Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backsplash problem
This spring I installed a new fill hose and a new gas cap on my boat. Now when I fill the tank I get frequent back splashes. I realize this is the result of improper venting, but how do I solve the problem?

Because the tank is located in an extremely difficult place to reach I was thinking of trying to insert a small tube into my tank each time I fill it and see if that might work (hopefully, there is still room for the nozzle and the tube.

Any thoughts?
[signature]
Am I the only one who has had this problem?
[signature]
Is it possible that you removed the tank vent when you replaced the hose? Sounds like the small tube idea is worth a try.
[signature]
Anything is possible. I just slid the old hose off of the tank and slid the new hose back on and tightened the clamp. Where is the tank vent located and what does it look like?
[signature]
I have no idea where yours is located but mine comes out on the side of the boat. I guess it is possible that somehow the vent got blocked with something, like a wasp or some kind of bug. Maybe you knocked the vent connection off and did not notice it.
[signature]
Took a quick look and couldn't see any vent, but I will look again. Wish I knew how to reach Danny Reay (Danzilla) (he installed it) but I have lost track of him over the years.
[signature]
Try contacting Geezer he does work on older boats and he might be able to help you.
[signature]
If Randy (N.E.T.O.), former auto mechanic, doesn't have any ideas on Saturday I will be contacting Geezer.
[signature]
I got the problem solved. I had replaced my previous gas cap with an expensive stainless steel one. The cap was connected, by chain, to a nipple inside of a stainless steel tube. That nipple prevented the nozzle from going any further down into the filler hose. I removed the new cap, and using my hack saw, cut off the lower section containing the nipple. Now the nozzle can go down further into the filler hose and the problem was solved. You would think that the engineers would have tested their fancy gas cap and discovered the problem before they started selling it.
[signature]
Glad you figured it out Kent, what made you think to try that?
[signature]
I knew that it couldn't hurt, because the nozzle would not go in as far as it did before I got the new one. I also bought a filler funnel to use if that didn't solve the problem. The problem with using a filler funnel is that I would not know when the tank was full and I need to leave a little space to add the oil to the tank.
[signature]