Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Salmon counts.
I do a lot of fishing for both salmon and steelhead in Idaho. I am a product of the Thayne Huntsman school of salmon and steelhead fishing and have probably fished with most of you on this post at one time or another. It is fun to see the banter and learn from all of your experiences.

I am excited for the upcoming salmon season on the LSR and hopefully the upper salmon river.

I have fished with both mono and braid for salmon and steelhead in Idaho and Alaska and each line has it's place. For steelhead, I usually lean towards a high vis mono because I have had some bad experience with braid in the extreme cold. And usually the CFS when I am fishing sunbeam is 400-900 so I don't tend to get a huge belly in my line and face it, mono is a little easier to tie and get back in the water.[Wink]

In warmer weather with faster water in both Idaho and Alaska I will fish for salmon with braid 100% of the time. It stretches less and gives you that extra advantage when you are trying to bury that hook on a salmon. I have burned my thumb way too many times with mono and I like the braid option because I like to thumb my real as a secondary drag. The other thing I love about braid is that it does not have memory.

I believe you will miss a few fish with mono in faster water because you simply just can't catch up as easily. And the heavier the mono the more belly you are going to produce.

I look forward to seeing you all on the river for this upcoming season. I will be the one with my Shimano Chronarch spooled with a good quality hi yellow vis braid and hopefully with a fish on......
[signature]