Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba this weekend
I'm planning to make another run up to Yuba this weekend, but can't seem to find to many reports. Seems like the water i staying colder then I would like, and every time it almost warms up we get a rain storm to drop it back down.

I am wondering if anyone has been out recently for any fish species, pike, walleye, etc. If so, how was your luck, and are you willing to pass along any advice for what has been working?

I also heard rumor that there are actually trout in yuba (though I have never caught one.) Anyone able to speak to that?

EDIT: I will also be camping and have 4 kiddo's nieces and nephew, that I hope to get some fishing time with. Has anyone had any luck with the perch at Yuba, especially from bank? I will have the boat but with 4 kids I think from bank may be easier.

IF anyone has had perch luck, any suggests on location and setup? Standard worm and bubble has almost always worked for me but you never know.

[signature]
[#0000FF]There have been a couple of reports in the past few days but no good ones. The fish are there but are turned off by storms and low water temps. They usually like a bit of chop but not if it's cold too.

Haven't heard of any walleyes but they should get active...after their spawn. May and June are usually pretty good if you can find the fish.

There were a LOT of trout in Yuba for a while. After they dropped the lake to nothing...to repair the dam...DWR planted a bunch of rainbows to provide a fishery while other species came back. The low water had allowed the fathead minnows from the Sevier River to explode in population and the trout grew big and fat on them...until the growing perch population finished off the minnows. Before that there were rainbows up to 8#...and lots of 5-6 pounders.

The big ones spawned and died out and the growing northern pike population ate or harassed the others to death. Haven't seen or heard of any trout for a few years now.

Here are a few from the brief glory days.

[inline "FOUR VOLUNTEERS.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Those are beautiful !

I enjoy having a good shot at Pike, and I like to see a few places that can hold them, so i'm partially OK with having missed that. (especially when I bring in a 15 pound pike)

Now we need a few rainbow fisharies that can keep up some good fat rainbows like that so I can split up my weekends between lakes [fishin]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yuba is one of those lakes where the players keep changing. For a couple of years we get good perch and walleyes. Then there is a crash and it takes a while for the lake to reestablish an ecology. Factor in the droughts and drawdowns and it's lucky we ever have anything to fish for in there.

I have fished Yuba going back to the 70's. There have always been a few pike but usually a better mix of perch and walleyes. After the big drawdown ending in 2004 the pike were the top predators and they have bullied all the rest of the species into submission...except the carp.

Can't say as I have ever seen any water in the western states that had better pike fishing than we have right now in Yuba. But, with current low water levels and less than 30% water year in the Sevier River drainage it don't look so purty good for Yuba by the end of summer.

But it was fun while it lasted...again. Wonder how many times that will be repeated in the future.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Throw a worm on the bottom, wait 5 minutes, and reel in a carp!

Seriously they are in there thicker than fur on a cats back. If you don't get bites within 15 mintues, try another beach.

I like a size 1 or 2 hook, 12 inches of leader, a sweivel, and a 1/2oz egg sinker.
[signature]
I've got to drive down to richfield tomorrow for work, I'm planning on launching a toon at painted rocks on my way back. I'll be sure and report on what happens!
[signature]
Thanks! Any report is a welcome one.
If you happen to find some perch I can target for the little ones that is probably my biggest want for this trip.

(i'm sue I can get some time targeting pike and walleye for myself a little on the trip.)
[signature]
The perch are extremely hard to find. Last time I heard of anyone pulling one out was my friend from 2012-2013 ice season but the dnr should be tossing the perch from fish lake to yuba soon.
[signature]
Here is a pic of a 13" perch I pulled out of Yuba this past January.
(don't mind the pike its just a distraction to the perch) lol.
[signature]
Thats a pretty big perch, and pike, what pike? Actually that is a killer picture Smile

I know that DWR planted something like 80,000 prespawn perch 8-12 inches in Yuba back in March I believe. O well I have 3 days where I get to just drive around the lake and learn more about it.

EDIT: maybe I was mistaken about the perch transplant. I thought it had already happened. I can't seem to find the article I was referencing. O well.

Hey everyone, I'm hoola bob's wife and I just wanted to add that I was the one that told him 50,000 pre spawn perch. Yuba posted it on their facebook page way back that they are stalking them first couple weeks of May.. posted on the facebook page it says "I might add that the DWR is stalking 50,000 Yellow Perch fish into Yuba Lake the first couple of weeks in May! They well be pre spawn fish. Fishing should really pick up!"
[signature]
There are still a few BIG, FAT rainbows in there as I have caught a couple with one of them being very big and FAT but they are few and far between.
[signature]
I did make it out last night, beautiful sunny day and little wind...but no fishies. It wasn't for a lack of blips on my sonar, I found plenty of something but nothing that wanted to take a swing at my lures.

Fished from 2' out to 25', I fished flies, cranks and spinner baits.
[signature]
I've been down there twice this year. Blanked twice this year also. I was there two weekends ago. A little windy but it didn't stop us. Fished with just about everything we could think of. At one point we just started talking to other boats to see if it was just us. Dudeman at the ramp had one tiger about 30" long. That was it.
[signature]