Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any pointers
I'm hoping I can find some pointers on hooking some fish on Utah lake.

I moved here about 3 months ago from Las Vegas. I'd done a fair amount of fishing on Lake Mead for strippers. I wasn't super good at it, but usually came home with at least one or two fish big enough for eating. I'm not having much success on UL so far. Pretty much been skunked the last 4 times out.

I've looked through some old posts for Utah lake and get the idea that shrimp, worms, and carp pieces are decent choices. I've tried soaking earth worms, small frozen uncooked shrimp from the meat section at the grocery store, and 3" Gulp minnows.

Mostly I've used a slightly downsized version of what worked well on Lake Mead, which has been a Carolina rig with a 3/8 oz bullet weight, bead, and swivel about 24 inches above a number 2 baitholder hook with a medium action rod. I'm fishing from my kayak or float tube, usually out of AF harbor. So my range is somewhat limited.

Any pointers on where to go on the lake? The water is so shallow and the bottom so flat relative to Lake Mead, I'm kind of stumped on what to look for location wise.

Also, any pointers on what rig to use? I'm thinking I need to downsize to a light action rig with smaller baits.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here are a few ideas for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hi and welcome to Utah fishing.

My first pointer would be to use a more complete Subject on your posts. Some of our members have slower connections and only want to open threads that interest them and also one is often likely to get more replies if a post attracts attention. A subject such as , "Help, I have fished Utah Lake several times with no luck" would work.

[size 3]Pat's write-up gives you everything you need to know to be successful. I will reinforce a couple suggestions from his excellent material.

[/size]
[font "Arial"][size 3]"May is a magic month for cataholics. Once the water warms toward the 65 degree mark the cats first go on a feeding binge and then start congregating around rocks and shoreline reeds and brush."

[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]"When casting only a short distance from shore...or when anchored or slow drifting while afloat...it is often effective to fish without any additional weight other than the [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]bait...and maybe a swivel."

[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]"A whole lot of Utah Lake cat fans have learned that kitties hang out in fairly shallow inshore waters at times...where there might be brush, rocks and reeds. Using a bobber to float the bait above the nasty stuff saves[/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 3] time and tackle."[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]Don't let the shallow water concern you. When I first started fishing Utah Lake from a boat I instinctively moved out into deeper water and got skunked. Went fishing with a guy, who knew what he was doing, and I caught catfish after catfish, casting within three feet of the shoreline in water that couldn't have been over six inches deep. We were fishing about this same time of year in the middle of the day, in bright sunshine.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 3]They are expensive, but when fishing with shrimp (which I will be doing in a couple hours at Utah Lake) I prefer the large raw ones still in their shells. Sometimes I will peel off a little of the shell to release more flavor. Keep them partially frozen or as cool as possible.

I will also send you a PM with some suggestions on where to fish.
[/size][/font]
[signature]
Tube Dude - Your generosity and willingness to share information is amazing. Thanks for all the helpful posts over the years.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I appreciate your appreciation. Hope you are well rewarded as you try the suggestions you receive from others as well. We have quite a few Utah Lake fans on the board and most are willing to share.

Of course we expect to see a lot of good reports from you too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Don't feel bad. UL is one of my home turf areas and got skunked there my first 4 times out, just got my first cat a couple weeks back.

It should be on. All I would say is lay hold of some fish meat: carp, chubs, perch, white bass, etc. and get back out there.

My favorite rigs are just bobbers and slip sinker rigs. You'll get into them.
[signature]
Thanks for the input, and a special thanks to TubeDude. Your information is very generous and impressive. I'm going to try and get back out on the water after work either Tuesday or Wednesday around 5:30pm and see how it goes.
[signature]