Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE SHANTY BUILDERS ?
DID ANY OF YOU BUILD AN ICE SHANTY THIS YEAR ?

I'M MAKING A NEW ONE , MY FIRST ATTEMPT IS A LITTLE TOO HEAVY TO USE ON THE ICE , LET ALONE DRAG IT . OH WELL I HAVE A NEW HUNTING BLIND FOR NEXT YEAR .

HOW ABOUT POSTING A PIC OF YOUR HANDY WORK . CONSTRUCTION OF MY NEW ONE BEGINS TOMORROW , AFTER A LITTLE FISHING OF COURSE .
[signature]
the heaviest part is going to be your floor since you have to use a plywood floor. use 2"X2" studs for the walls and use the 2" or even the 3" foam insulation, usually comes 4"x8" sheets . Find some siding or tin and tin the out sides of the walls and roof.
[signature]
THIS TIME I'M GOING HOME MADE PORTABLE WITH A SET OF SNOW SKIS , 2X4 RUNNERS WITH 1/2 HOLES DRILLED IN THEM FOR E.M.T. CONDUIT FRAME (BENT INTO AN ARCH . PLYWOOD FLOOR AND A PULL OVER PLASTIC TARP WITH ROPE FOR TIE DOWNS .
[signature]
hey lonehunter, haha i,ve seen some of those new bird blinds, has a boat with a hole set up where it,s a tent sittin in the boat, i guess i want to say. hha then you can take the bottom of the tent part spread it out some on the ice, make your hole on the outside and fish in it. if the water starts meltin you,ll still be safe. hha i,d do that, haha[Smile]
[signature]
well i'm about 50% done with mine , it'a portable sled with a wind break , fish finder & battery , chair , augre , rods and tip ups , ice scoop , bait bucket , saftey rope , coleman lantern , ice tackle box , and a lunch box .
[signature]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2116;]

a couple skis mounted to som 2x4 runners , box for the gear and to keep my feet off the ice , my old wind break , rope to pull it with , everything stores in the box and pulls with one finger and fits in the jeep .

total material price - under $10.00 , not to bad ! i spend more than that on bait during a week .
[signature]
I build an 8' x 8' shant out of 1 x2" lumber and cover both sides with lumber tarp. The walls and roof are built seperate, then screwed together with about ten big deck screws out on the ice. Be sure to anchor any light weight huts to the ice! The wind can do weird things to a hut tumbling down the ice, not to mention anyone in its path!
[signature]