Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shad Barrels
Found this on the web.
I have sent them an email as well.

[url "http://bassblaster.bassgold.com/cheating-at-mead-amistad-leaking-crankin-tips"]http://bassblaster.bassgold.com/cheating-at-mead-amistad-leaking-crankin-tips[/url]#

'Shad barrel my butt!'Quote from BassBlaster reader who sent in these picsBig Grinig this:> Went out last Saturday morning with my brother who came down to visit. Took him down to Vegas Wash where it seams these big bass keep getting caught in team tourneys. Lo and behold look what I snag in the back of one of the deeper coves.> Showed the photos to a bunch of bass tourney friends, they were as mad as I was. I took the barrel and sunk it in 250' of open water in the middle of the lake.> Then I get a phone call that…"the stripper fishermen are making these" to put shad in, and sink them in the back of the coves, to draw the strippers in. Ya RIGHT….Craziest part is…shad will attract STRIPPERS?! Hahahaha!

My email response:

Really!?!First of all it's spelled Striper! You are referring to show girls on a pole with the double P. That barrel is for Shad, not storing Bass in the wash. Second the Stripers are not attracted to the barrel full of Shad..There is nothing in the AZFG or NDOW regulations from people storing bait at the lake. As for sinking a barrel that one has "snaged" in shallow water then sinking it in 250ft of water that is a violation.
[signature]
[cool]Pardon my ignorance but is it really okay to store legally netted shad in barrels and leave them in the lake?
I just curious. Never heard of this before.
[signature]
There are no rules about/ or against storing Shad in the regulations.

I have check with NDOW and AZFG and they said their is no information for or against this subject.
[signature]
or that was just someone's ghetto live bait well that they had tied to the side of their boat that broke loose and sank
[signature]
Really not sure why I'm chiming in yet since I'm not totally sure how I feel about storing shad... I mean it really gets under my skin when I see guys back there netting shad all day long to kill and take home and freeze but then again its legal since there is no limit just as apparently there are no rules bout storing bait. But my question is how ethical is it? I mean you earn every shad you catch at mead most times but kinda like releasing fish to be caught again why not just catch bait you need today and then again tomorrow? Ya I'm leaning towards its not cool but that's only my opinion.
And it would be hella cool to pull into a cove and find a barrel full of shad and 50 striper sitting there staring trying to figure out how to get in... hahaha I wish a bucket of bait would attract striper when I have it tied to the side of the boat instead of gulls...
[signature]
It's feast of famine with the shad. Right now we have as they say a boom in the shad population.
[signature]
Ya its funny how that goes with the shad. Some years they are far and few between and others u could get em with a dip net it seems. I havnt been striper fishing since bout February been spending all my time bass fishin up north or mohave. So are theyall over the wash now or mainly in the flow area in the very back? I'm gettin the striper itch again...
[signature]
Not in the flow areas so much but the coves more towards 33 hole. They are spacing again so look for the popping on the surface. Don't feel bad about catching shad we barley make a dent in the shad population. But again don't get back in the wash and waste a resource by filling the coolers full of bait.
[signature]
Thanks dude. Ya I never feel bad bout catchin shad. But like you said conservation is the key my friend.
[signature]
Seems pretty simple to me. Creating artificial structure without permission is basically littering and dumping into the lake. Wouldn't necessarily be in the "NDOW regs" would be in the against the law don't do it book of laws. Could you imagine if it was legal? People driving cars into the lake creating their own little shad hideout to attract "strippers".
[signature]
Talked to NPS over the weekend at the safe boating expo.
Looks like it will be address soon. The issue with the barrels is it would be creating a hazardous navigation device.

Litter may be an issue as well.
[signature]
I don't like it. If I find a barrel I'm gonna drag it out to the channel.
[signature]
Then what, be like the other guy and sink it?
[signature]
Ya I will [:p]

[laugh]

It's pretty obvious there your barrels or someone you know. If you guys are so hardcore, why not just tow the barrels around with you. I thought you fished 3 days straight? I know sometimes you can't find the shad, but I don't like the idea of having personal shad storage barrels at the lake.
[signature]
This could be the biggest controversy on here since TomRadioStone or whatever his name was got mad at me for killing carp...

How is the carp popualtion on Mead? Hope I did not damage it too much.
[signature]
[quote Dan79]This could be the biggest controversy on here since TomRadioStone or whatever his name was got mad at me for killing carp...

How is the carp popualtion on Mead? Hope I did not damage it too much.[/quote]

buhahahahaha!! I remember when that happened. and I don't know, but I havent caught as many carp recently as I used to before u killed those fish LMAO!! [sly][fishon]
[signature]