Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gizzard shad question
Has anyone on here caught gizzards by way of lure or bait? I know just about anyone who is using them for bait is netting them. I found myself in a cove out at mead yesterday that was just full of gizzards. Hundreds of them and they were very active. The way they were hitting the surface would lead me to believe they were going for insects on surface. Has anyone tried to tie on a fly or chunk f night crawler to land any gizzards??
[signature]
I caught a huge one on a lipless crankbait in gizzard shad colors. It was a full on lip hook and not a snag like some of the other people that have caught them on lures. Lol. Probably not the answer that you were looking for.
[signature]
The Gizzard shad release eggs at the surface , i have had luck casting outside the shad area of activity with some random stripers taking the hook.
[signature]
The surface activity is a part of their spawning process, as Mohave Red pointed out. I haven't tried, but imagine that trying to catch them on hook and line would be hit or miss. The most efficient and effective way to catch them is with a cast net in shallow water. It's really easy if you go into the back of the wash where the inflow is.
[signature]