Darin Pugmire is also a member on BFT although I can't remember his user name right now.
[signature]
He was just a pup. 22 1/2" to him. Caught him towards the South Eden area on an orange and chartreuse wedding ring tipped with a worm pulled behind a cow bell rig in about 50 ft of water. That was the only one we landed, did have one other hook up. It was so cold and wet we didn't have the endurance for more than a couple of hours, even in complete rain gear.
We were planing on doing some jigging, but we were doing test run on new fish finder as well and are still figuring out the settings to spot fish. Never made it even close to the rockpile.
[signature]
Not too bad, better than a 10 inch mac[Wink]. Yea, it is a long ride over to the Rock pile from the East side, especially when it is cold and rainy.
[signature]
I swore I uploaded a picture when I originally posted, apparently not. I just added a pic.
[signature]
That is a decent mac, what were you fishing from when you caught it?
[signature]
Fishing from the attached rig. 14' aluminum with 5hp Merc and a 55# minnkota electric. Just south of cisco on cow bell rig pulling a Mack's orange and chartreuse wedding ring tipped with worm. Not sure on depth, no downrigger yet and still figuring out new fishfinder. Think it was in 50' water, probably down 20-25'.
[signature]